Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

,suggestions,but like millers said cove were not consulted by league

They don't have to consult the clubs but I think they should have as they would know this would put a few noses out of joint.

one point nobody has mentioned in this discussion but is it not a rule in CCL that the club must have control of ground??

The same way Epsom & Ewell, Epsom Athletic, Badshot Lea, MVCSR etc all have control? Or if you mean it's a different sport, what about Worcester Park where cricket takes precendence for some months of the year?

does anyone know the travelling arrangments for the clubs expected to play on the friday and for those playing on the sunday??

I would expect Fridays to be no different from when GFC have to travel to the mainland for midweek fixtures i.e. lunchtime flight over, evening game. overnight stay, early flight home following morning (unless the Club want to stay at their expense for another night). Sundays is less clear - I would hope there is an option to fly out Saturday, overnight stay, game Sunday lunchtime then back Sunday evening - but whether GFC would pay for the overnight stay is questionable, I would hope so because flying out Sunday early morning / playing / flying straight back makes an awful long, tiring day, especially after the customary Footes Lane drubbing :(

Erm..

1. Why should they? They could play at Wembley. That's the equivalent of some teams here playing Guernsey. ;) ;) ;) but seriously why should they?

2. I think it is much more likely. Say they did it with Horley which would help them out financially. Only thing is I can't see it being either/or. Either they share with Horley and no one has to travel to Guernsey at all or not.

1) so they can finish there league campaign and stop everyone crying on here? Im not saying they should! It was just an idea, depends what's more important to them really.

2) I meant play there home games at footes lane but just have a back-up plan incase guernsey is unplayable. I'm sure for a bit of extra ££ a couple clubs would be willing to groundshare in Nov/Dec/Jan so if gfc's home game couldn't go ahead there but could here.

Dessie, I would assume the delay (which is harder likely to favour GFC) is to give teams as much warning as possble. Would you be happier if teams were given a week or so notice to have to travel on a Friday or Sunday?

HKP All Im saying is you can give these teams as much notice as you like the fact is these lads dont usually play on a friday night or a sunday afternoon,so teams will be missing players FACT,these lads are also not used to getting on a bus,then jumping on a plane,and then another bus,then playing 90 minutes of football against what Ive seen to be a quality side,so surely you must understand why people arent happy with the situation

HKP All Im saying is you can give these teams as much notice as you like the fact is these lads dont usually play on a friday night or a sunday afternoon,so teams will be missing players FACT,these lads are also not used to getting on a bus,then jumping on a plane,and then another bus,then playing 90 minutes of football against what Ive seen to be a quality side,so surely you must understand why people arent happy with the situation

Don't players miss Saturday matches?

Do clubs get consulted over every re-arrangement? Apparently not.

So as its a Guernsey match you want the rules changed, I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot you would all be up in arms...

Edited by HKP

I have already said that I do feel for people, but this is the situaiton we are in and we all just need to do out best and get on with it. If anyone did not expect that when we have the ampunt of rain that games would possible be played on days other than a Saturday then they were a little naive.

This is a semi-pro League, if players just want to play just on a Saturday then perhaps they would be better in a different League? They already play the occasional game on a Sunday, Vase matches I am thinking of, playing on a Bank Holiday Monday, Boxing Day...

Edited by HKP

I have already said that I do feel for people, but this is the situaiton we are in and we all just need to do out best and get on with it. If anyone did not expect that when we have the ampunt of rain that games would possible be played on days other than a Saturday then they were a little naive.

This is a semi-pro League, if players just want to play just on a Saturday then perhaps they would be better in a different League? They already play the occasional game on a Sunday, Vase matches I am thinking of, playing on a Bank Holiday Monday, Boxing Day...

Perhaps you should be in a different league!! Clubs are rightly feeling upset at these arrangements to accommodate your club. The facts are that the league have bent over backwards to accommodate you and seemingly putting you before other clubs. Last year there was an issue with you having back to back home games when there was only 18 teams in the league and everyone was told this would not be repeated. Well someone got that wrong. It would be interesting to see how many clubs would now vote you in the league. Maybe you could suggest it at the next AGM and let the clubs choose again now knowing what is involved.

Well hopefully one day soon we will be! :)

No, all I want is a level playing field for all clubs. I have posted before that we are just one club amongst many. As Krooner has posted, nobody complaining about the very unfortunate CWU playing on a Friday.

Back to back home games has already been covered and the reasons explained by the League. GFC are to play there next four League games away from home, so it does even out.

I won't be at the AGM as its nothing to do with me.

The league and indeed GFC are in a very difficuly position due to the fact so many games have been lost. I don't know if there is a problem with the pitch and the drainage, but the owners of the Ground have done the right thing and paid for some expert advice.

Edited by HKP

No-one seems to have complained that Colliers Wood may be playing a number of games on a Friday. Quite rightly everyone will get on with it.

