Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

Why do people think this is Saturday football?

Pro players play Monday to Sunday and non league teams play Monday to Sunday if I'm not mistaken this is non league football stop moaning and get on with it, Guermsey will not be in this situation again

Agreed.

I remember when I played footie for Uni and we used to play in the Kent League. We used to come back from the Easter vacation and have to catch up on our fixtures. I remember 1 year we must have played something like 8 games in 13 days over April / May, driving all over East Kent in the process.

No it's not a Saturday league . Yes everyone will get on with it . Yes it may affect Guernseys title bid . But have the original rules changed ? That's all I want to know . Not moaning , not stupid , well aware of the reqirements of the pro game. just curious. Example , if all midweek games per season are scheduled for 7 30 or 7 45 and this is agreed by the league presumably the league and your opponents would have to agree to say a 6 00 kick off ? If and I repeat if the original agreement was for Guernsey to play at home only on Saturdays wouldn't travelling clubs need to agree to an alternative day ? Sorry if a polite question is seen as moaning !

interesting range of views. For what it's worth I am sure everyone in the game recognises the work of fixture secretaries , that Guernsey have had more than their fair share of poor weather , and to cover another point that we should get on with it because we voted them in. But were they not voted in on the basis that they played home games on a Saturday ? Yes they have a major backlog but why does that mean that the goalposts can be moved like this. Surely Guernsey should have their existing away Saturday fixtures cancelled in order to free those dates up so the initial rules could remain and teams still played away to Guernsey on a Saturday. Without question Fridays and Sundays will affect teams in ways that originally wouldn't have been the case. I cant see a major problem in rearranging any mainland fixtures for usual midweek nights and if Guernsey are affected by playing the majority of there remaining away fixtures in midweek , wouldnt that be reasonable given that it is there pitch which is the main cause of the problem. After all didnt Molesey start the season with away games because of there own pitch issues ?There is probably sound logic for not doing this but I can't think of anything at the moment . For all regular posters please give me your views.

The sound logic you seek is that Guernsey Saturday "away" fixtures are/were scheduled on dates when they don't have a home pitch available - it's being used by the Rugby team they share with. Talking of Molesey, if this weeks game is postponed, are you going to propose that Guernsey shouldn't have to play the rearranged game midweek due to difficulties travelling / fielding a midweek team? Probably not. There's every chance that several Guernsey away fixtures in January will be postponed but I sincerely doubt you'll have any of their players / supporters / managers coming on here whinging that they now have to play those games on days other than Saturdays.

Apologies melts if it appeared I was making a case for the CCL being anything other than a Saturday league. What I was arguing is we all expect to play on days other than Saturday , that goes with this level but not on a Sunday in Guernsey or a Friday night in Guernsey as my understanding was that the league had stated that all of there home games should be played on a Saturday. I just wanted to know if they were the rules and if they were why they are being changed without the apparent agreement of the visiting teams.

Right quick look at the league rules online (http://www.combinedcountiesleague.co.uk/leaguerules.htm) say:

8.13 The standard kick-off times shall be as follows:

Saturday matches – 3.00 pm

Midweek matches – 7.45 pm unless a Club notifies the Competition Secretary in writing before the commencement of each Playing Season to state that it wishes all its home midweek matches to kick off at 7.30 pm.

All agreed changes to time of kick-off to be notified to the Board immediately for confirmation.

Official bank holidays and Sundays – 11.30am unless agreed otherwise by the two Clubs and the Board; application shall be made to the Competition Secretary by both Clubs at least 21 days before the relevant date.

To re-schedule a midweek fixture for an evening other than a Club’s usual midweek night will require written agreement of both Clubs and the Competition Secretary.

But more to the point I guess is:

8.17 The Board may change any Competition fixtures during the season to suit the overall interests of the Competition and shall have the power to decide whether a ground is suitable for Competition matches and to order a Club whose ground is deemed unsuitable to play its home matches at alternative suitable ground.

Right quick look at the league rules online (http://www.combinedc...leaguerules.htm) say:

8.13 The standard kick-off times shall be as follows:

Saturday matches – 3.00 pm

Midweek matches – 7.45 pm unless a Club notifies the Competition Secretary in writing before the commencement of each Playing Season to state that it wishes all its home midweek matches to kick off at 7.30 pm.

All agreed changes to time of kick-off to be notified to the Board immediately for confirmation.

Official bank holidays and Sundays – 11.30am unless agreed otherwise by the two Clubs and the Board; application shall be made to the Competition Secretary by both Clubs at least 21 days before the relevant date.

To re-schedule a midweek fixture for an evening other than a Club’s usual midweek night will require written agreement of both Clubs and the Competition Secretary.

But more to the point I guess is:

8.17 The Board may change any Competition fixtures during the season to suit the overall interests of the Competition and shall have the power to decide whether a ground is suitable for Competition matches and to order a Club whose ground is deemed unsuitable to play its home matches at alternative suitable ground.

Thanks

dorking will be playing sunday lunchtime, which is fine footballwise and for travel , if a little anti social. I expect they can have a few lucozades on the flight home.

a few sides like epsom and sandhurst playing out there at 19.45 on a Friday.

how will that work?

