Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Promotion to Step 4 Applications

AFC Dunstable

Berkhamsted FC

Hertford Town FC

Hoddesdon Town FC

London Colney FC

Confirmed by The FA today.

Three of those teams are still in the Vase.

Has a SSML team ever won the Vase? If not what SSML team has had the best Vase run?

Many Thanks

Hoddesdon Town were the first winners of the FA Vase (they were a Spartan League side at the time) beating Epsom & Ewell

Barton Rovers were members of the South Midlands League when they reached the final in 1977/78 losing to Newcastle Blue Star

Southall were members of the Isthmian League when they reached the final in 1985/86 losing to Halesowen Town

Arlesey Town were members of the South Midlands League when they defeated Oxford City in the final in 1994/95

Berkhamsted Town were members of the Isthmian League when they reached the final in 2000/01 losing to Taunton Town at Villa Park

Hillingdon Borough were members of the Spartan South Midlands League when they reached the final in 2005/06 losing to Nantwich Town at St Andrews

All other finals played at the original Wembley Stadium

I believe Hoddesdon won it about 40 years ago.

I also believe that they and London Colney would both need a lot of work done to get the necessary grading to go up. Some of which may be impossible at Hoddy's current home.

So in the event of the big if, there might have to be a ground share.

Realistically for Hoddesdon, that'd have to be Cheshunt, Hertford or Ware. The problem there is that Cheshunt and Ware don't really have room for another team. And Hertford probably wouldn't want to.

Colney could perhaps play at St Albans.

Think I might be getting a bit ahead of myself mind.

Edited by Catdog Rovers

Hoddesdon Town were the first winners of the FA Vase (they were a Spartan League side at the time) beating Epsom & Ewell

Barton Rovers were members of the South Midlands League when they reached the final in 1977/78 losing to Newcastle Blue Star

Southall were members of the Isthmian League when they reached the final in 1985/86 losing to Halesowen Town

Arlesey Town were members of the South Midlands League when they defeated Oxford City in the final in 1994/95

Berkhamsted Town were members of the Isthmian League when they reached the final in 2000/01 losing to Taunton Town at Villa Park

Hillingdon Borough were members of the Spartan South Midlands League when they reached the final in 2005/06 losing to Nantwich Town at St Andrews

All other finals played at the original Wembley Stadium

Many Thanks :-)

I believe Hoddesdon won it about 40 years ago.

I also believe that they and London Colney would both need a lot of work done to get the necessary grading to go up. Some of which may be impossible at Hoddy's current home.

So in the event of the big if, there might have to be a ground share.

Realistically for Hoddesdon, that'd have to be Cheshunt, Hertford or Ware. The problem there is that Cheshunt and Ware don't really have room for another team. And Hertford probably wouldn't want to.

Colney could perhaps play at St Albans.

Think I might be getting a bit ahead of myself mind.

Pretty sure you have to be in situ with a  groundshare for 12 months to gain promotion.

Spot on Monkey

Sorry Jonno. No offence meant.

But surely Hoddesdon would struggle to meet the requirements at their current home for on-site car parking, outdoor toilets and a solid ground perimeter (that the match cannot be watched through).

And building a toilet block, car park and 1/4 mile of 8ft high wall is not something that can be done in a residential area over a close season.

You could apply for planning permission now and not hear anything until 2020.

I hope you can find a way though. On current form, you'll certainly be up there. And missing out on promotion due to what really are some rather trivial details would be a huge shame.

Same applies to London Colney, who I'm also certain don't currently meet the step 4 ground requirements.

I thought you had to have it all in place before March 31st and then there is an inspection in April. You cannot get promotion on a F Grading.

Hoddesdon & London Colney have a mountain to climb if they want to get promotion although both are very good sides. AFC Dunstable will cruise it as they share with Town whilst Hertford are in dream world playing wise anyway. Decent side but nowhere near top 3.

I suspect the reason Hoddesdon & London Colney have applied is they have very good players who are getting attention at higher level. So try and keep them at least until the end of the transfer window they apply to show they have the ambition to do so if not necessarily the resource or ability due to things out of their control

Hertford Town won't be promoted anytime soon. We have the setup, fanbase & adequate facilities but lack the ambition, direction, management and investment.

What's gone on Dog? You guys were flying a few weeks back..

Can the ambition, direction, management and investment be rectified.

With a fresh injection of new, passionate blood into the committee and a change of manager . . . maybe.

Of course, some cash and the financial support of our local council would help.

The stadium needs massive investment and redevelopment to move up to the next stage.

We're doing our best on next to no budget so probably punching above our weight really.

What's gone on Dog? You guys were flying a few weeks back..

We were and probably capable of rediscovering our form if we stop messing with the team, upsetting players, fans & volunteers and stick together as a unit. Too much bad publicity of late and embarrassing incidents making me rethink my enthusiam for non-league football to be honest.

Hertford Town won't be promoted anytime soon. We have the setup, fanbase & adequate facilities but lack the ambition, direction, management and investment.

Disagree on the ambition Col. I don't think there is a club in this division aiming as high as we are for the longer term.......we are just doing things in a different order so promotion was never the priority this season.

Bloody hell Col, all a bit doom and gloom from you!! Hertford have had an excellent season so far! Don't let a vase defeat and a few racist brainless supporters dampen your spirits!!! All to play for pal!

We were and probably capable of rediscovering our form if we stop messing with the team, upsetting players, fans & volunteers and stick together as a unit. Too much bad publicity of late and embarrassing incidents making me rethink my enthusiam for non-league football to be honest.

There are many that would argue that non-league football itself is an embarrassing incident.