Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Oh Dear, Oh Dear.........

OldTowner

I agree McGleish has added some good strength to our forward line, but i would play Hope and McGleish together as they are clearly our best 2 strikers. Why did Matata play last night for example?

I also agree with the Campbell point. Most wingers at this level blow hot or cold but I would still have played him last night instead of Wallace who certainly is out of form and confidence.

So basically we need to defend better with a more attacking style while using more forwards than defenders and a defensive midfielder who plays in a forward position.

This management lark is looking so much easier now. :rolleyes:

Indeed it is! Ok well how about we outline our own suggestions for the starting X1?

Mine Would be: Imber, Lockie, Siva, Kendall/White, Kirby, Pennant/Hahn, O'Brien, Campbell, Hunt, McGleish, Hope

Subs - Wallace, Bardle, Kendall/White, Pennant/Hahn, Johnstone

Edited by CD Towner

Most football followers / supporters are frustrated Managers and we all have a view on how our team could do this or that and be more successful etc.

For what it is worth, my view regarding making difficult / tough decisions does not include sacking Steve Newing as some where calling for at Carshalton.

The tough decisions need to start at the Club Board and if the second half of the season needs an increase in the playing budget to bring in the four or five players we need then "somehow" funds need to be found. At the end of the day it is a Supporters run Club and Supporters need to come up with the tools ( money in this case ).

Team Management tough decisions may well be to change the squad. In my view some Players are not fit and are not up to Premier level and after 21 game we must all have a view on this.

Other Clubs seem to be in the player market and several seem to be exchanging 3 ( out ) for 2 ( in ). Perhaps they can get better quality for the same joint value / budget ?

Others have noted that a 4-3-3 system does not seem to work. My view is that it is failing due to the 4-4-2 we are playing against. Our midfield is being out done and are giving the ball away repeatedly, putting unwanted pressure on the back line.

We cannot go on letting in 3 goals a game and ( again my view ) desperatly need a deep midfield player to protect the back line.

As I have stated previously, it's all about opinions.

Lets hope Saturday starts the recovery and followed with a win at Cray. We then have a "crunch" away game with Thurrock and 5 home games.

Last thought - can we start with Mcgleish and Hope as a top two on Saturday AND play the ball to feet ?

( goals came last night with passing on the grass rather than lumping it up 8 ft high to a 5ft 6in front man ).

Edited by OldTowner

I don't go with Hope and Mcgleish up front.

McGleish can operate as a lone striker and Hope does not offer anything as a joint striker. McGliesh has scored 3 goals in 3 games. The only time that Hope started with McGleish neither scored and neither has scored when they have both been on the park together.

McGleish has also demonstrated to me that he can head the ball as well as playing the back line to feet. Nothing wrong with our approach play or our attack!

I don't go with Hope and Mcgleish up front.

McGleish can operate as a lone striker and Hope does not offer anything as a joint striker. McGliesh has scored 3 goals in 3 games. The only time that Hope started with McGleish neither scored and neither has scored when they have both been on the park together.

McGleish has also demonstrated to me that he can head the ball as well as playing the back line to feet. Nothing wrong with our approach play or our attack!

Err - 2nd goal Mcgleish goal v Carshalton I believe BOTH were playing at the time.

However, agreed Mcgleish is currently the "form player".

Nothing wrong with the tactics or management on Tuesday night. Even satisfying the pick Siva, bring back O'Brien and play White at CH gang.

We took the lead....Great......what fault was it of the coaching staff then, when the otherwise faultless Kirby givving away a stupid Penalty????

1-1 HT

What fault was it of the management for nobody throwing themselves to clear or close down the scoring opponent for the second???

What else can we say about the 3rd by the otherwise excellent White.

We dominated the second half, were the better team and in hindsight maybe bringing on Tyler and Hope sooner would have been more beneficial, maybe not.

It's errors errors errors by players, this Saturday they need to man up, embrace the managers trust in them, take responsibility and get back to basics with high tempo closing down and restricting opponents time on the ball for 90 mins, have the if in doubt ethos kick the ball not just out but to the M25 Roundabout and keep the ball better when not in doubt. We do have goals in us, will that save us???, maybe this Saturday may be not, but over the next 21 games i'd say yes.

As for supporters, you should take a leaf out of the Carshalton Fan's, great humour, banter cheering and backing their team throughout the 90 minutes even when they went down 1-0 and even though they were bottom. That's my humble opinion.

We will turn it round, we do have good enough players, it's just a bit pants at the moment.

KEEP THE FAITH.

Edited by Enfield United

I wasnt at Carshalton but Twitter stated that McGleish's 2nd followed good work from Campbell and Hope?

As for neither scoring while playing together, they have only played one game and both hit the woodwork!

Not saying it would definitely be a great partnership but as our best 2 strikers, it would indicate a useful starting point perhaps!

To be fair, Steph did say when starting together not when playing together

Fair comment.

Apoligies for jumping .

Anyway - as noted above they did start and both hit the woodwork, so worth another try in my book.

Just to finish, Jay played well on Tuesday and needs another shout on Saturday.

Steve's message shows he is up for the fight which we all knew....good honest words..... it is clearly only a minority calling for him to go. I think only one or two people to be honest.

You are right. He says he is up for a fight but this spirit needs to be conveyed to the players and they need to, as has been stated elsewhere, 'man up'.

What does worry me though is the phrase that has been used on this forum and within his letter to the fans and that is 'true supporter'. Surely supporters have the right to put their opinions forward if they feel the need and it doesn't make them less of a supporter if they do so. Not everyone is going to accept everything that goes on within the club, but that's life. Supporters are the life blood of the club and without them there wouldn't be one, especially as it's their hard earned cash that is passed over the turnstile each game.