Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

I think a lot of people put up obstacles for Guernsey, but if you asked most players, they would do whatever they need to do to play against them at their place, the reason as Bad Guy has already stated they will possibly not get the chance to play in a game like that again, so if it means taking one days holiday, I would be very surprised if people would not do it....

I know I would have done as a player.

From what I can see they have come in offered a fantastic experience for anyone that has been over there, and are a good side who look to be progressing through the leagues, so enjoy it whilst ou can, as something like this will probably never ever come along again.

How far they progress up the leagues only time will tell, but there will be a ceiling on where they get too unless they do start signing players from the UK.

Either way the weather has been a problem for everyone this year, and nobody could have foreseen ow bad it would be ( and may still get)

I wish them all the best, and if we don't get promoted to step 3 I would welcome them in our league, and would be happy to play them on any day!!

It would indeed be a great experience for the Players.How nice it would be in later years to show your Grandchildren,a DVD OF YOUR WHOLE EXPERIENCE.The weather has been terrible but many Teams have played 21/22 games.Guernseys pitch though, must now be on a par with C&H,Its their continuing involvement in the F.A. Vase that has shocked many though,long may it last.A Wembley Final even I would attend.

When Guernsey were voted into the league I'm sure the CCL committee passed at least two other grounds on the island as back ups in case of a postponement. The Track was one of them. I think, so far, only one mainland team has been on the island when their game's been postponed. Was it Raynes Park Vale? Whoever it was, there was talk that game may be played later in the evening at another ground but that was also waterlogged and they couldn't get the pitch ready so it didn't happen.

More importantly, I doubt I'll be included in the freebies when Camberley play over there so I was looking at flights and accomodation last night. How come it's cheaper to fly to Mallorca and loads of other places in Spain than Guernsey? And don't they have Travel Lodges or Premier Inns or some other cheap place I can put me head down in for a couple of nights on the island?

When Guernsey were voted into the league I'm sure the CCL committee passed at least two other grounds on the island as back ups in case of a postponement. The Track was one of them. I think, so far, only one mainland team has been on the island when their game's been postponed. Was it Raynes Park Vale? Whoever it was, there was talk that game may be played later in the evening at another ground but that was also waterlogged and they couldn't get the pitch ready so it didn't happen.

More importantly, I doubt I'll be included in the freebies when Camberley play over there so I was looking at flights and accomodation last night. How come it's cheaper to fly to Mallorca and loads of other places in Spain than Guernsey? And don't they have Travel Lodges or Premier Inns or some other cheap place I can put me head down in for a couple of nights on the island?

Locals ask that question every time they have to leave the island! Its not cheap to fly short haul around the UK and dependencies unfortunately. As for accomodation, we dont have any of the budget chains on the island but if you search on booking.com, for example, for hotels in Guernsey there are single rooms at various places for around £40/£50. I cant imagine there being anyone much cheaper to be honest. If you want opnions on options, then happy to oblige.

Edited by Gsy_Spurs

Is it possible for the sides who are playing Guernsey at home on a saturday afternoon at the moment, to change the game to a friday evening?

As far as I am aware it can be changed to a Friday if BOTH clubs agree.

The Track has been on standby for a couple of games I seem to recall, but don't forget that this and any other grounds in the island also host their own club matches which have been equally affected by the weather and of course they take priority. Not sure what other ground could be used?

Blanche Pierre Lane? Be surprised as they are usually quite protective of their pitch

Corbet Field? Wetter than Footes Lane and according to a couple of their officals that I have spoken to, have no interest in GFC.

Northfield? Possible I suppose.

Hotels, we don't have a budget trade over here, not like when the tourist industry was strong. Cheap flights to Spain killed that off. You need to find a friendly local that will put you up. :)

Edited by HKP

The Track has been on standby for a couple of games I seem to recall, but don't forget that this and any other grounds in the island also host their own club matches which have been equally affected by the weather and of course they take priority. Not sure what other ground could be used?

Blanche Pierre Lane? Be surprised as they are usually quite protective of their pitch

Corbet Field? Wetter than Footes Lane and according to a couple of their officals that I have spoken to, have no interest in GFC.

Northfield? Possible I suppose.

Hotels, we don't have a budget trade over here, not like when the tourist industry was strong. Cheap flights to Spain killed that off. You need to find a friendly local that will put you up. :)

I've dug around and found the answer. It was The Track & Corbet Field. From Bookham's website http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/bookhamfootballclub/news/guernsey-fc-report-328739.html

"On the morning of our departure, we were taken on a tour of the seven grounds whose clubs contest the Island League through the season. These were of varying standard but at least two, Vale Rec and Belgrave would not look out of place in our Premier Division and it will be recommended to the Management Committee that prior approval be given to allow matches to be switched to these venues, should Footes Lane be unavailable for any reason."

Corbet field is usually the wettest of all the pitches so I don't see that happening. BPL, rovers and sylvans have no stand. Rangers ground isn't worth mentioning.

Don't see why north couldn't host a match but the track will definitely be the best option as they take very good care of it down there. Plus it has a big stand.

North pitch is quiet small, perhaps that is the reason? Apart from that I would say it has good facilities. They have a small covered stand, which you can see a little of here

A little more
'light-reading'
on the subject

Dorking's
'Gaffer'
had a small say on the matter in todays
'Sadvertiser'
, 'but it hasn't been put up on-line.
Edited by Big J R

Sorry Trevor.

Appears Surrey Doobri were altering their page set up.

Try this:

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/South-Park-waiting-confirm-date-Guernsey-clash/story-17748227-detail/story.html

Story reaches the Guernsey Press,this forum gets a mention.Can anyone from Guernsey post the Full Script.Think it is about time that other Clubs put their heads above the parapet,as Millers did.If you are totally happy with the way it was Handled by Alan Constable and Guernsey FC say so.Cove get a mention as not being Happy and rightly so in my opinion.Maybe Lazurus could inform us all,of the Travel arrangements made for the Sunday visitors to Guernsey.

You cannot compare playing away in the vase to playing at Guernsey. Just stupid now and looking for excuses.

Why not, it's still a long journey if you have to play up north in the Vase. in fact, travelling from a CCL Prem team to Gsy might well be quicker time-wise

Spot on Door

Guernsey will be out of the football pyramid within 2 years not including this season, they will quit mark my words

Stick to your own league and them games between Jersey who I'm told is the main island down there. Jersey must be laughing at Guernsey

yes they must find it hilarious seeing fellow channel islanders being able to play at a higher level every week including national competitions and playing in front of 1,000 regularly

I believe GFC will last beyond your two-season prediction, I will be interested to read your reaction should that happen. if you are right, well we would have had a great ride, but i have faith it will work out. People are talking like fixture postponements have suddenly become a new thing since GFC arrived

Why not, it's still a long journey if you have to play up north in the Vase. in fact, travelling from a CCL Prem team to Gsy might well be quicker time-wise

Travelling to Guernsey might be quicker than travelling to Croydon for some of us. We don't moan about them being in the league or players having to take time off work to play there midweek. And likewise when Croydon play in this area.

And then there's always the joy of travelling to Dulwich Hamlet occasionally in the Surrey Cup or something. Get that wrong and it can take hours to get there.