Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Urchins v Hastings - Match Report

Serious Sid

Hornchurch made one change from Saturday. Rickie Hayles needed stitches following his injury at Harrow and Michael Spencer came in to the starting line up, with Andy Tomlinson coming into the squad. Dave Collis was still unable to play due to his injury in the Aveley match. Dave Collis was the only player who did not feature in the starting line up at Hastings in October, together with Ross Wall (now with Great Wakering) and James Morrish, who were in the squad. In marked contrast Hastings fielded a much changed team, with only two substitutes. In all there were eleven players ‘missing’ from the October match

– Clark Masters –Jimmy Elford – Nathan Russell – John Beales © - Tim Olorunda – Nick Barnes – Michael Phillips –– Fraser Logan – Frankie Sawyer – Glenn Whittaker– Tony Dolby

Once again it was a very misty night at the Bridge, and once again a low crowd, no doubt in part caused by the almost inevitable clash with a televised match, in this case Manchester Utd. To put this into perspective, just up the road another Isthmian League match was taking place, before a crowd of just 62. Hornchurch kicked towards the windmill end of the ground in the first half, and it was Dave McSweeney who first penetrated the visiting defence with a long range shot which was fielded by keeper Seb Barton. Hastings looked a far better side then their league position suggested, and a Russell Eldridge centre from the left caused some concern until Sam Holloway headed the ball away to safety. Hornchurch almost took the lead following a Jonathan Hunt free kick, which sailed into the goalmouth so Frankie Curley to power his header inches over the bar.

A McSweeney throw to Elliot Styles was touched back but the resulting cross went too close to Barton in goal who easily gathered. Hornchurch built up the pressure and it was Curley to took a pass from Ronnie Fletcher and then placed the ball in front of Martin Tuohy, whose shot was well saved by Barton. A Hunt corner fell invitingly to Tuohy, whose spectacular overhead kick sent the ball just inches over the bar. Hastings looked dangerous when they came forward but Darren Behcet had little to do, and the only threat came from a corner which was overhit and cleared comfortably by Holloway.

Josh Jirbandy and Russell Eldridge were booked within seconds of each other, whilst Dave McSweeney appeared to win the ball fairly from Ben Billings but the referee thought otherwise and McSweeney was booked for the second time in two matches for what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate tackle. A Tambeson Eyong run was halted by a timely interception by Ryan Storrie who conceded a corner. Sam Holloway took the kick but flighted the ball too low and Sean Ray cleared. McSweeney set up Eyong but Tambeson’s shot was blocked by a defender, and the first half came to a surprising conclusion with less than one minute of stoppage time being played.

The mist which hung around the floodlights for the fourth match in succession slowly lifted, and the half time discussions were centred around the incessant and completely unnecessary banging of a drum on the east side. Young children have to go to bed early, there are workers on shift work, and they do not need 25 minutes solid banging on a drum. Surely it is time to ban this racket.

Hastings started strongly in the second half, forcing a corner, which came to nothing, whilst Hornchurch began to lose some of their rhythm. Michael Spencer created an opening for Sam Holloway but Sam skied his shot way over the bar. Hornchurch looked dangerous when Eyong raced through the centre, but was pulled down. Surprisingly there was no card waved and Jonathan Hunt stepped up to take the free kick, on the edge of the area. The ball cannoned off a defender and was grasped by keeper Barton on the line. Spencer gave Lewis Smith an opening but Storrie tackled to avert the danger. The ball was played only as far as Holloway, who crossed into the middle where Frankie Curley headed narrowly wide.

Russell Eldridge had a long range shot blocked and the play was confined to midfield with both defences on top. Kieron St Aimie came on to replace Martin Tuohy, and Kieron ran on to a long ball from Darren Behcet but placed his shot wide. Tommy Black then came on for Michael Spencer, and Black operated on the left side with St Aimie in the middle. Ronnie Fletcher headed away from an Eldridge free kick, but when Elliot Styles missed a tackle, Frankie Curley’s attempt to clear the danger ended in the Hastings forward being tripped, and, to the delight of the Hastings following, who made themselves heard loud and clear, a penalty was the only possible decision. Up stepped Sam Adams, and he hit the penalty to Darren’s left. Darren dived and held the shot, which was just as well as Adams was following up for any loose ball.

