Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Lewes

Forster, Parcell, Payne, Thomas, McKenzie, Tanner, Youngs, Taaffe, Adjei-Hersey, Wyllie, Knight

Onyeagwara, Okotcha, Beckles-Richards, Soulya-Osekanongo

Given that the world is full of opinions, I’ll start by saying I think ETFC were fortunate to get the three points today. We could have been one nil down before we scored and Lewes had more than enough chances to take the three points. End to end game but the winner will always be the one who takes their chances. 

Rhys was definitely the busier of the keepers.    Think it was Lewes' cb who hit the post 2nd half and imagine Gavin will think we were fortunate to get all 3 pts today.   We seem to increasingly be a counter attacking team and thought that we sat back and rarely built up play instead of giving it back and Marcus being isolated.

That said clean sheet and 3 points very welcome.

42 minutes ago, djwilf said:

Rhys was definitely the busier of the keepers.    Think it was Lewes' cb who hit the post 2nd half and imagine Gavin will think we were fortunate to get all 3 pts today.   We seem to increasingly be a counter attacking team and thought that we sat back and rarely built up play instead of giving it back and Marcus being isolated.

That said clean sheet and 3 points very welcome.

He could have been our man of the match.

Tactically excellent in the first half… pressing high up the field closing down their No6 who was their go to player and keeping the chances down to a minimum… second half tactically awful… 10 players inside our own half inviting them forward … Keeper made one outstanding save that even got applause from the oppo fans and was my man of the match along with Dylan who was playing right back the majority of the game…. A great result in a massive game for us so seems petty to moan about the style but come on we shouldn’t be hanging on at home for the whole 45mins……

First 25", including opening goal, we were all over Lewes.

Then we lost our way; long, high balls in that wind! Really?

Then petulant silliness in extra time.

Good to see Jake Cass warming up with the team (then getting a kebab at half-time 🤭)

COYT ✊🏻 

Edited by WXEn8

Apart from a good first half hour, this was one of the most boring games of football I’ve seen in a long time.  Thoughts that were echoed by other fans around me.  Still, happy with the three points!

Gritty is the word that springs to mind.

I expected Lewes to have the majority of the possession (that’s how they play) and I thought our shape countered all that possession effectively.

There were never going to be many goals. Yes, they hit the post in the second half and Rhys made some good saves, but Wyllie could (should?) have made it 2-0 just before half time and his disallowed goal in the second half for offside looked marginal.

A confidence-boosting 3 points from a “must win” - now we need something similar on Tuesday night at Concord.

It had the feeling of a July pre-season friendly where Gavin had told the lads to practice keeping their defensive shape and then look to catch Lewes using Marcus on the counter-attack. The onus was very much on Lewes to break us down. If Gavin can win the last 10/12 games of the season then I'm all in favour of him implementing whatever tactical masterplan he devises. The concern I have is that we really have not been stingy enough at the back. On another day Lewes could (and perhaps should) have had 3+ goals. I can only assume that Gavin doesn't believe that Town are a good enough footballing side to outplay the likes of Lewes. Although presumably the tactics would've changed had Lewes taken the lead.

In short: happy with the 3 points, but not a performance to bring more fans through the turnstiles.

On 11/03/2024 at 13:21, The Crowing Cockerel said:

It had the feeling of a July pre-season friendly where Gavin had told the lads to practice keeping their defensive shape and then look to catch Lewes using Marcus on the counter-attack. The onus was very much on Lewes to break us down. If Gavin can win the last 10/12 games of the season then I'm all in favour of him implementing whatever tactical masterplan he devises. The concern I have is that we really have not been stingy enough at the back. On another day Lewes could (and perhaps should) have had 3+ goals. I can only assume that Gavin doesn't believe that Town are a good enough footballing side to outplay the likes of Lewes. Although presumably the tactics would've changed had Lewes taken the lead.

In short: happy with the 3 points, but not a performance to bring more fans through the turnstiles.

Having listened to Gavin's post-match interview it turns out that we were down to our last 13 fit players on Saturday - hence the formation and the tactics. Fingers crossed he can get a few more bodies in/back in time for another 'must win' against Horsham on Saturday!

Really need some reinforcements

playing games with 13 fit ( tired ) players hardly ideal for a tough run- in  - lets hope Gavin has some luck with recruitment in time for another tough match v Horsham on Saturday ( Subject to pitch / rain )

Europe aside, next few weeks are against some difficult sides !!