Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Kidderminster Harriers

Special K

I'm surprised there has been so little feedback from any of the 100 or so fans who made the trip.

I heard the first hour on t'internet, it seemed we were still playing our "direct" football, which was commented on by Lord Chas, saying how much he despised it, and we look a different side when we pass it short.

What went wrong?

Was it Kiddies were that much more motivated by their half time team talk?

Did they change tactics, or did we?

Was Lance still launching exocets at the opposing keeper, or did he throw it sometimes?

Perhaps young Sam Mott might get a chance to show that he is worth a start.

From the games I have seen him play, he seems far more prepared to distribute the ball short, rather than an aimless punt.

I will be happier when Sacha and Darius are back, but I was purturbed to hear Liam's comments, added to the rumours that all is not well in the dressing room. As is always the case, the press reports are probably over hyped, but there is never any fire without some smoke.

Not much has been posted because our performance was largely uninspiring. Other than Shakes' goal very little happened for either team in the first half and it was looking a bit like the smash and grab at York last season.

In the second half, Kiddie actually started attacking with venom and, most importantly, with penetrating passing. That said, their three goals were largely down to loose defending on our part. I don't know if James Smith is injured at the moment, but putting Hawkins in the middle to keep him out of the team seemed a bizarre decision.

Having gone 2-1 down, we had few options on the bench to spark a late surge, although I would have given Ibe a run-out. Instead, we had the attacking might of George Purcell, who missed an absolute sitter from about six yards out. I have to say that I have very rarely seen him put in a good display for the Fleet, and he may well leave soon to 'find his level' at a lower-league club.

Overall, a disappointing result, made worse by the fact that we were ahead. Also, I haven't seen us win this season and my next game will be the FA Cup on 25th. It looks like the second weekend in November will be free again for us!

Thanks for the information, Bernard.

My belief is that our problems stem from mainly 2 areas,

1 the lack of self confidence to play the short passing game and

2 Not giving ourselves the chance even to play that way, by preferring to play 'direct' football.

With the likes of Akinde and Moore that was always an option, as they would always chase everyting.

Gash and Moore are altogether different, requiring accurate passes to feet.

I'm not totally convinced wholesale player changes are the answer, more it is a change of playng philosophy and and the banishing of the dreaded long ball that is the answer.

That can be sorted out ant Fleet Leisure.

Although Liam may deny this, the long ball is king at the moment. It has its place, but we over rely on it. We certainly don't appear confident enough to play the short passing game that you refer to. This is something that should be worked upon.

Apart from the true "sitter" that Purcell put wide with an open goal in front of him, Shakes launched a shot into orbit in the first half when, had it been on target, it could well have amounted to his second goal.

Kiddy made some deft substitutions and really attacked us in the second half. The third goal was in large part down to a mistake by Pooley who until then had been playing well. Unlike the England "supporters" later we certainly didn't boo our defender because of this error. Although the team didn't play particularly well, they received plenty of applause from the travelling fans at the end of the game.

Thanks Jimmy.

How did Stone get on in Long's usual spot?

It is becoming a bit frustrating, we arguably have the best individual players since we have been in the premiership but seem incapable of putting together a top of the table results run.

As I have said before the style of football we play appears to be what Liam wants or why else do we keep on lumping it forward.

Maybe a few grizzled old timers rather than younger players still learning their trade should be our next imports but they of course will cost more on the wage bill.

It could of course all come good in the next few weeks and we will all be happy. Maybe bedding in Hand's talent has changed the areas of the pitch that players now have to occupy and this has thrown off course for a while.

Originally Posted By: rsheard
Is the "trouble in the dressing room" anything more than a simple run of three successive losses? I would think our place in the table three games ago and our place today would be enough to cause a little dissent. But maybe something else is brewing in addition?

There were some mutterings of discontent with the manager from Smith and Purcell - who appear to be out of favour at the moment. Not sure why really, Smith is the encumbant England C capatain, and Purcell (who many think has never reached his expected heights) is the only other natuaral left footed attacking playing, other than Long.
No doubt Liam has his reasons for his team selections and tactics, but one thing is certain, it's not working at the moment.
Hopefully if Sacha is recovered on Saurday, Liam can put out his strongest side,:
which will probably be something like
Cronin
Ricketts MacCarthy Pooley Opinel
Stone Hand Barrett Long
Gash Moore

Subs
Mott Smith Purcell Ibe Shakes

We lost badly on Saturday, Rich. Wasn't there, so don't know if Macca played well or as poorly as everyone else.

It seems we have 5 decent centre backs in Macca, Hawkins, Pooley, Smith and Charles. The difficulty is fitting them all in (or rotating them) when they are all fit.

Of help to Liam is Macca's wish not to play every game - I assume this will be his last palying year, and will allow him to continue with his coaching badges, but at some time we must lose the reliance on Macca as our defensive saviour. Others are equally capable.

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz

Hopefully if Sacha is recovered on Saurday, Liam can put out his strongest side,:
which will probably be something like
Cronin
Ricketts MacCarthy Pooley Opinel
Stone Hand Barrett Long
Gash Moore

Subs
Mott Smith Purcell Ibe Shakes

For my tuppence, I don't think that Sacha has played very well this season so far and would have your back four with Darius in place of Sacha (sacrilege to many)

And I would always have a place for Danny. I would have him starting, but he has always been my favourite, surely there is a place for him on the bench at least

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
Purcell (who many think has never reached his expected heights) is the only other natuaral left footed attacking playing, other than Long.

Not sure about his favoured foot but Appiah played wide left in his first appearance for us and looked very useful, albeit against Ramsgate, after the impact he made against Woking I think I would have him in ahead of George.

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast
Appiah played wide left in his first appearance for us and looked very useful, albeit against Ramsgate, after the impact he made against Woking I think I would have him in

Has anyone filed a missing persons report?