Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

Maybe we should all sign up to the Guernsey Forum,being a Guernsey Supporter maneland based,I cannot afford to travel over to Guernsey,so I have signed up to GFCTV, can watch a game for £2.99p home or away.Many others have too,like Mr. and Mrs Cornell who enjoyed the Badshot Lea game.Now I know why Away gates are down 20% this year against last,even though we are in a higher division.Home gates down 16% as well,maybe it is the recession?Camberley biggest away League gate this year 164,think they banned U.K coverage.Hartley last year 245,this year 80.

To be fair smudge I think there might have been other factors re: the Hartley game. 1) it was GFC's first competitive away game so there may well have been many more neutrals interested to get a first/an early glimpse of a brand new team. 2) that game was in August, where as this season the game was at the end of October. I was there and it was very cold so the time of year will affect people going out in the evening because of the weather.

Travelling to Guernsey might be quicker than travelling to Croydon for some of us. We don't moan about them being in the league or players having to take time off work to play there midweek. And likewise when Croydon play in this area.

And then there's always the joy of travelling to Dulwich Hamlet occasionally in the Surrey Cup or something. Get that wrong and it can take hours to get there.

Yeah but you only play in front of smudge at Croydon you play in front of 1000 at guernsey so more players would take a day off I'm guessing for Guernsey

Krooner, I'm now thinking that Duncs is right about you. What a daft thing to say. Colliers will be at Cobham which is a damn site easier to get to than Guernsey!!

To be honest I think I could get to Guernsey just as quick on a Friday night as Collier wood. And as a player I will do my best to be available.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people that are moaning are actually players, I would think not that many..

Travelling to Guernsey might be quicker than travelling to Croydon for some of us. We don't moan about them being in the league or players having to take time off work to play there midweek. And likewise when Croydon play in this area.

And then there's always the joy of travelling to Dulwich Hamlet occasionally in the Surrey Cup or something. Get that wrong and it can take hours to get there.

The only difference is the cost,you can get to Croydon for a tenner,try getting to Guernsey for that amount.You can stay in a Premier Inn in Croydon for £19,maybe you could hire a tent in Guernsey for that amount.Why bother going to Guernsey VP? sign up to GFCTV for £2.99p and save yourself a fortune,many have.Marvels me about these Guernsey posters,they rarely travel over,less so this year.Answer why GFCTV,how the CCL TURKEYS allowed this,I WILL NEVER KNOW.NO DVD'S as promised,no live link to Clubs when they play in Guernsey as promised.No one in Guernsey has commented about these promises that were made WHY.

Sean,you are correct,No Club has received a DVD of their game against Guernsey,as was promised.Easy Solution just bar the said person from your Ground,when they come over.Their is No Revenue in it for any CCL Club,and has massively hit attendances for their Away games.

We received our DVD as promised..

To be fair smudge I think there might have been other factors re: the Hartley game. 1) it was GFC's first competitive away game so there may well have been many more neutrals interested to get a first/an early glimpse of a brand new team. 2) that game was in August, where as this season the game was at the end of October. I was there and it was very cold so the time of year will affect people going out in the evening because of the weather.

That does not wash with me,325 at Westfield on a freezing cold night.Are you signed up to gfctv?

To be honest I think I could get to Guernsey just as quick on a Friday night as Collier wood. And as a player I will do my best to be available.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people that are moaning are actually players, I would think not that many..

Anthony so Supporters do not count,suggest you change your log in name.No supporters,no football.

It does matter if games are not played . Our club has paid a fair sum (which we can ill afford to lose) to a Guernsey hotel for an extra night which we lose if we do not get out to the island .

yes but that was your club's decision to take that extra night, it was not strictly a necessary thing to do, so that does not come into play really. It's no one else's fault if you book for an extra night and don't get it. If you took the one night that GFC pays for then it wouldn't cost anything

What about self employed people?

well then they don't have a boss to ask for time off do they Piercey ;). Are you also suggesting that self-employed people work 365 days a year?? I'm sure they take days off so one for a football match surely wouldn't be that much different

yes but that was your club's decision to take that extra night, it was not strictly a necessary thing to do, so that does not come into play really. It's no one else's fault if you book for an extra night and don't get it. If you took the one night that GFC pays for then it wouldn't cost anything

What a friendly reply Green Lion,just about sums you Guerns up,SELF,SELF,SELF.It was your pitch that caused the Cancellation of the game.True Colours have been shown by you.

Marvels me about these Guernsey posters,they rarely travel over,less so this year.Answer why GFCTV

Not the case for me, done more games from August 2012 to December 2012 then I did in the same period last year. GFCTV has no effect whatsoever on my travelling arrangements.

Have to thank Smudge for the constant free advertising of GFCTV.

Edited by HKP

just to put things into perspective,I love the fact that Guernsey fc are playing in our league,and Ive been lucky enough to watch them close up on a few occasions and they have a very well drilled and very talented group of players,upto now Ive had no problems having Guernsey in our league,my comments were based on the fact that,when Guernsey were voted in at the start of last season everyone was of the understanding that they would be playing Guernsey away on a saturday afternoon, teams were probably thinking no problems,travels paid for,more than enough time to check out the surroundings,play the game and still be home in time for the sunday roast, there would be no need to take any holidays from work,no need to play a game of football after sitting on a coach,then a plane,then another coach,what clubs would of taken Guernsey on if they thought they would be going over to play them on a friday night, or a sunday afternoon,if teams have to play Guernsey on a friday night in order to help them fulfill there fixtures,then surely it should be them that does the travelling

just to put things into perspective,I love the fact that Guernsey fc are playing in our league,and Ive been lucky enough to watch them close up on a few occasions and they have a very well drilled and very talented group of players,upto now Ive had no problems having Guernsey in our league,my comments were based on the fact that,when Guernsey were voted in at the start of last season everyone was of the understanding that they would be playing Guernsey away on a saturday afternoon, teams were probably thinking no problems,travels paid for,more than enough time to check out the surroundings,play the game and still be home in time for the sunday roast, there would be no need to take any holidays from work,no need to play a game of football after sitting on a coach,then a plane,then another coach,what clubs would of taken Guernsey on if they thought they would be going over to play them on a friday night, or a sunday afternoon,if teams have to play Guernsey on a friday night in order to help them fulfill there fixtures,then surely it should be them that does the travelling

