Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ground Grading (Steps 4, 5 and 6)

Thought this might be useful as we're nearing the 31st March deadline.

To gain entry to Step 6 (ie. Combined Counties Div One):

http://www.thefa.com...ade-h-2012.ashx

Notes: minimum 2 sides for spectators, boundary required, clubhouse required, pitch perimeter required, floodlights required, turnstile/paybox required, minimum covered accommodation = 50

To remain at Step 6/gain entry to Step 5 (CCLP):

http://www.thefa.com...ade-g-2012.ashx

Notes: minimum covered accommodation = 100, of which 50 must be seated

To remain at Step 5 (CCLP):

http://www.thefa.com...ade-f-2012.ashx

Notes: minimum 3 sides for spectators, PA system required, minimum covered accommodation = 200, of which 100 must be seated

To gain entry to Step 4:

http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/NationalLeagueSystem/~/media/Files/PDF/Leagues/Ground%20grading/2012/grade-e-2012.ashx

Notes: Minimum safe capacity of 1000, Two spectator entrances with turnstiles, minimum covered accommodation = 250, of which 150 must be seated

To stay at Step 4:

http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/NationalLeagueSystem/~/media/Files/PDF/Leagues/Ground%20grading/2012/grade-d-2012.ashx

Notes: Minimum safe capacity of 1300, minimum covered accommodation = 300, of which 150 must be seated

Edited by bomaya

There are some additional regulations covering grounds that share with athletics:

39.6 Where a ground shares the facility with athletics the following exceptions and conditions may apply:-

· Spectator accommodation may be limited to a single side including hard standing.

· Protected entry to the pitch may terminate at the perimeter of the athletics track.

· Athletics activities must not take place whilst a match is in progress.

· Spectators must be prohibited from gaining access to the athletics track.

· Standing & seated accommodation must be available at a raised level to provide adequate viewing of the match.

So which teams are currently 'falling short' in the ground grading in the Combined Counties?

There are some additional regulations covering grounds that share with athletics:

39.6 Where a ground shares the facility with athletics the following exceptions and conditions may apply:-

· Spectator accommodation may be limited to a single side including hard standing.

· Protected entry to the pitch may terminate at the perimeter of the athletics track.

· Athletics activities must not take place whilst a match is in progress.

· Spectators must be prohibited from gaining access to the athletics track.

· Standing & seated accommodation must be available at a raised level to provide adequate viewing of the match.

Fingers,so now you are saying Guernsey have been breaking the Rules,since they have joined the CCL.

Which of those additional criteria have we failed Smudge ? Looks OK to me.

I'm guessing this one.

Spectators must be prohibited from gaining access to the athletics track.

That is why they have stewards and the gate from the stand to the track is closed until after the players have left the pitch.

Footes Lane was visited by FA ground officals and the club were told what they neede to do. Fence is going up nicely and the turnstiles were due to arrive last week.

I'm afraid Bomaya has rather over-simplified the rules and would urge any club to check the requirements thoroughly !

There are many more aspects involved such as certain lux values for the floodlights, dressing room sizes and facilities, distance from pitch, blahdy blah !

Ironically we were forced to spend £6k on tarmac to attain our 'C' grade [it could have been any grade realistically] when other clubs we visit have similar if not worse loose gravel/shingle areas by their clubhouses !

I'm afraid Bomaya has rather over-simplified the rules and would urge any club to check the requirements thoroughly !

Sorry, I clearly should have listed every single difference rather than simply put the links up with some obvious-for-any-to-spot notes.. I apologise if any club read my posts and thought they didn't need to do anything. Hope it doesn't lead to you failing a grading. You can blame me.

I wasn't having a pop Bom just pointing out that there's more to it than you said - don't forget some people believe everything they read on the internet is gospel. LOL.

Must also say that they do find things that aren't even in the regulations. We had to remove a hand-roller that was leant against the pitch perimeter fence [20' from the pitch] in case anyone ran into it - what if they run into the metal fence though ! We also have an internal car park for players/officials etc and had to fence it off and put signs saying Private Car Park to stop spectators picking up and throwing stones onto the pitch - will a fence and sign actually stop anyone if they're that committed to doing it ?

Must also say that they do find things that aren't even in the regulations.

Indeed. We've found that in the past even down to the positioning of locks on the covered bit from the dressing rooms to the pitch. Basically you do what the ground graders say or you don't get the grading.

• 2 weeks later...

With the 31st March looming this weekend how are clubs getting on with their various ground improvement works??

Have the Prem teams done what is necessary to stay in the league?? And how are the teams looking for promotion from Div 1 getting on.....I've heard a rumour that Frimley have a problem with getting planning permission for their stand??

Are the FA inspecting all the various grounds this weekend?

I believe inspection are taking place over the next week.

We have completed hard standing on all four sides of the ground,new stand bases on the opposite side (for an unrestricted view),cabling/bases in for the lights etc.

Installation of the lights started today. New stand is being delivered tomorrow.

We have cut it very fine,but we believe everything will be in place to pass the inspection

I've heard a rumour that Frimley have a problem with getting planning permission for their stand??

Frimley Green didn't put in the application until 27th February. The target date for the decision is April 24th. The NIMBYs who haven't got a clue about football and ground gradings have objected with comments such as 'I thought results on the pitch were what determined ones position'. I hope Frimley Green get the go ahead but sadly our council is often swayed by the minority on these decisions.

We faced similar issues. Fortunately Hart DC were very supportive

You're lucky you're not in Surrey Heath. The most backward council when it comes to sport, all sport, in the country in my opinion. A few years ago they came up with the idea of abolishing themselves and joining with other local councils to become a unitary authority. This would be the best thing that's ever happened to local government around here if you ask me. I'd vote for them to be abolished.

VPCTFC does that mean that Frimley will fail the FA inspection which Daniel says will take place next week, thus meaning they cannot be promoted?

Lisa, Im sure you'll find that Woking BC are very supportive when it comes to helping clubs in their area to make necessary ground improvements, just look heat they've done recently at Knaphill and Westfield! So dont think you can have any complaints there to be honest! I agree though, they certainly do appear to now be failing when it comes to the maintenance of pitches.

Oi!

Surrey Heath and Woking. Luxury! At least their councils actually have senior teams in their Borough.

Try dealing with the Epsom & Ewell Borough Council. They are the worst. With no real political allegiance they are run by the official NIMBY group "The Residents association", a self-serving bunch of wasters if ever there was one. Because everything they do is for "the residents" then we or anyone else in Epsom have little chance of having a ground at all as most of them haven't watched a game since the seventies and associate our new ground with some hooligan infested stadium where the police cars will be spending most of their working day carting off the hundreds of offenders.

And then there's the laughably named Sports Council. You'd think with their title they might have a football club for their community as a fairly high priority but this really is a talking shop of the highest (or lowest) order. We even have a member of our club Committee on this, which tells you how successful he and it has been. What a waste of people's lives all meeting up to talk rubbish and achieve nothing but as long as there is tea and biscuits there, then nothing else probably matters.

Over the last thirty years our club hasn't exactly covered itself in glory with its organisation, but these jokers have not helped in any way.

As for Frimley, clearly from the above it looks as though they will fail the grading, which means that the Premier Division will again relegate no one. When did we last actually relegate three teams? More to the point, why did they wait so long before putting in an application, especially knowing the troubles they might encounter?

Edited by E&E Fred