Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

So why is your club the ONLY club to have Sunday fixtures, again everything working to your advantage

One of the reasons is that UK based clubs do not want to travel mid-week. The schedule is hardly to GFC's advantage is it?

That does not wash with me,325 at Westfield on a freezing cold night.Are you signed up to gfctv?

Yes Smudge I am. I am a mainland based supporter (South London) who recently moved away from Guernsey. Even with having GFCTV I have been to every single away game that I have been able to get to (which is more expensive than paying £2.99 to watch online - factoring in train ticket/petrol, match ticket, programme, food and drink). In fact it would be even cheaper than £2.99 a game for me to stay home because I have a full subscribtion which is £2.99 for the whole month, which will include several games. I use GFCTV to look over highlights again, and watch GFC's home matches if I am not working on a Saturday. If you come to watch GFC play in the mainland you will likely find me with the noisy Ormering lot - come and say hello! I shall continue to be at as many GFC away games as possible for as long as they exist.

So for me, GFCTV has not affected my attendance at away games. It's up to other people if they'd rather pay £2.99 and sit at home watching it. I go to the games whenever I can because I love watching live football in the flesh and I feel like I can give my team better support by actually being there and making a noise (no doubt the noise we made when 3-0 down to Erith Town helped lift our players). It works the same for any team I have a fondness for at professional level - even if they are televised live, I would try to get to the game if I could.

If peole would rather stay in and watch then get to the ground to experience the live game (which I always see as a full day out) and support their team in the flesh then that is their perogative.

As for your comment about Westfield, it still might have made a difference because at the time Westfield were doing well in CCLD1 and as I recall a lot of people here were predicting it was where Guernsey could well come unstuck for the first time, so there was a higher interest in the game than say, a weeknight fixture against a team in the bottom half - therefore more people made an exception.

Things aren't as black and white as you claim them to be. I am not denying that GFC TV has had an effect on attendances (maybe it has) but at the end of the day it is down to the choice of the individual whether or not to stay home or go to the match, For me, I go to the match even though I do use GFCTV.

Edited by Green Lion

Anthony so Supporters do not count,suggest you change your log in name.No supporters,no football.

Hi smudge , no need to change my login as I'm as much a supporter as a player at my club. Yes and supporters matter. Our supporters that watch our games on a regular basis are trying to sort out there flights and accommodation at the moment , as they have 4 months notice they should be fine , no negative comments from them they are looking forward to it. Yes there are some clubs that have fair points raised but it is only 1 game so just get on with it. I'm sure with the freeze still to come there will be more changes.

What a friendly reply Green Lion,just about sums you Guerns up,SELF,SELF,SELF.It was your pitch that caused the Cancellation of the game.True Colours have been shown by you.

Not at all Smudge, how is that about self self self? you are finding meanings in my posts that aren't there just for the sake of arguement. I'm saying that GFC pay for one night for every team that comes over - so if a team wants to pay for an extra night when they don't need to, that is up to them. If a club comes for the one night, and the game is called off, it costs nothing to the away side. If the away side wants to take the risk of booking for an unnecessary night, how is that Guernsey's fault?

Are you suggesting Gsy should fulfil a fixture on a waterlogged, virtually unplayable pitch, just because the opposition have paid to come over for another night when they didn't have to, just so they don't have to get up at the crack of dawn for a flight (which GFC players do regularly) or just because they fancy an extra night for a knees-up in Town?

How was my reply unfriendly? I did not insult anybody. I merely put across my view which inthis case was in defence of my team. If I disagreed with anything my club did I would say so, so there is no case of green-tinted specs. You will find that I am a most polite person up for a good hearty discussion/debate should you care to venture over to the noisy lot at a GFC away day.

Edited by Green Lion

Am sure if any other clubs wanted to play on a Subday they would be allowed, similar to the Friday night experiment some have tried and hopefully succeeded at.

Kenny,the only time a game has been played on a Sunday,in the short time I have been watching CCL.Was for F.A.Vase /F.A Cup games.I once mooted the idea of games being played on a Sunday,the idea went down like a ton of bricks.The replies were along the lines of GET A LIFE,Players have Families,When will I be able to go to a Church Service,wash the car,cut the grass,and get a days rest after a hard weeks work.That of course was without having to fly to Guernsey,maybe our resident Gurus G.F.VPCTFC,can inform us of the last time a Sunday CCL League fixture was played on the Sabbath.With both Teams being in agreement,agreement being of the key word.Not done without consent of both parties beforehand,as this shambles has been done.

I've been following this topic - the most posted and most read in the forum - but I still can't get a grip on the reason for objections to the revised fixture list or a proposal to better deal with it. Of course, the revised list is unattractive - the weather has seen to it that many games, including many GFC home games, have been postponed. I can't find where any of the objectors have offerred an alternative more acceptable to the majority. If someone has, please direct me to the post.

What happens if the weather is even more inclement in 2013? Throw in the towel, disband the league?

One of the reasons is that UK based clubs do not want to travel mid-week. The schedule is hardly to GFC's advantage is it?

Exactly HKP. No melts, It's more of a disadvantage to GFC's title bid that they have to play more games closer together without as much rest. Playing midweek fixtures in Gsy would be more of an advantage but the case is completely the opposite because GFC have had to cater for clubs' wishes to not have to travel there midweek, so you suggesting its giving us the advantage is not the case at all. you would moan if the clubs had to travel midweek rather than Sundays so it being rather contradictory.

As someone suggested when posting the fixture laws earlier, Saturday is the prority for games but nowhere does it state that it is a saturday league where games should be played exclusively on a Saturday. discussions can be made for Sunday if circumstances dictate that Saturdays are not viable forever reason. If your club had a valid excuse to play on a Sunday instead of a Saturday perhaps it would be possible - just that so far it hasn't been necessary.

