Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Haringey Borough

seemgee

Very fortunate to get the penalty in the first half as Cunnington was certainly looking for it after a chat from the referee. Unfortunately, Cunnington got a bang to the head when he went down.

What followed was a combination of stupid and very poor management from those on the bench. Cunnington was clearly ‘out of it’ and couldn’t stand up straight yet they sent him back on. He lasted a few minutes before he then had to come off.

Now I’m not a trained medical officer but I know when someone should get medical attention. By the way, so many of the supporters around me were of the same opinion.

As for the game! 

I said we needed four points from the next two games, including today’s. Little did I know that we would only get one today.

What happens now.

I don't blame the team although AL will. But what's new. 

It is not a coincidence that we have let in goals within the last few minutes of the first and second halves in games that we were winning. No it is not. Not when you should be able to teach 10 ten year olds how to play out these situations. 

Discipline and organisation should be every coach's mantra. It obvious for a long time that AL either doesn't believe in this, or is unwilling, to instil these two functions in his method of play. If he says he does then he is pretty bad at it. 

As I have mentioned before I first saw an Enfield team play back in 1947. Other than my own playing career and National Service I have watched them consistently from 1967. In all that time I haven't felt so depressed at witnessing a team's ability to implode on the point of success, as this one has. 

I do hope the Board have a serious think about what their priorities are for next season other than the building expansion!!!!!   Please do give some consideration to a younger coach with modern views as to how the team should play.    

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Time for Andy to go. Once again all about game management. See the game out. But he has done this so many times. Brings a centre back in for a midfielder and instantly give up the ball and backs to wall. 

Chez for Wilson- Braithwaite was the killer today. From that moment it was backs to wall and panic mode throughout.

As for Cunns being sent back on with blood pouring from head injury and looked unsteady that needs to be investigated. 

And what happened to Marcus? Such a. bright young player with tonnes of energy. Exactly what we needed at 75/80 mins to run their defence ragged and yet can’t even get on the bench. We must demand change or it’s same old same old next season. 

As fans we must demand change and more from the club. You look at set ups like Horsham, Averley etc and we are going backwards. 

We didn’t replace Mo or Maja last season. Where is the money going? 

Edited by Comet

Not that surprised in all honesty.

All the home games this year very few Ive thought we re in complete control.

1st goal thought we were quite fortunate with both the pen and follow up.

Adam looked very awkward by the corner flag and surprised Andre didnt replace him.

Likewise surprised that Lyle came back on after hardly being able to walk.

Nathan let their 9 get to him and we got into trouble when he tried to throw out from the back.   Great save followed but they scored from the resulting corner.

2nd half we decided not to really go for it...and Boro were upset when Joe looked to handle it.  Despite a good finish from Jake for the 2nd.

As the 2nd half went on..we again retreated deeper.    Penalty came from the ball bouncing in our area. And that was our point.

End of the season today.   We dont score enough goals whilst those around us do and most have a better record in the top 6.

Frustrating end to the season as we went top a couple of months ago and since then have been consistently inconsistent.

Do we get enough performance/quality/tactics/results out of this team?

Probably not.   Id be happy to see a new leader to get us playing better football and this in turn leading to better results next season.    We re not making progress!!

Haven't I being saying that for years. I said it when we came to the QE11 Stadium that the ground needed a good team to support it. I also said a while later that we were becoming a social club with a football team rather than the other way around. I accept we started to move but our potential on the field lacked leadership.

It is now time to get back to basics. It may take a while but it will be better in the long run. Otherwise we will just stay as we are and the incoming players will get older. Whether you like it or not most successful teams at any level are now managed by young manager coaches with new ideas and have young fit players. It also helps to have one or two Board members who played and have knowledge of the game.

This year presented a golden opportunity to have a crack at the National League South next season. We will not now even make the play-offs - I'd suggest we'll most likely finish 8th.

There will be departures in the summer with the likes of Cunnington calling it a day. So, not only will it be necessary to make changes on the field of play, but it now must be time to make changes to the management team. I appreciate that Andy is cheap, and I'm sure the chairman finds him affable and easy to work with. However, this is a results business. If you are going to persevere with a style of play which is best described as 'unattractive' then you darn well better get results with it. Andy has failed. The Chairman needs to grab the nettle very very early in the off season and make a managerial change. If the Chairman is not willing to do so then it may well be time for some of us to demonstrate that we are truly a fan-owned club which can - and will - make changes to the Board when necessary.

5 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Aveley lose all three of their games and we win both of ours and it’s play off time. Everybody will be happy, especially AL who knew all along we were good enough for a play off place.

I want one of whatever you've been drinking Andy!

Having seen the last few matches, I think that when the team keeps the ball down and strings some passes together through midfield, we play some decent stuff. But there have been way too many long balls bypassing the midfield and (with the exception of Coker) not enough pace up front. We also seem predictable with three certainties:

1) Hoof up front from MacDonald 9 times out of 10 (why not throw it out occasionally and build from the back? Though admittedly when Nathan tried that today, it almost went horribly wrong…..)

2) Joe Payne long throw into the box (what happened to wing play and early crosses into the box, before the other team has time to organise?)

3) if we go ahead in a match, we sit back, let the opposition dominate possession and (eventually) concede.

I think we’re better than that. In fact, I thought we looked much better balanced in today’s match in the second half with Bakare and Coker both feeding off Cass, with Chez Isaac and Scott Thomas linking well together in midfield. But then we don’t seem to get the best out of Sam Youngs. Ah, the life of a football manager. Definitely not for the faint hearted or thin skinned.

You never know with football but I can’t say I’ll be driving to Bishops Stortford next week brimming with confidence 😢.

A gut wrenching end to a game I thought we had won but to be honest I wasn't surprised .Some of you predicted this may happen and you called it right  . Not sure who we could bring in if Andy was dispensed with ? Perhaps the Chestnuts manager who is very a experienced old school type . They surely have to sack him if they go down which looks likely now.  

It seems FC Man United seem to be in the same boat as us with being unable to escape level 3 and they have around triple our fanbase  but I doubt their local authority has been as generous to them as ours has been to us , so I suppose that evens itself out . .

But two more games and praying for a miracle I guess . But 8th / 9th looks likely now .

23 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Building expansion! Pie in the sky.

Why do you say that Andy ?