Krooner, I'm now thinking that Duncs is right about you. What a daft thing to say. Colliers will be at Cobham which is a damn site easier to get to than Guernsey!!

Funny how nobody from Guernsey is on here complaining about all these away fixtures this month and then having to give up Friday nights and Sunday afternoons to football? Just bloody get on with it.

Oh, if teams don't want to travel then fine, give us the three points and we'll find opposition that do want a game of football.

this is new changes to what weve all been doing for years so not many are going to like to guernsey they know no different so easier to swallow

It is just one game though Newby, sadiy there is no other option! I am sure you would not want to play on a Tuesday evening for instance. At least on a Friday or Sunday it greatly reduces the amount of time players need to take off. As posted previously, its no different to a Vase match up North. The main pressure will be on the GFC players and officials.

Edited by HKP

Well hopefully one day soon we will be! :)

No, all I want is a level playing field for all clubs. I have posted before that we are just one club amongst many. As Krooner has posted, nobody complaining about the very unfortunate CWU playing on a Friday.

Back to back home games has already been covered and the reasons explained by the League. I won't be at the AGM as its nothing to do with me.

Most i guess will hope you move on. As for a level playing field, you have had more support from this league and the clubs in it than any other. Who really wants to get up at 5 am and arrive in Guernsey around 9.30 for a game that generally kicks off at 3pm? When there is a later flight that would get them there in time for the game. who wants to fly to you mid week or on a sunday? No xmas fixtures for your club. Colliers is different all together as they are main land based. And getting to Cobham is easier than getting to you. As you wont be at the AGM perhaps you should ask your club rep to put a motion forward. Your club take a lot of support from this league and the clubs in it but what do you give in return? other than two fixtures and a lot of travelling!!

I am not complaining about the support we have had from the League and the clubs. In fact the welcome we get has been nothing but warm and friendly. The point I was making is that some posters seem to want it all. Don't want to play on a Tuesday, Sunday, Friday etc. Sadly there appears to be no other option.

Who says the game will be at 3pm? Its already been posted elsewhere that GFC are trying to do everything they can to make the passage as easy as possible for visiting clubs. I would say a 1.30 k/o is more likely. But I am sure GFC will do whatever they can to make the arrangements as best as anyone can for our visitors.

Christmas fixture, well we were meant to play on Boxing Day but the visiting club did not seem to want to travel. So you can't blame is for that!

Why don't you put a motion forward at the AGM?

I think we have done a lot of this League, I for one will always be grateful for the start they kindly gave us.

Edited by HKP

im all for your venture always said it but i think the breath of fresh air factor is wearing thin mate it does seem the league are bending over backwards to help guernsey out when its your pitch that is the problem its a fact that teams travelling fri or sun will not be at full strength and are at a disadvantage against a quality side who wants to be a lamb to the slaughter mate ;)

guernsey have upset me at the minute ive been trying to get a copy on dvd of our games against them as not everyday you get to look back at a game infront of 1000+ fans only to recieve a poor email stating that if i get permission for them to film at our ground they will then get me copies of our games im willing to pay for the copies i cant grant that permission .

HKP you really are blinkered in all this mate, it's wearing very thin with the majority who read this site! Why you cant simply see that the goal posts have been moved to GFC's advantage is beyond me - a number of clubs are quite rightly upset about how these rearrangements have been devised.....the schedule has quite clearly been drawn up by GFC and not the league and with no consultation with the clubs affected.

Blinkered? Well I guess the same could be levelled at some other posters on here. As I have been told, if you don't like what you read then ignore the topic. :)

Do clubs normally get consulted? I do not know who drew them up, how they were delivered is a matter for the League. The situation is far from ideal, its going to be hard on all concerned. Sadly there is little or no alternative to playing on Friday and Sunday, well apart from playing on a Tuesday night in Guernsey... Its going to be hard on GFC players too playing two games in less than 48 hours. It could well cost us promotion.

Edited by HKP

At the risk of starting another Chubby v Adam war....

Don't forget, Chubby, that Southampton FC (that team what you support) legend Matthew Le Tissier is President of Guernsey FC and his brother Mark is the Club Secretary.

If the Guernsey project failed, they would look pretty foolish (yes, Chubby, like I do most days...I know...). Can you imagine what the folk of Guernsey would say and think, were the project to be abandoned? Don't forget the knock-on with the local economy and also football coaching for young people who dream of being the next Ross Allen or Matthew Le Tissier.

There is a lot riding on Guernsey FC being successful. Okay, the weather hasn't helped things, but Guernsey FC are not the only team to have been hit by the bad weather and there are many clubs at Step 5 and 6 with a fixture backlog.

Some people may not like nor want Guernsey FC in the Combined Counties, but they are there under democratic vote. If people don't want them there, then maybe they need to contact the Combined Counties Head Office and explain why.