Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The FA Cup

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
Although not a lot of people support Darlington, and their new stadium is like a white elephant (3,000 in a 25,000 stadium each week !) they do have a fair amount of loyal fans and have been successful in League 2 for the past 3 seasons duck

I remember The O's frequent encounters with Darlo at Brisbane Rd and at Feethams. Indeed I have stayed in beautiful Middleton in Teesdale for numerous weekends when the O's were playing there and since then when they were not. Darlo's fan base was usually the only one worse than the O's in terms of numbers, but now I learn from Rhodes that they were just fake wannabees. It's heartbreaking to think that all my witty terrace songs fell on Toon ears only and my cutting banter meant nothing to them.

Back to Middleton. I remember renting a cottage there donkeys years ago over Christmas & New Year. 10 of us having a great time. Whilst there I rang Darlo's ground to see if their Boxing Day fixture was on (can't remember who against now). Got chatting and said person on phone said he would leave us tickets for free on the gate. Turned out he was the Chairman and we had a great day out at Feethams as his guests. The old quirky ground is sorely missed.

Nellie will be able to put us right on this when she next comes on unless of course she sits on the fence as usual, I'm sure she will agree with me for once.

thats Hartlepool, I thought this thread was about Darlington's loyal fan base doh

'We' are Darlos big rivals and not getting a mention in the mix up!

NeutralFan - It's not a mix up though, Hartlepool fans side more with Middlesbrough and Sunderland, that's why Darlington v Hartlepool games are always like World War III and make Celtic v Rangers seem like a teddy bears picnic.

Personally I've never read what the fighting was like in World War III but I can imagine...

Oh.. and as always, you're talking b*llocks!

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan

Oh.. and as always, you're talking b*llocks!

So you have been to a Darlington v Hartlepool game then!

Isn't it high time we started discussing the eagerly awaited FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round ties this weekend and highlighting one or two games of particular interest. The tie for me is still very much Retford United v Alfreton Town for obvious reasons:

Hinckley United v Curzon Ashton

Kettering Town v Burton Albion

Tamworth v Barrow

Kings Lynn v Kidderminster Harriers

Boston United v Cambridge United

Droylsden v Belper Town

Retford United v Alfreton Town

Northwich Victoria v AFC Telford United

Blyth Spartans AFC v Sheffield

York City v Mansfield Town

Fleetwood Town v Nantwich Town

Wrexham v Eastwood Town

Stevenage Borough v Horsham

Woking v Ebbsfleet United

Hampton & Richmond Borough v Brackley Town

Oxford United v Hayes & Yeading United

Maidstone United v AFC Wimbledon

Team Bath v Salisbury City

Dorchester Town v Bishop's Stortford

Oxford City v Eastbourne Borough

Ashford Town (Middx) v Forest Green Rovers

Evesham United v Rushden & Diamonds

Bury Town v Basingstoke Town

Burgess Hill Town v Harlow Town

Grays Athletic v AFC Totton

Aylesbury United v Sutton United

Torquay United v Chipstead

Leiston v Lewes

Crawley Town v Havant & Waterlooville

Weymouth v AFC Hornchurch

Durham City v Histon

Newcastle Blue Star v Altrincham (Sunday)

Originally Posted By: Rhodes on 13/10/08

Weymouth v AFC Hornchurch

Wader - Yes, easily the match of the round and I think Hornchurch will put up more of a fight than Potters Bar Town did at Woking two seasons ago at the same stage, Weymouth aren't pulling up any trees this season and lost tamely at Cambridge United on Saturday.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Isn't it high time we started discussing the eagerly awaited FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round ties this weekend and highlighting one or two games of particular interest. The tie for me is still very much Retford United v Alfreton Town for obvious reasons:

So at what point in the last 10 days did you change your mind Rhodes, and why?

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
This is of course very simply explained.
The match of the round for rhodes is Hornchurch away at Weymouth, whilst the tie of the round is Retford v Alfreton.

Matches and ties are very different as any cravat wearing pipe smoker will tell you.

Have I spoken to him in the bar at Meadowbank, TSF ?

bolt

Originally Posted By: thespursfan

Matches and ties are very different as any cravat wearing pipe smoker will tell you.

Lol, that sums up Sjj2112 nicely, I'm sure his wife has his pipe and slippers ready and waiting when he returns from his groundhopping adventures two or three times a week.

Sjj2112 - I said the tie of the round for me was Retford United v Alfreton Town however the match of the round is clearly Weymouth v Hornchurch, I never changed my mind about that.

There is a difference in that you might use the word tie to refer to a cup fixture, but not a league one. However, as we are talking specifically about a round of the cup here, there is clearly no difference apart from extreme back tracking - which I might put to Caroline could be a feature on The Non-League show. Being an expert in this field it could be Rhodes first big broadcasting breakthrough grin

Oxford United v Hayes & Yeading United is the tie of the round, with a potential upset on the cards...duck

Greg Dyke - I couldn't agree more particularly with Josh Scott on fire at the moment for Hayes & Yeading and scoring goals for fun, it's certainly a tie I would like to be at tomorrow.

FoRM were at the Kingstonian v Hayes & Yeading game in the last round. To be honest apart from score a penalty Josh Scott did next to nothing in the game and we were a little disappointed by his perforance given the 'rave reviews' about him from certain quarters. However that was only one game and he does have a good record.

FoRM have picked their game for tomorrow's FA Cup outing, a chance to visit a ground we haven't been to for about 15 years.

Oxford United v Hayes & Yeading United is the tie of the round, with a potential upset on the cards...duck

Greg Dyke - I couldn't agree more particularly with Josh Scott on fire at the moment for Hayes & Yeading and scoring goals for fun, it's certainly a tie I would like to be at tomorrow.

So why don't you go?
Saw Hayes in the last round and your mate Scott got subbed by the manager as he wasn't really contributing anything to the game. He had scored a penalty though.