You have to assume the result will be a guernsey win same as if it were a saturday, but will the away sides be able to field full normal teams?

going to need a day or half day off at least, in March April when holidays may have been used up..

no doubt that guernsey will be the club most put out by this , I just hope they dont get a few easy big wins and it comes down to goal difference.

anyway seems the only alternative would be switching their home games to Horley/Crawley/redhill/south park

cant help bad weather. guernsey may not be the only side struggling to finish fixtures so lets not give them too much hassle

You have to assume the result will be a guernsey win same as if it were a saturday, but will the away sides be able to field full normal teams?

going to need a day or half day off at least, in March April when holidays may have been used up..

I know some people's holidays run April-March but more common surely is January-December.

I know it won't happen by here'a 2 ideas.

1) can't guernsey just withdraw from the FA vase and EL premier cup and concentrate on their league campaign?

2) next season I think they should look into ground sharing with a Local team so that if there games are called off, they can fly over here and play here? Could that happen?

1) can't guernsey just withdraw from the FA vase and EL premier cup and concentrate on their league campaign?

2) next season I think they should look into ground sharing with a Local team so that if there games are called off, they can fly over here and play here? Could that happen?

I could see that in drastic circumstances, but I would nt want it to be the first option.

Erm..

1. Why should they? They could play at Wembley. That's the equivalent of some teams here playing Guernsey. ;) ;) ;) but seriously why should they?

2. I think it is much more likely. Say they did it with Horley which would help them out financially. Only thing is I can't see it being either/or. Either they share with Horley and no one has to travel to Guernsey at all or not.

Erm..

1. Why should they? They could play at Wembley. That's the equivalent of some teams here playing Guernsey. ;) ;) ;) but seriously why should they?

2. I think it is much more likely. Say they did it with Horley which would help them out financially. Only thing is I can't see it being either/or. Either they share with Horley and no one has to travel to Guernsey at all or not.

What and give up £7000 in revenue from home games,equates too £147,000 in a Season.

I know some people's holidays run April-March but more common surely is January-December.

thats one more thing for managers to check then, whats your holiday cycle, son? can you take a friday off in march?

heres another way, away club registers 15 guys who live on guernsey, swaps them on 7 dayers for the next visiting club.

guernsey will eventually register players from the home counties.

thats one more thing for managers to check then, whats your holiday cycle, son? can you take a friday off in march?

with the amount of player turnaround at most clubs, it's hard to know if a player will be there next week let alone months in advance!

I cant believe there are now 26 pages of this... Whether you like it or not GFC were elected into the League after careful consideration by the FA, CCL and the CCL clubs. We are one club in the League, yet we get pages and pages of this crap. I for one really do feel for those that have put in lots of hard work and people still think they can do better. Well if you think you can, they get off your backside and do it!

Those that arrange fixtures etc. are doing their best in difficult circumstances. I would imagine the Fixtures Secretary has spent many hours doing his best for ALL concerned. I agree its far from ideal for anyone, UK based clubs or GFC. We ALL have to play the hand we are dealt. In 26 pages nobody has come up with a workable solution.

Some on here seem to want to have the right to pick and chose when they play, I doubt any League would allow that to happen. Some don't want to play on a Tuesday in Guernsey, or a Friday, or a Sunday! With Saturdays all but taken with current GFC fixtures or egg-chasing what else can be done eh?

Edited by HKP

I cant believe there are now 26 pages of this... Whether you like it or not GFC were elected into the League after careful consideration by the FA, CCL and the CCL clubs. We are one club in the League, yet we get pages and pages of this crap.

Erm, regardless of anything else, if people want to talk about it they can. If you don't like it or find it boring just ignore the thread.

I wasn't saying people shouldn't discuss it! I was trying to say we are just going round in circles, there is no simple answer. Probably why its taken a while for the re-arrangements to be announced.

I cant believe there are now 26 pages of this... Whether you like it or not GFC were elected into the League after careful consideration by the FA, CCL and the CCL clubs. We are one club in the League, yet we get pages and pages of this crap. I for one really do feel for those that have put in lots of hard work and people still think they can do better. Well if you think you can, they get off your backside and do it!

Those that arrange fixtures etc. are doing their best in difficult circumstances. I would imagine the Fixtures Secretary has spent many hours doing his best for ALL concerned. I agree its far from ideal for anyone, UK based clubs or GFC. We ALL have to play the hand we are dealt. In 26 pages nobody has come up with a workable solution.

Some on here seem to want to have the right to pick and chose when they play, I doubt any League would allow that to happen. Some don't want to play on a Tuesday in Guernsey, or a Friday, or a Sunday! With Saturdays all but taken with current GFC fixtures or egg-chasing what else can be done eh?

are the clubs who have to fulfill a Friday fixture at 19.45 in guernsey ok with it?

if so, I am.we all know its hard enough sorting fixtures at 15.00 on Saturdays in the current economic and weather climate

i agree to much time has been spent on this topic with no solution that will make everyone happy but ita a forum so people should post GENUINE concerns ,suggestions,but like millers said cove were not consulted by league or guernsey as per rules neither were we and i bet none of the affected clubs.its not whinging not having a dig at guernsey its genuine people saying what they feel.one point nobody has mentioned in this discussion but is it not a rule in CCL that the club must have control of ground?? it seems rugby has priority??