Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

What a disrespectful comment,our players will get kicked over a hedge.

No disrespect, total common sense. If I was good enough to play against them I would kick them over the hedge. Otherwise, believe me, if they are left alone they are capable of destroying any team. Coaches at this level will soon sort them out you mark my words

Changing the subject slightly did gurning originate in Guernsey? :wirr:

No in the Rednap's household where ever that may be...

No disrespect, total common sense. If I was good enough to play against them I would kick them over the hedge. Otherwise, believe me, if they are left alone they are capable of destroying any team. Coaches at this level will soon sort them out you mark my words

Be interesting to see how you get on against A.F.C. Wimbledon Res.,that will give us an idea of your level.Forgot the Fair Play Award,your probably win that as well.Print plenty of programmes for your first match,then you can sell them on E.BAY,YOU WILL DO A ROARING TRADE. Oh and build yourself a large trophy cabinet.

Edited by Smudge

how can you expect a population of 62k to produce a side capable of winning any English league

I see what you are saying about having a boundary to your recruitment Guru but certainly population matters little. Look at the population of some recently promoted clubs from CCL Premier:

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

and last year's CCL1 champs' Worcester Park's population is 10240.

The main difference is that in Guernsey we have a 7 club league. That means in reality we have 77 first team players to pick from but in reality that number is much lower to play at this level. I think that we have approximately 20 to 25 players, no more, that are good enough to play in the CCL. But the main difference between us and the populations mentioned above is that we do not have the ability to bring in anyone else. It is heartening to see teams from these places doing so well but we certainly have our restrictions

GG, we have 17 other teams in the CCL div 1. If each squad had 18 players we would have 306 players to choose from. If we put one squad together from those then we would have a very good team indeed. You may not have as many to choose from but you do get the option to choose the best. Other CCL teams will not have this luxury. I think you will be a strong team and I think the players will adapt quickly.

how can you expect a population of 62k to produce a side capable of winning any English league

I see what you are saying about having a boundary to your recruitment Guru but certainly population matters little. Look at the population of some recently promoted clubs from CCL Premier:

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

The main difference is that in Guernsey we have a 7 club league. That means in reality we have 77 first team players to pick from but in reality that number is much lower to play at this level. I think that we have approximately 20 to 25 players, no more, that are good enough to play in the CCL. But the main difference between us and the populations mentioned above is that we do not have the ability to bring in anyone else. It is heartening to see teams from these places doing so well but we certainly have our restrictions

GG, we have 17 other teams in the CCL div 1. If each squad had 18 players we would have 306 players to choose from. If we put one squad together from those then we would have a very good team indeed. You may not have as many to choose from but you do get the option to choose the best. Other CCL teams will not have this luxury. I think you will be a strong team and I think the players will adapt quickly.

Indeed. I guess if you are a very good player in Guernsey's 62000 population there will be just the one club you can and would want to play for. Mainland clubs AND players have more options.

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

Indeed. I guess if you are a very good player in Guernsey's 62000 population there will be just the one club you can and would want to play for. Mainland clubs AND players have more options.

Our very own fans forum team is a good example. Top goalscorers in the Prem and div 1 up top together and that's just from a small selection of players on the forum. Lucky to have them on here I guess. You will no doubt have your top marksmen available. Out of interest how many goals do your top 5 strikers tally at the end of the season?

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

Our very own fans forum team is a good example. Top goalscorers in the Prem and div 1 up top together and that's just from a small selection of players on the forum. Lucky to have them on here I guess. You will no doubt have your top marksmen available. Out of interest how many goals do your top 5 strikers tally at the end of the season?

Today's paper ran a story on the island 2nd top scorer from last season not signing up to Guernsey FC and he scored 33 goals in a 24 league game season, not sure how many cup games he played in.