I can't agree with that. Guernsey are entitled to play their fixtures at home just as any other club in the league is. The fact that efforts are being made to accomodate them around weekends to minimise the impact on the opposition is fair enough. What I cannot comprehend is the "inconvenience" that 1 fixture per year is seemingly presenting to some people - its like they are being asked to sacrifice a limb. Thanks to many of those in this thread who show the same level of commitment that I would expect to see from our own team in being prepared to sacrifice so much (!) to travel for free and play in what should be a great game. Lets not forget that those players will be taking part in 18 matches in 8 weeks, a darn sight more "inconvenient" I'm sure, but heaven forbid they just knuckle down and relish the challenge.

The only difference is the cost,you can get to Croydon for a tenner,try getting to Guernsey for that amount.You can stay in a Premier Inn in Croydon for £19,maybe you could hire a tent in Guernsey for that amount.Why bother going to Guernsey VP? sign up to GFCTV for £2.99p and save yourself a fortune,many have.Marvels me about these Guernsey posters,they rarely travel over,less so this year.Answer why GFCTV,how the CCL TURKEYS allowed this,I WILL NEVER KNOW.NO DVD'S as promised,no live link to Clubs when they play in Guernsey as promised.No one in Guernsey has commented about these promises that were made WHY.

You could come over as part of a weekend with friends and family, enjoy some fabulous seafood and local cider, bracing walks on beautiful beaches and cliffs, take in come culture and learn about the German Occupation all based around a trip over to watch your local side. Sounds like a great weekend away to me. Just like some of us work a Guernsey fixture into a trip to London or the south coast. Rather than see it as a cost, see it as an opportunity.

So have any Travel Plans been mooted in this E.Mail.

Friday of course will need an overnight stay,will the Clubs who have been given Sunday dates, been informed they will have to fly out and back the same day?

I've seen the email from the league as I'm on one of the CTFC internal email lists. It says "There will also be a “knock-on” effect with other matches having to be re-arranged accordingly. These will show on a weekly bulletin in the near future."

I presume this includes Dorking's and South Park's Saturday games before their Sunday over there.

Our original game away to Guernsey was postponed due to the Vase, Alan has given us a new date just like he does for any other postponement, we'll get on with it. I've only heard one of our club officials' view so far and he doesn't mind playing on a Sunday although we are wondering if it means we'll have to pay for an overnight stay ourselves if we want to fly out on the Saturday. That's something to be arranged between the clubs. I can understand Millers' frustration though as their game has simply being moved without being postponed. I think, with hindsight, Alan could have consulted the clubs affected in that way first but it's too late now. We all know Alan does a difficult job well so I hope he doesn't get offended by what people are saying.

I would assume that like every other arrangement, teams playing on a Sunday will be entitled to one overnight stay paid for by GFC, so if they want to avoid playing the same day as an early morning travel, they would be able to come over on the Saturday and get a good night's rest

So because he does the job it is right and if you disagree you should stand for the job what a load of bollocks, this situation only helps one team out I'm sure traveling to and from the airport and playing football on a Sunday for your Saturday club is not ideal.

Since when has this league ever been known as a Saturday League. That term (as well as Sunday league) tends to be saved for a much more amateur level, such as pubs leagues etc. This is an official FA league and while it is preferable for games to be played on a Saturday - it is by no means set in stone and fixtures have to be played out when they can

im all for your venture always said it but i think the breath of fresh air factor is wearing thin mate it does seem the league are bending over backwards to help guernsey out when its your pitch that is the problem its a fact that teams travelling fri or sun will not be at full strength and are at a disadvantage against a quality side who wants to be a lamb to the slaughter mate ;)

guernsey have upset me at the minute ive been trying to get a copy on dvd of our games against them as not everyday you get to look back at a game infront of 1000+ fans only to recieve a poor email stating that if i get permission for them to film at our ground they will then get me copies of our games im willing to pay for the copies i cant grant that permission .

Clubs not being at full strength is up to them and their players, not the fault of GFC or the FA. If teams want to take a full strength side, they will by asking players to show commitment to the club. If not, well with the level this league is, then its a shame. It's semi-pro level and therefore if you want to be at this level is takes a certain commitment (as GFC players have shown by constantly travelling away midweek) maybe if people just want to play on Saturdays then maybe they should sign for a social league side

On the subject of Gsy's "midweek" team being weaker - I think this is a myth - before injuries, our three best players (Allen, Black & Mackay) have pretty much always played the midweek matches. Our captain has missed a couple, but mainly due to injury. it is only our first choice keeper that is really the difference, and our number 2 (de Garis) isn't exactly a bad replacement. Most other first team players (eg, Dodd, Rihoy, Loaring, Dyer, Le Prevost, Geall) have all travelled midweek most of the time unless injured

Since when has this league ever been known as a Saturday League. That term (as well as Sunday league) tends to be saved for a much more amateur level, such as pubs leagues etc. This is an official FA league and while it is preferable for games to be played on a Saturday - it is by no means set in stone and fixtures have to be played out when they can

[/quote

So why is your club the ONLY club to have Sunday fixtures, again everything working to your advantage