Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Step 5 Restructuring

E&E Ed, I think if the FA get their way [and they usually do !] then playoffs would eventually be introduced down to Step 5 in line with the rest of the pyramid.

Any Step 4 clubs doing it 'Windsor style' as you put it would be relegated 2 divisions so would end up at Step 6 ! Don't forget Windsor & Eton were not relegated under the insolvency rules but were actually placed at Step 5 [rightly or wrongly] as a new club although I think the FA had some sympathy with the people trying to save the original club who were thwarted at every attempt by the owner of the company who didn't want it saved.

Windsor_Sec - if playoffs mean another promotion slot for each Step 5 League, it will also mean 2 extra relegation slots for each Step 4 League. How would you see that happening without a massive fight?

3 down gives you 18 promotion places so you could see the introduction of inter-league playoffs to find the 6 'best of the rest' 2nd-placed teams and likewise for the 6 going down. What's certain is there would be a lot of movement across the leagues each close season to accomodate the relegated teams regionally !

Smudge, I would suggest for logistical reasons Guernsey would be classed as being based at Gatwick airport. The other logical move would be if they are at step 4 by then they could be classed as being based at Southampton airport.

3 down gives you 18 promotion places so you could see the introduction of inter-league playoffs to find the 6 'best of the rest' 2nd-placed teams and likewise for the 6 going down. What's certain is there would be a lot of movement across the leagues each close season to accomodate the relegated teams regionally !

I personally can't see Inter-League playoffs, but who knows. I also believe that if Step 4 leagues have 3 teams relegated each season, they will fight to get 3 teams promoted to Step 3.

They can fight all they want. I think it will come to the fact that each league will have the ability to have 2 teams promoted from their league. Step 4 clubs have that ability now.

They can fight all they want. I think it will come to the fact that each league will have the ability to have 2 teams promoted from their league. Step 4 clubs have that ability now.

So are you also suggesting Inter-League 2nd place play-offs to determine the extra 6 promotion places? - have to agree it would be much simpler with only 12 Leagues rather than 14

So are you also suggesting Inter-League 2nd place play-offs to determine the extra 6 promotion places? - have to agree it would be much simpler with only 12 Leagues rather than 14

Yep.and of course it would work.

Yep.and of course it would work.

Leaving it as it is with no extra promotion / relegation slots also works. If I were a gambling man that's where my bet would be placed

I don't understand why Step Four clubs have a problem with extra relegation slots. Surely in most cases better clubs come up, making their leagues stronger. It is very similar to the closed shop operated by the Football League before 1986 and we've seen the progress that has happened since that was opened up.

If we had 3 down then interleague playoffs might be interesting but would that lead to further extra fixtures than standard playoffs?

If we are also expanding to 24 clubs in each league then we could have some serious fixture congestion if a team has a season like say Hanworth Villa or South Park have had. It's just as well they both have decent pitches and that the weather has been good.

I also noticed in that Sussex example that Peacehaven moved east while East Grinstead stayed in the western bit. I can understand why they haven't included Guernsey or Bedfont Sports though as its a simpler model to use the teams that are already in place.

What a pity another isn't still around. He'd have sorted this out with minimum fuss and delay, given the opportunity.

You are right there Ed. I also agree that teams will not be bothered about 3 relegation places. Lets be honest most of the time the 2nd placed team survives so all it will mean is that the 3rd palced team will survive. So I think they would go for it.

The play offs would be easy to arrange as it would be 2nd from one league v 2nd from another league over 2 legs. Only 2 more games.

I personally can't see Inter-League playoffs, but who knows. I also believe that if Step 4 leagues have 3 teams relegated each season, they will fight to get 3 teams promoted to Step 3.

Why can't the FA do the obvious and have the same criteria for promotion / relegation for every league from Premiership to Step 6 ? At least everyone starts a season knowing where they stand ! My own personal view is 3 up 3 down with the champions and runners-up going up automatically and the 3rd team via a playoff [and that's always been my view not just because of the current league table. LOL]. The playoffs wouldn't necessarily be between the 3rd & 6th placed teams, you could liven it up a bit by playing 3rd top against 3rd bottom from the division above ?

Please be under no illusions. The proposed re-structure of Step 5 (and 6, in due course) is not intended to create additional promotion places. It will still be one up only from each Step 5 League. The only possible concession being considered, which is nothing to do with the re-structure is that the Step 3/4 Leagues may decide in future seasons that the clubs finishing at the bottom of their Step 4 divisions will be relegated whatever happens, whereas at the moment there is always the possibility of a reprieve.

The sole reason that we have been given for the proposed re-structure is to avoid the unlikely situation of all fourteen of the Step 5 leagues providing a suitable candidate for promotion in the same season, when nominally there are only twelve promotion places available. The simple solution of having one or two of the Step 4 divisions running with an extra club for one season or using play-offs does not appear to be under consideration.

We have concluded though that it is likely to go ahead unless enough clubs come out against the idea. Of the fourteen leagues, many will remain relatively untouched, whilst others will improve their situation in terms of numbers, so are likely to be in favour. Based on the current thinking, many of our clubs will find themselves travelling down to Sussex on a regular basis on non-motorway type roads. Others will be trekking up to Oxfordshire etc. It may sound exciting and clubs must make up their own minds but with the best will in the world not every long distance match can be played on a Saturday. Hanworth Villa to Lancing is quite a distance for midweek just to give one possible example.