Chipstead <6000

Merstham 7385

Chertsey 15967

Obviously some of the 7 teams we have that make up our league are not as strong as others! Basically we have 3 top teams, 2 middle teams and 2 bottom (but to be honest the gap between them has narrowed with the exception of this year as one team signed nearly all of the GFC squad so all of the others were as close as they have been)

Our very top 2 goalscorers regularly average about 40 to 50 goals each in a season, then we have a bunch of about 7 who regularly score 20 to 25 each a season

I would expect Guernsey to have a near impeccable home record. Some visiting players will freeze in front of large crowds, some teams will have key players missing as they can't travel for whatever reason, some players will still be suffering from the night before (naming no names ;)) and some will have their minds on the Saturday night jolly.

I think Knappers could have a good chance of a result though, with all the expectation of a large crowd and Guernsey not knowing what to expect.

I reckon their away record will be more patchy though. A Tuesday night trip to South Kilburn in January will not be for the faint hearted and I can see them being turned over particularly on cold Tuesday evenings on rough pitches. Having said that, their home record will see them finish in the top 3.

Very true comments TRS.....................also lets not forget '' How many players are scared of flying'' ? Has anyone thought of that .................!

This is from the AFC Wimbledon website about Saturday...........

The development squad will operate as the club's reserve team in the Suburban League Premier Division, as well as playing friendly games against similar squads at other league teams.

The reward for the new recruits is a trip to Guernsey FC, who are newly-formed and who have joined the Combined Counties League for season 2011-12. Club President Dickie Guy, Chief Executive Erik Samuelson and Vice President Mike Richardson are accompanying Marcus, assistant manager Jon Phillips and the squad to the game, which will be played on Saturday evening.

Although the final squad for the start of the season has not quite been finalised the early signs are looking good for our home grown players. Nathan Gordon, Charlie Girdler, Dawayne Campbell, Robert Appiah, Huw Johnson, Zachery Richards and Kevant Serbony all completed their second year in our Academy and have done enough in pre-season to be on the flight. They will be joined by three excellent prospects who have a year left at the Senior Academy, namely Jake Rose, Frankie Merrifield and Cherno Mendy.

First team squad members Reece Jones, Brendan Kiernan and Jack Turner are also travelling, the last two also being former youth team players.

There are some good players there and a few who played against Fulham last Saturday.

Brendan Kiernan will be a big star.

Changing the subject slightly did gurning originate in Guernsey? :wirr:

No in the Rednap's household where ever that may be...

WAS that the Redrup household?

This could be true smudge!!!

Be interesting to see how you get on against A.F.C. Wimbledon Res.,that will give us an idea of your level.Forgot the Fair Play Award,your probably win that as well.Print plenty of programmes for your first match,then you can sell them on E.BAY,YOU WILL DO A ROARING TRADE. Oh and build yourself a large trophy cabinet.

I am looking forward to the AFC game as like you say it will help us find out what our level is. As for a large trophy cabinet I don't know how far we can progress up the pyramid ( if at all lol ! ) so I've just called the carpenters off for the moment !

Just spoke to someone who went to see Guernsey play and he said he thinks they are decent ryman 1 side!! Be prepared lads!!

Your friend may have seen us play on that one day that we played really well, but I doubt we ever played like a decent Ryman side. Dont get me wrong we can certainly play and are well organised but Ryman level is way above us.

Why dont you all wait until after the Knaphill game as they will come back with the answers to any questions any one may have, including what level we are. Whereas for us even after playing Knaphill we will not know where we stand as we do not know who are the better sides in the league

Just read in the Guernsey Press,that supporters at Footes Lane,will be able to get closer to the action behind both goals.As many of you know,Footes Lane is surrounded by a running track,be interesting to see how this is done.Would the ground need to be revisited by the F.A.or C.C.L.to approve the changes?

Smudge - this is the same at Chelmsford city.

Their ground is an athletics track and they haev a roro terrace (Roll on roll off)

here it is

http://chelmsfordcitysoapbox84887.yuku.com/topic/10835/Covered-RORO-A-Short-Guided-Tour