Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

League Campaign

Bottoms Up

That’s the FA Cup done with for another season , fair to say it was pretty unspectacular, we beat teams we are expected to beat and on paper lost to a higher ranked Chelmsford.

However the next 4 games are so so important. 3 games at home and one away to a struggling Leatherhead is an opportunity to remain securely in a Play Off position 

vKingstonian 5/10/21

vLeatherhead 9/10/21

vWingate 12/10/21

vWorthing 16/10/21

whats everyone’s points expectations from those 4 games?

i’d be expecting good wins v Wingate and Leatherhead, 

a narrow win v Kingstonian 

I’d accept a point v Worthing, that’s 10 points, am I being realistic?

1 hour ago, Bottoms Up said:

That’s the FA Cup done with for another season , fair to say it was pretty unspectacular, we beat teams we are expected to beat and on paper lost to a higher ranked Chelmsford.

However the next 4 games are so so important. 3 games at home and one away to a struggling Leatherhead is an opportunity to remain securely in a Play Off position 

vKingstonian 5/10/21

vLeatherhead 9/10/21

vWingate 12/10/21

vWorthing 16/10/21

whats everyone’s points expectations from those 4 games?

i’d be expecting good wins v Wingate and Leatherhead, 

a narrow win v Kingstonian 

I’d accept a point v Worthing, that’s 10 points, am I being realistic?

Call me a pessimist - and I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but I reckon 1 win from the 4 games, I'm afraid.

OT and CC we can only do what we have done over the past few seasons which is hope we are all wrong. But don't hold your breath!!!!

If we can keep our home record intact, for the next few weeks, then we have a chance of holding on to a playoff position. It's still along way to go. 

But please AL bring in another proper striker or play three up front, at least home. Attack is the best form of defence with the right players. 

There are several questions I would like to ask of those in the know. They arise from the fact that I can't see only one young player in AL's 1st team squad who has come from our youth set-up. Those which he has played in the past seem to have been discarded pretty quickly.

Is that our junior teams are not producing any worthwhile recruits? If is the case is anyone in place to address this, or is it that AL seems to prefer recruiting those with long CV of other clubs irrespective of whether they actually played many games for them?

I know of several EFTC Youth graduates who are playing in teams within our league, who are now in their early twenties and from what I have seen would have, if encouraged, had a chance to improve.

Perhaps some one could kindly enlighten me as to whether I am right to be concerned.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

18 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Is that our junior teams are not producing any worthwhile recruits? If is the case is anyone in place to address this, or is it that AL seems to prefer recruiting those with long CV of other clubs irrespective of whether they actually played many games for them?

I know of several EFTC Youth graduates who are playing in teams within our league, who are now in their early twenties and from what I have seen would have, if encouraged, had a chance to improve.

Perhaps some one could kindly enlighten me as to whether I am right to be concerned.

It may be that, since we disbanded our under-23s, the step from under-18 to Step 3 football is too great a leap for most

Edited by Father Jack

It does seem that way OT but is is no surprise to me. Since I said right at the beginning of his term it seems it is his way. 

However, I don't know whether we are right or wrong OT but my concern is that, if we are right, then what is the advantage to the club of the academy and junior sides. Other than an obvious commitment to the local society. However, talented youngsters do look for some sort of reward for their efforts.

Of course FJ has a valid point but I am referring to the ones at 18 who are already showing the ability and maturity  But then I am assuming that there is an academy team, up to 19, to take it's place. Which is the best of the existing candidates. If not then perhaps the answer is to think off reinstating a team to breach the age gap.

In the fifties, I like many others, started senior football at the age of 16.  Because at the time there was little or no youth football other than school football for those who stayed on for a higher education. It wasn't easy but some became top players like Peter Braybrook going on to play for England in the World Cup 1958 at 21. A year after we got out of the RAF.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Whilst 4WF Tries to dig up a negativity regarding AL’s youth creation policy we won our first of 4 very important games last night.

we now face , on paper, two winnable games v’s Bottom placed Leatherhead and lowly Wingate .

Fingers crossed we keep the momentum going.

as for young players:

Ryan Kirwan, Jerry Gyebi, Manny Maja, Percy K, Andre Coker, Matt Walsh, all qualify for U23s or 21’s, I don’t think Rian Bray is too much older either.

By God, BU, who's crawling out of hole hole?  Here you are again taking out of contexed what I have said just to have a rant at me.

I was making an enquiry of anyone to enlighten me what was happening with our youth set up. As I believe all members have vested interest in it with their funding. Do you!!!!!  and, if you do, don't you have a similar interest as to how they are progressing.

