Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Herne Bay v ETFC

So here we are, 7 (possibly 9!) cup finals to determine our season. You would struggle to find a tougher run-in for any of the play-off chasers than ours. Nevertheless, I've decided its actually a good thing. Either we make it into the play-offs with confidence high following a string of good results against the top sides in the league, or we falter and our season ends with a damp squib finish seeing us in 7th/8th. As Cheshunt demonstrated last season, its crucial to go into the play-offs in form. It we make it now then we will have had to have taken points from the likes of Aveley, Stortford, Hornchurch etc.

A very tough game against Herne Bay first up. About time things clicked into place! Go on Town!!

A last roll of the dice today to save our season against a much Improved Herne Bay who have made a good fight of their predicament in recent weeks . Its looking very much like them or Kingstonian for the drop . If we lose or draw today I reckon that's it for another year. 

Good game yesterday. Superb goal from Cunns. I struggle to understand some of these refs tho. Cass was almost rugby tackled several times on the edge of their box (nothing given). Slight hand on shoulder other way (head flick from HB player and roll around on floor)…. free kick given. There is no consistency. As for HB players going down holding their heads (when very much looked like no head contact and a good attacking chance for ET) repeatedly in second half this is a worrying trend and must be stopped. Nice ground but a HB ‘fan’ let themselves and club down by throwing an object (looked like a bottle) onto pitch toward Nathan. Sad. 

Edited by Comet

30 minutes ago, Comet said:

Good game yesterday. Superb goal from Cunns. I struggle to understand some of these refs tho. Cass was almost rugby tackled several times on the edge of their box (nothing given). Slight hand on shoulder other way (head flick from HB player and roll around on floor)…. free kick given. There is no consistency. As for HB players going down holding their heads (when very much looked like no head contact and a good attacking chance for ET) repeatedly in second half this is a worrying trend and must be stopped. Nice ground but a HB ‘fan’ let themselves and club down by throwing an object (looked like a bottle) onto pitch toward Nathan. Sad. 

So, the Footballwebpages predicted table now suggests we'll finish 4th after picking up 11 points from our remaining 6 games (77 points). That means winning 3 and drawing 2 with only 1 defeat. Given who we have to play (Hornchurch, Cray, Stortford, Horsham, Aveley, Haringey) that would be a pretty good return. 

First time I've looked closely at our run in, it probably doesn't get much harder than that and 11 points might be a stretch (especially given our record against the better sides), but you really never know with this Town side. Will be interesting to see how it plays out - I'm just happy to be in a play off place at this point in the season, with our fate in our own hands, if you'd offered me that at the start of the season, I'd have accepted.

Edited by Barney

It was a much needed win at the weekend - 2 x away wins in a row against teams at the bottom BUT fighting for survival was not straight forward ...

Nice little ground .. and new 3g pitch  -funny to see the old turf stacked up behind one end!

We started well and from a long throw the ball bobbed around before Jake knocked it in..  .. they equalised with a pen (couldn't see what happened but no one seemed to say it was unfair ...) and overall the 1st half wasn't a classic.

Started similar vein 2nd half and didn't feel that confident

We did create a couple of good chances - great run by Johnville into the box and shot - perhaps he should have passed rather than shot but fairplay as he had created the opening .. Da Silva also got on the end of a good move but thrashed at the shot when again a pass could have been better .. 

.. but we weren't keeping possession enough ...

Hats off to the management with positive substitutions .. Dayton came on and allows us to keep possession well .. and then LDV/Cunns were both thrown into the mix ..

Cunns MOM for me as his attittude and desire rubbed off on the rest of the team .. he shouted at Lyle for not anticipating a flick om, then he chased a lost cause, won the ball and crossed it, only for the keeper to dive out and knock it away .. it would have been a tap in for us if he hadnt made it ..

.. and then his goal, well I really hope it is captured on video - he took a touch, turned and fired it right into the keepers top left corner - I was right in line with it and could see straight away it was in! Goal of the season for me .. and loved his celebration coming over to the fans!

Some queried why bring LDV on rather than Marcus, but I was pleased we did - he showed his experience in winning us the pen - on another day ref may have waved it away ... their no 15 and keeper were trying to psyche out Jake but he was having none of it - and handed the keeper the ball after converting!!

Their keepper was decent enough and clapped the fans at the end - their defence was poor though - agree with comments above about the ref - the 16 constantly manhandled Jake and got away with it - 2 arms around him with no ref whistle .. and in the 2nd their 3 clearly cheated when we got away from him and pretended he had a head injury ...

They had a serious injury in the 1st half - worrying they struggled to get the ambulance crew through in the ground - it was only 604 in the crowd!

On the way home, Jamie O Hara was on Talk Sport talking about Non League Day  - and brought up his last minute sending off at our place back in 2016!

So 6 to play .. and it's in our hands .. very tough run, but we can get into the play offs .. 

We will need to use the full depth of the squad, which is why I am pleases Dayton and LDV played their part at the weekend.

My only fear in squad depth is defensively - Dequane is not fit - an injury to Lewis or James would leave us short at the back with only Okocha (or Wordwsorth - lacking match fitness) as cover - not sure if transfer deadline has gone or is this friday - if so another defender would be a worthwhile addition - ideally who could also play full back

Hornchurch is a big one tomorrow - whilst it wont define our season in isolation, a win (or draw even) puts us more than a win ahead of the chasing pack - and is this a good time to play them - are htey having a blip?

Calling it now .. I predict (slightly optimisticall?)

We finish 5th and beat Stortford in the semi - they will be deflated after losing out on the title, we'll be on a high ...

Aveley beat Cray and we win at their place in the final - the venue of our last trophy win in 2019!!!

May I say ME TOO to the above!!! 

Although I would like to see us gain the 11pts referred to previously I am not adverse to having a little help from the teams around us. Having looked at the up and coming matches of those immediately above us it interesting to see who they still have to play. For example Aveley have to play away to Canvey, Haringey and EFTC. Their two home games being Bishops Stortford and Horsham. Like us none of this  easy games. 

Even the others currently in playoff places, together with those just outside can still influence the out come.  Because there are several matches in which they have to play one another. Consequently it is impossible for all of them all to make their maximum points total.

That said I still hope we hold our nerve and form so that we get to at least 75 points. Which I stated in my original forecast I believed we required to make a playoff place.

Unfortunately I am still not able to go to evening games but following the time change, come rain or shine, I will try to be at the remaining Saturday afternoon home games.

It's certainly going to be squeaky "BUM TIME" these next few weeks. It's up to the team now. 🤞🤞

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I thought it was a game of two different styles of play we were as usual very direct and herne bay played it on the deck and very nicely at times they  seemed to play through our midfield very easily at times I’m not sold on youngs being our holding midfielder,I thought cass was immense up front and at times unplayable unfortunately he seemed isolated at times things improved when cunns came on to give him some support Coker and Taaffe both had poor games in my opinion,Nathan pulled off some really good saves at crucial moments in the game,I really hope herne bay stay up they try to play football the right way.

hornchuch tomorrow I would take a point right now 

Massive game tomorrow if we win just 4 points off Hornchurch I think, and if we go on an incredible late surge and somehow get maximum points from all our remaining games could even nick the league!!!!

But on the downside if we crumble we could end up 7th or 8th! But think we deserve the playoffs as we’ve been there all season and after the heartbreak of Hornchurch last season maybe we deserve a bit of luck????