Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Has Twitter contributed to the slow death of this forum?

I'm guilty as sin. I haven't been on here for a long time for various reasons which I won't go into. It used to be really popping on here, but these days it's all fixtures, postponements and results with little other input. 

If anybody actually reads this..... why do you think it's not as popping on here as it used to be?

Personally, I think it's Twitter that has taken away what was once a hotbed for the latest info, discussion, banter, debates, etc. Twitter is instant, the players and staff are on there too. Any other thoughts on the causes? And any other thoughts on how we could make this forum more popping again?  

To answer your question RH, IMHO, the answer is YES.

Twitter, Snap Numpty, Facebook and other such social media networks are for the young who have far too much time to waste.

I was in my local a few afternoons ago TALKING to the Landlord.  We watched as a group of five or six secondary school girls walked , ALL OF WHOM were busy on their beloved mobiles.  Sad, or what ??

Edited by Big J R

Yeah all the social media platforms and whatsapp. I joined this years ago as it was a good source of news, info and rumours. Clubs forums are pretty quiet these days too through the league as there are so many more platforms to discuss on.

Watched a bit of Biggleswade v Leighton that was live streamed yesterday, actually filmed vwell with commentary that was ok. Biggleswade were on top for 15 mins of 2nd half I watched and had two very good chances that they wasted.

Things have just simply moved on.  Twitter is by far the best platform to get all the latest info and gossip about our league and teams.

If I just take the club I follow, there are regular daily updates from the main club twitter plus lots of tweets from the chairman, one of the directors, the manager and some of the players.

There is just no other platform (including this) that can compete with that.

The only way a forum like this beats twitter is to have discussions about a certain topic (like this one!)

• 2 weeks later...

I use Twitter now and have created a SSML Premier Division list so I can see what is happening. Get great information this way. Also Full Time is best for results because it gets updated as soon has the text hits the server. League tables updated at the same time too.

Only one man can save this forum!! Bring back Rhodes!!!

Be careful what you wish for !  :ph34r:

• 1 year later...
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:02, Rebadiah Hongfield said:

I'm guilty as sin. I haven't been on here for a long time for various reasons which I won't go into. It used to be really popping on here, but these days it's all fixtures, postponements and results with little other input. 

If anybody actually reads this..... why do you think it's not as popping on here as it used to be?

Personally, I think it's Twitter that has taken away what was once a hotbed for the latest info, discussion, banter, debates, etc. Twitter is instant, the players and staff are on there too. Any other thoughts on the causes? And any other thoughts on how we could make this forum more popping again?  

As there has been nothing new posted on this forum of late ive been looking back at old topics and it seems the slow death of this forum was predicted a while ago.

RH was always a good/interesting poster especially his Oxhey Jets FC gossip.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 06:45, Jonno said:

I agree but I hate to say it.

On 20/04/2018 at 06:45, Jonno said:

Hi Jonno, I'm flattered that you think so however many of the usual suspects including yourself stopped posting such as Football Man, Loosely, NeutralFan, 3Praise and LATO, all were knowledgeable people and knew what they were talking about, well apart from Loosely. Players, coaches and officials involved in the SSML often posted too which was great and the League Committee took a keen interest.

10 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Hi Jonno, I'm flattered that you think so however many of the usual suspects including yourself stopped posting such as Football Man, Loosely, NeutralFan, 3Praise and LATO, all were knowledgeable people and knew what they were talking about, well apart from Loosely. Players, coaches and officials involved in the SSML often posted too which was great and the League Committee took a keen interest.

:thumbsup(2):

7 hours ago, Savagebee said:

RH was always a good/interesting poster especially his Oxhey Jets FC gossip.

I apologise unreservedly about what I said regarding Oxhey Jets however at the time I believed it to be true

25 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

I apologise unreservedly about what I said regarding Oxhey Jets however at the time I believed it to be true

RH is/was Rebadiah Hongfield he was the one that I said was always good for Oxhey Jets gossip.

Rhodes I cant recall you ever saying anything about Oxhey Jets so theres no need to apologise.

6 hours ago, Big J R said:

Arr  !!!

Peace and love returns.

There's still some life in this old forum yet :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Rebadiah Hongfield said:

What's going on here?! Looks like we've got the old band back together! We'll have Rendon Bodgers back on here next!

Ha Ha Ha

RH do you still watch Berkhamsted FC from your VIP box?

Also where's Lewis Putman, Tom Cat Kennedy and Terry He Can Play Anywhere Smith these days?

19 hours ago, Rebadiah Hongfield said:

What's going on here?! Looks like we've got the old band back together! We'll have Rendon Bodgers back on here next!

3EC03009-114E-4D1B-A9A1-295988F71362.jpeg.c385dd03f3e1e57e5e19cb904dd13a78.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Savagebee said:

:cheesy(2):

This forum is alive and kicking.

SB, definitely one of the finest gentlemen to grace this forum over the years. Up there right along side Tringarmy Keith. 

You still getting down to watch Hanwell? 

2 hours ago, RendonBodgers said:

SB, definitely one of the finest gentlemen to grace this forum over the years. Up there right along side Tringarmy Keith. 

You still getting down to watch Hanwell? 

No not anymore RB I resigned from the Hanwell Town FC committee last Summer 2018 and I haven't been to watch them play since there last home game of the 2017/18 season. It just wasn't for me anymore I wasn't enjoying it as much as I used to and things had changed for me at the club and also I moved a bit further away from Hanwell Town FC. Im still in contact with a lot of the Hanwell Town people and follow there results. These days I prefer watching Step 7 and below football so me and the old man just hop around our local Middlesex County League clubs, Southern Amateur League clubs and Surrey Intermediate League clubs. We just make a list of games each week for the Saturday then we make our choice of game on Friday eve or Saturday morning and of we go :thumbsup(2):

Edited by Savagebee