Apologies for multiple posts by the way, because of the number of pages to trawl through and seeing many responses to reply to I've had to reply as I go along.

Yes Smudge I am. I am a mainland based supporter (South London) who recently moved away from Guernsey. Even with having GFCTV I have been to every single away game that I have been able to get to (which is more expensive than paying £2.99 to watch online - factoring in train ticket/petrol, match ticket, programme, food and drink). In fact it would be even cheaper than £2.99 a game for me to stay home because I have a full subscribtion which is £2.99 for the whole month, which will include several games. I use GFCTV to look over highlights again, and watch GFC's home matches if I am not working on a Saturday. If you come to watch GFC play in the mainland you will likely find me with the noisy Ormering lot - come and say hello! I shall continue to be at as many GFC away games as possible for as long as they exist.

So for me, GFCTV has not affected my attendance at away games. It's up to other people if they'd rather pay £2.99 and sit at home watching it. I go to the games whenever I can because I love watching live football in the flesh and I feel like I can give my team better support by actually being there and making a noise (no doubt the noise we made when 3-0 down to Erith Town helped lift our players). It works the same for any team I have a fondness for at professional level - even if they are televised live, I would try to get to the game if I could.

If peole would rather stay in and watch then get to the ground to experience the live game (which I always see as a full day out) and support their team in the flesh then that is their perogative.

As for your comment about Westfield, it still might have made a difference because at the time Westfield were doing well in CCLD1 and as I recall a lot of people here were predicting it was where Guernsey could well come unstuck for the first time, so there was a higher interest in the game than say, a weeknight fixture against a team in the bottom half - therefore more people made an exception.

Things aren't as black and white as you claim them to be. I am not denying that GFC TV has had an effect on attendances (maybe it has) but at the end of the day it is down to the choice of the individual whether or not to stay home or go to the match, For me, I go to the match even though I do use GFCTV.

The reason there was a big crowd at Westfield was that it was their First Home Game of the season,at their newly revamped Ground.Westfield were hardly pulling up trees on the pitch.

The chances are that many teams in the league will have a busy end of season due to the weather, something that happens annually for nonleague and grassroots football most years.. As I see it GFC where invited into the league and therfore should be regarded as an equal member as all other teams. So if we all except that the teams we support, play for or are involved in are likley to have to play outside the traditional Tuesday/Saturday on a number of occassions against OTHER combined counties teams, both home & away come the end of the season then we should have no complaints of doing so against Guernsey...

I once mooted the idea of games being played on a Sunday,the idea went down like a ton of bricks.The replies were along the lines of GET A LIFE,Players have Families,When will I be able to go to a Church Service,wash the car,cut the grass,and get a days rest after a hard weeks work.

The bleeding obvious answer being... on the Saturday...

The reason there was a big crowd at Westfield was that it was their First Home Game of the season,at their newly revamped Ground.Westfield were hardly pulling up trees on the pitch.

Well there you go, shows that there were more people for a special reason last year, so you've sort of contradicted your own argument again.

Having said that though, I still seem to remember there being a lot of talk that it could be a place where Gsy came unstuck for the first time and I think Westfield were in a fairly high position. I will check on Full Time when I'm next on the laptop.

Most players like to claim there playing Semi-pro football...so the argument of playing on Saturdays is rubbish. The pro's play on any day of the week, so if you claim to be that, play whenever and get on with it.

I don't think it's the players that are moaning tho? I

Thats not strictly true

We were top of the league at the time and it was our 3rd home game

what im finding hard to believe with this never ending post is a lot of you have not realised why so many people from affected clubs are not happy, its not because of what day you go there and play its the fact that the fixtures were posted on gfc site before any clubs were notified officially!!! no clubs were asked would you prefer the friday or sunday slot??? it seems gfc decided it all then posted it then ,told league then league told affected clubs and that is why so many negative posts have been posted

what im finding hard to believe with this never ending post is a lot of you have not realised why so many people from affected clubs are not happy, its not because of what day you go there and play its the fact that the fixtures were posted on gfc site before any clubs were notified officially!!! no clubs were asked would you prefer the friday or sunday slot??? it seems gfc decided it all then posted it then ,told league then league told affected clubs and that is why so many negative posts have been posted

This thread was 20 pages or so before the fixtures were announced, so I don't think that caused the negativity at all. Any communications failings on behalf of the CCL won't have helped though. And I really don't think GFC would have chosen who to play when, rather have offered which Fridays and Sundays were free given that apparently it was impossible for clubs to come over midweek.

Great post Pauls this is what a lot of clubs have been saying/asking both clubs have to agree on any rearranged fixtures not just the home side.

it has been reported in today's Guernsey Press that GFC offered to host their away match at CWU in Guernsey on Wednesday 23rd January. The idea was that any profit from the match would have gone to CWU. Unfortunately CWU could not get a team to come to Guernsey so the idea has fallen through. It could have been a winner all round, GFC home fans would have seen some action before February and CWU would have probably netted around £2,000.

Edited by HKP

Great post Pauls this is what a lot of clubs have been saying/asking both clubs have to agree on any rearranged fixtures not just the home side.

But would this be the case with other rearrangements? I think what happened is the the Fixtures Secretary knew some tough decisions needed to be made and made them. If they had gone out to the clubs and asked who wants to play Sunday and who wants to play Friday then what all that would have happened is the process would have taken even longer and then clubs complained that club A got their wish whereas they did not.

I would hazard a guess that GFC were asked what dates the pitch was available and the Fixtures Secretary then decided who played when.

Edited by HKP