Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lockdown#2 and football...

Following Boris' announcement, it sounds as if only 'elite' sport will be permitted between 5th November and 2nd December. What does this mean for non-league? Are we going to be able to complete the league season? [Perhaps difficult given that we'll be in Lockdown#3 in mid-January once Boris tells us all to get together for Christmas!!!]

CC it all depends if the scientist's next predictions are based on up to date info. Not like Saturdays figures, at least 3 weeks old!!!!! That is if they still have a job after appearing before the Select Committee later today.

As for the future of non league football. What ever happens, I would again like to express my appreciation to all those who made the effort for me to feel safe whilst watching games at the QE2. 

We are now preparing for lock down again at home. Will miss the family but who knows I may possibly have a visit by Dominic Cummings on his way to Durham.

Surprised there is not more discussion on this thread.On the assumption that the league will restart some time, its a great chance to learn from what we have seen so far and 'hit the ground running' when we get back. 

Firstly, does anyone know what the League /FA will do about November fixtures? I seem to remember a proposal that missed matches will be scored as draws and therefore not played. This could be a decent outcome for Town given what looks like a tough fixture list for the month. 

Hopefully management can use the time to reflect on weaknesses and build on strengths. It will give Billy and others a well deserved break because IMO we cannot afford long term injuries for him and some other 'mature' players. Hopefully it will allow time for injuries to Thomas and Okoje and others to heal.

It also allows reflection time on how we can use the restart to maximise income, given that 'elite' football may well not see spectators this season and we therefore have a product which will be in even more demand when we get out of this lockdown. Any thoughts out there? 

I just hope that the fit players can find a way to retain their sharpness over the next 4 weeks.

It certainly gives AL plenty of time to plan. The defence has looked a little porous recently. This could be a problem when we come up against the likes of Maldon & Tiptree in the Trophy. We may have beaten them last year, and they may be in the division below, but they have made wholesale changes on the playing side this season. Watching highlights of their games, I think we'll struggle to keep them out.

Town were due to face Cray, Cheshunt, Hornchurch, Bognor, Worthing (plus Maldon & Tiptree in the Trophy) in November. A very tricky run of fixtures. Presumably the league will try to re-schedule these games?

Since the Chancellor has increased the " furlough  scheme " until March it seems to me that he knows something that we don't. Perhaps Boris, or should I say Cummings, has already decided what will be best for us. I believe this is what they call "Libertarianism".

But  more import CC, until they let us in on what they have in mind, it will be hard for any sports organisation to come up with a plan. However, if Boris keeps his word about the 2nd Dec I think the League will attempt to re-schedule all matches on the lines that you have suggest. This will prove hard though if the bad weather predictions are correct. 

That taken into account I appreciate all your appraisal of the position facing us.

In the circumstances, that well worn phrase comes in to play, WE CAN ONLY WAIT AND SEE!!!!!

11 hours ago, andyetfc said:

It’s all in the hands of people. 

Too many mixed messages.The public have lost all faith..'Eat Out To Help Out'.Hundreds of people allowed together in non-league grounds.(Including plenty of singing and dancing together behind the goals with no distancing).Then the government say you can now not even see your parents or children..And teams are now not even able to train or play in empty stadiums ..Shambles.

12 hours ago, andyetfc said:

It’s all in the hands of people. 

No it's not.

Our Supreme Leaders make the decisions and then tell the people what to do and if the people don't do what they are told to do then they will be punished ?

think they are breaking lockdown rules 

who knows how long this will last  the gov say dec 02 then I think we will go back to the tier system we were on b4 lockdown

we all have to do our bit to reduce the r rate

Archived