I don't recall asking the ages of members of our current squad. Or as you infer trying to denigrate their achievements so far.  Although as I said it appears not many came through our system. No doubt , knowing all, you can tell the names of those who did.

As I have said before, if you are as paranoid about my posts as you seem to be, DON'T BOTHER READING THEM. They are obviously below your contempt or above your intellect, so why upset yourself?

There are plenty of others, like me , why not have a go at them and make yourself even more popular.  QED.

well said 4wf  i was reading your post and as you said whats happerning with the youoth teams and got a reply from farther jack .

On 04/10/2021 at 16:50, 4wembleyfinals said:

Expand  

It may be that, since we disbanded our under-23s, the step from under-18 to Step 3 football is too great a leap for most

Edited Tuesday at 11:33 by Father Jack

so BU there you have it LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP

btw you forgot Adi Connolly

8 hours ago, Bottoms Up said:

as for young players:

Ryan Kirwan, Jerry Gyebi, Manny Maja, Percy K, Andre Coker, Matt Walsh, all qualify for U23s or 21’s, I don’t think Rian Bray is too much older either.

But those players were signed from other clubs. The point being made is that ETFC are not currently in a position to 'grow their own'

Thanks guys for taking the time to explain your understanding of what I was asking in my recent posts. It shows the spirit of this forum.

Bu then we are all guilty at times of only wanting something written to mean what we wanted it to mean. Usually for our own advantage. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

How many youngsters from the Pro Clubs no expenses spared Academies come through? Many may become Pros but not at the Clubs where they learnt the trade.

ETFC ‘supporters’ are renowned for wanting success today not in 3-4 years time. Our Young players want 1st Team experience now not in 3-4 years time, if you get my drift.

therefore the likes of Ben Cochrane Ward and Samson Esan have developed in a run of a mill Isthmian Prem Club Potters Bar and now doing ok.

Junior has gone to Wingate 

Josh Davison to Charltons First Team.

Our youth Section does attract young players it just doesn’t appear to have the Capacity to offer that U21/23 competitive football to keep them ticking along. At least they are on our radar having been at ETFC.

I think the current 1st team youngsters we have mixed with experience are an exciting group and Andy/Mario should be praised for that.

No doubt we’ll get further improvements during the season to sustain our decent start 

Interesting thread, reading between the lines, I think it's difficult for club of our size / resources to wholly develop players ourselves when there will be a steady flow of ex-pro club academy players who have been playing/training/being coached by top level coaches on a more regular basis coming down the pyramid. It probably makes more sense financially for us to pick the best of these when they become available than it does to 'grow our own' from junior level.

I can't think of many players that haven't started at a pro academy that have come through our youth set up who have gone on to play at a higher level than we're currently playing (but I'm happy to stand corrected). Don't know whether the EDSV Academy partnership will change the balance there, or bring through any more potential first teamers.

I'm assuming the U23 team was deemed not worth running because of demands on pitch usage, travel, the need to use first team players, availability of coaches and support staff etc. I guess in an ideal world we would have that team as a bridge between the U18s and the first team, but we only have finite resources. I do wonder whether our youth setup should be considered more as an investment in Enfield, so that the club is better embedded into the community, rather than a production line for potential first teamers - and I think this is partly what 4WF is getting at with his question.

Be interesting to hear people's views on this - and I'm certainly not saying any of the above is factual, and I may be way off the mark.

24 minutes ago, Barney said:

I do wonder whether our youth setup should be considered more as an investment in Enfield, so that the club is better embedded into the community, rather than a production line for potential first teamers - and I think this is partly what 4WF is getting at with his question.

Exactly Barney. I too don't pretend to know the answer. Like FJ  and OT you have at least thought of the reasoning behind what I am asking. It is what do we expect from our Youth teams? If it is for more involvement with the Enfield society, so be it, that is fine by me. That in it's self is an ideal worth pursuing.  It falls fair and square with at least two of the accepted reasons for obtaining a charitable status, Education and Welfare.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

On 02/10/2021 at 21:33, The Crowing Cockerel said:

Call me a pessimist - and I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong, but I reckon 1 win from the 4 games, I'm afraid.

Pessimistic 

On 03/10/2021 at 13:34, 4wembleyfinals said:

OT and CC we can only do what we have done over the past few seasons which is hope we are all wrong. But don't hold your breath!!!!

If we can keep our home record intact, for the next few weeks, then we have a chance of holding on to a playoff position. It's still along way to go. 

But please AL bring in another proper striker or play three up front, at least home. Attack is the best form of defence with the right players. 

On your way to fulfilling your first paragraph but not even I would suggest you should hold your breath, please breath

Edited by Bottoms Up