Sam Collins came on for Tambeson Eyong. Black switched to the right, St Aimie stayed in the middle, and Lewis Smith and Collins were on the left wide. And it was Tommy Black who began to create problems in the visiting defence. Hastings went close when Eldridge fired in a free kick which skimmed the bar, but with Black now

prominent in every attack the Hastings goal came under some heavy pressure. With just 24 seconds left on normal time, Sam Holloway took a throw on the left, Jonathan Hunt played the ball into the goalmouth, Tommy Black drew two defenders out of position and KIERON ST AIMIE placed the ball firmly into the net. Three minutes stoppage time was indicated, and Hunt locked up one of those minutes by keeping the ball close to the corner flag, and Hastings could not get the ball out of defence. With Billericay dropping two points at home, Hornchurch are once again back in the play off positions. And for Hastings it was a long trip back down the A21.

Been a while guys! How are tricks down at Upminster?

Why? Drums are great - why does your cub want to ban them? Sounds like the author needs to get out more! This is football, people want to hear noise. The ground was probably there long before the neighbours moved in I reckon.

The club do not want to ban the drums,just a couple of senile nutters who seem to want to watch football in piece and quiet and of late seem to want to moan about everything.

No wonder the fans are staying away with ridiculous statements like that.

As one person said last night,if I am in my own I stand on the eastside because I like the atmosphere,if I bring my kid along I sit down,it's just common sense.

If the reporter doesn't like it I suggest he sits on the other side of the ground where there is a press box and not in his position he currently sits in which is the directors box which I thought was for directors and their guests

Yeah but that was on the other side of the ground so didn't affect his highness

For what its worth, I would have thought that most non league clubs would welcome drums, brass instruments ect, even the chattering of dentures are better than no noise at all on a cold night, and if its cold enough they can sound like the rattles of old.

This is getting ridiculous now to be honest.Instead of talking about football we are constantly talking about match reports and letters to papers and the league,it is starting to take the gloss off what could be a very good season and all because one or two people just can't help themselves.A match report is written to give people a report on the match,that's why it's called a MATCH REPORT not MATCH MOAN UP

To be honest,any more bollox like this and I will stop doing the travel,50/50,organising darts nights and involvement in the Supporters Association because it's starting to get on my tits and belittling all the good work the owners and various other people put into the club,I have far too much to do at the moment trying to start a business up without having to justify my involvement to Alice when all I have done is moan to her the last few weeks about stupid match reports because a group of passionate fans who love their club want to get behind their team and letters to the league by so called fans whose only intention is to stitch their own club up,it's just ridiculous now.

This is getting ridiculous now to be honest.Instead of talking about football we are constantly talking about match reports and letters to papers and the league,it is starting to take the gloss off what could be a very good season and all because one or two people just can't help themselves.A match report is written to give people a report on the match,that's why it's called a MATCH REPORT not MATCH MOAN UP

To be honest,any more bollox like this and I will stop doing the travel,50/50,organising darts nights and involvement in the Supporters Association because it's starting to get on my tits and belittling all the good work the owners and various other people put into the club,I have far too much to do at the moment trying to start a business up without having to justify my involvement to Alice when all I have done is moan to her the last few weeks about stupid match reports because a group of passionate fans who love their club want to get behind their team and letters to the league by so called fans whose only intention is to stitch their own club up,it's just ridiculous now.

To be honest Rob, I don't suppose Hornchurch are any better or worse than most other clubs as football tends to attract more than its fair share of nutters, weirdos, and fantasists, and with smaller gates you tend to notice them more.

The last few weeks of singing and drumming have re-created a bit of the atmosphere that some years ago first drew me to the East side and made non-league fun to a newcomer.

Football is about many things but keeping the noise down isn't one of them.

Heard anyone else complaining? I haven't

Keep drumming

Edited by Ozz

I thought the postive energy and noise from the youngsters on the Eastside on Tuesday was great and should be encouraged not derided.

I also don't think that it is right to include personal comments of that kind in the club's match report and in my opinion the offending part of the match report should be deleted.

More passion/positivity instead of negativity/moaning is what's required - I want more atmosphere not less

Yeah but that was on the other side of the ground so didn't affect his highness

For what its worth, I would have thought that most non league clubs would welcome drums, brass instruments ect, even the chattering of dentures are better than no noise at all on a cold night, and if its cold enough they can sound like the rattles of old.

I can put up with swearing and drums and 15 minutes of Red Army but please NO RATTLES!

Sorry about my rant earlier,I have no intention of stopping any duties that I get involved in,nor will I stop my role within the supporters association,which I am immensely proud of.I will not be put off by constant negativity from what appears to be a minuscule proportion of fans.Sure,everyone is entitled to their opinion but to have little digs in the match report is simply not on,it's not what a match report is for.Personally I have never been a big fan of drums but the youngsters like them and because of what I feel is ridiculous whinging about them I am actually warming to them.

Spoke to another fan tonight who suggested as many musical instruments as possible at home to Sutton on Saturday so if you have a tambarine,drum,recorder flute,trumpet or anything that makes a noise bring it along and make as much sodding noise as possible.