Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Building bridges

Originally Posted By: kmj
Thanks for the link. I have read it quickly but cannot see any mention of the film. It did remind me of another film though - Electra Glyde in Blue.

It is true that the US market was able to largely withstand the Japanese imports while the UK market could not.

It comes down to the personal preference of bikers. Some will always support a particular make.

seems as tho' they were custom made according to this from the easy rider site...its interesting tho' that harley take the credit for them and even use the easy rider tag for sales of accessories etc...

Both the Captain America bike and the Billy Bike were designed and built by an African-American bike builder named Ben Hardy. Peter Fonda met Hardy when Hardy built the bike he rode in The Wild Angels (1966). Dennis Hopper is interviewed in the documentary "History of the Chopper" and confirms that it was Hardy who built the bikes.

Originally Posted By: kmj
Thanks for the link. I have read it quickly but cannot see any mention of the film. It did remind me of another film though - Electra Glyde in Blue.

It is true that the US market was able to largely withstand the Japanese imports while the UK market could not.

It comes down to the personal preference of bikers. Some will always support a particular make.

You have to remember the difference in average travel miles between Britain and America. Sports bikes rather than big touring bikes in Britain, to get quickly from A to B.
Touring bikes here for longer journeys, and comfort.
There are a more Honda Goldwings sold here now than ever before, the Japanese changed direction and brought in touring bikes rather than Crutch Rocket Sportsbikes.
American snowmobile and fourwheel ATV company Polaris, have recently launched a Touring range called Victory Motorcycles to try and win back a share from Honda.

Two summers ago I rode the Natchez Trace Parkway (which includes some bridges, so this isn't completely off topic)--which runs 460 miles from Nashville, Tennessee to Natchez, Mississippi. I was stopped at one overlook rest area near the end of my tour, drinking some water, when I heard two bikers who were also stopped complaining of how tired they were getting. Then one of them asked me where I started and then looked at his partner and told him to shut the fck up, at least they weren't pedaling like I was. One of my favorite moments of the tour.

Sorry, UU, I won't be able to keep pace with your Harley Tour, but I'll spend less on fuel!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/slideshow/?o=3Tzut&pic_id=107731&v=C

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
great foto RS....the sign behind you looks familiar and I have seen that and the name natchez somewhere before I am certain...?

I also do a few hundred miles each week on a bike....upstairs in the gym...grin
My students, of course, love to take the piss regarding those photos. They love seeing the old man wearing spandex cycling gear. A few of the braver ones have even used it as their background for Power Point presentations. I get so much respect.

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
yeah that pat gradley thread is history...gaz's thread will triumph and needs fertilising for rapid growth...

I shall get the leather clad bisexual butchy on the case later...devil

I am good at that. I can make threads grow ...