Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tuesday 31st January

Mewcenary

A simple disclaimer form signed by both Managers would surely solve the problem, Krooner?

One or two additional lines on the match form would do it. Something like, "I, the referee felt that the pitch was unplayable, but both teams wanted to go ahead and confirm this fact below" Add two lines for signatures below and that is job done!

As for Dorking, then (assuming it genuinely wasn't playable), they did the right thing in trying to play and holding on for the last minute in my opinion. If at Banstead it was frozen in mid afternoon, then I think it is safe to assume it isn't getting better. However, my problem with Banstead's decision was that by calling it off so early they didn't wait to see whether it might, just might thaw and we have experienced that before up there, so I'm sure that's what happened.

In my book you should always make every effort to play, even if it does occasionally mean a wasted journey. We aren't exactly traversing the Country. Although the official line may well mean for this to happen, I'm not convinced that this is always the case and my thoughts were only reinforced last night.

Some Windsor fans may rather have known earlier to save a journey, but imagine if they were still in the Vase, the League Cup and a County cup or two and were told that the game was off at 10.30 despite a forecast just breaking zero, and then found out that half the League played that evening? You'd have had quite a few on here I would imagine. Fortunately, we are well up on fixtures due to a mild winter, but that's not the point.

I didn't see the Dorking pitch last night but work in the area and I reckon that would have been a borderline decision. In those circumstances the ref could have asked the two Managers and you might even have got that match played last night too.

It might not have been the greatest of games (although you were far less likely to get feigned injuries!), but this is a Winter sport and every single one of us who have played at any level will have played in far worse conditions than yesterday evening's.

A simple disclaimer form signed by both Managers would surely solve the problem, Krooner?

One or two additional lines on the match form would do it. Something like, "I, the referee felt that the pitch was unplayable, but both teams wanted to go ahead and confirm this fact below" Add two lines for signatures below and that is job done!

As for Dorking, then (assuming it genuinely wasn't playable), they did the right thing in trying to play and holding on for the last minute in my opinion. If at Banstead it was frozen in mid afternoon, then I think it is safe to assume it isn't getting better. However, my problem with Banstead's decision was that by calling it off so early they didn't wait to see whether it might, just might thaw and we have experienced that before up there, so I'm sure that's what happened.

In my book you should always make every effort to play, even if it does occasionally mean a wasted journey. We aren't exactly traversing the Country. Although the official line may well mean for this to happen, I'm not convinced that this is always the case and my thoughts were only reinforced last night.

Some Windsor fans may rather have known earlier to save a journey, but imagine if they were still in the Vase, the League Cup and a County cup or two and were told that the game was off at 10.30 despite a forecast just breaking zero, and then found out that half the League played that evening? You'd have had quite a few on here I would imagine. Fortunately, we are well up on fixtures due to a mild winter, but that's not the point.

I didn't see the Dorking pitch last night but work in the area and I reckon that would have been a borderline decision. In those circumstances the ref could have asked the two Managers and you might even have got that match played last night too.

It might not have been the greatest of games (although you were far less likely to get feigned injuries!), but this is a Winter sport and every single one of us who have played at any level will have played in far worse conditions than yesterday evening's.

Especially when I drove to Bansteads ground last night and saw that on the pitch next to the main one, there was some kids training happening! Surely if it was that bad then they wouldn't have trained on it?

Any idea when the Banstead v W. Park game will be re-scheduled for?

We've got Wembley in the league next week so it may be in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately the problem nowadays is the 'compensation culture' that we live in, and referees more often that not will now show greater caution and call the game off rather than play and risk the threat of getting sued if a player gets injured.

As Krooner said it's all very well everybody being happy to play the game beforehand, but people quickly change their opinion once a team mate has been injured or their team goes a couple of goals behind.

In response to the disclaimer suggestion by E&E Ed, I think the referee would be irresponsible to sign such a disclaimer and then allow a game to go ahead on a pitch that he doesn't feel is fit.

Out of interest E&E Ed how did the referee deem that the pitch was unplayable? Did he run on it himself? Use a key and see if he could get it into the ground?

I can see where you are going EE but I would suggest it would require every player to sign a disclaimer not just the managers.

What we need is a shift away from this Compensation Culture or rather fear of. Maybe then things can change.

Assuming it genuinely wasn't playable ? Bansteads decision to call it off early ? What are you insinuating that these games may have been ''conveniently'' called off.......nah surely not Ed that doesn't go on........lol !

Especially when I drove to Bansteads ground last night and saw that on the pitch next to the main one, there was some kids training happening! Surely if it was that bad then they wouldn't have trained on it?

Do Officials get paid when They call a game off,or just travelling expenses?

I think they get half fee if I remember correctly.

As is usually the case, Kroons, you are absolutely correct.

All three officials get a half of the full fee.

Any idea when the Banstead v W. Park game will be re-scheduled for?

We've got Wembley in the league next week so it may be in 2 weeks.

On a Tuesday night?! Blimey that's a nice little trip for them!

Wembley have already made the trip to Merland Rise on a Tuesday night,only for the game to get called off at 7pm.Waterlogged pitch,well a few puddles.

Just to put the record straight as far as the DFC - Windsor postponed game of Tuesday.

I was in touch with two of the Windsor officials, right up until I left for the ground just before 6:00p.

Up to that point, the club were doing regular ground checks, the last being at 4:00pm when, we had to say that the pitch was playable, although we knew in our heart of hearts it would probably freeze over before the normal full-time. Under the rules, we had to then put the matter in the hands of the match officials.

By 6:05 when I arrived, parts of the pitch were starting to harden.

The match referee arrived at about 6:15-6:20 and immediately walked the pitch, before he decided to give it another 30 minutes or so.

At 6:55, after a consulation behind closed doors with the managers, the referee called the game off.

Edited by Big J R

Big JR I travelled down from working in East London only to get a call as i was getting my dinner at the fish and chip shop on the high street near the ground! Now the second time i've been all the way to Dorking this season for the game! It happens and is part of the non league experience. No issues with me, had a drink in the bar, made to feel welcome, managed to get a lift home off Mal all good. Do appreciate the explanation, but please don't think anyone at Windsor is blaming anyone at Dorking, communication was good throughout the day. Looking forward to my third trip in a few weeks!

I'd just like to place on record that Nice Goat's interpretation of the words I used is, as usual incorrect. He was looking for something that wasn't there and just twisted the words to suit his own twisted mind.

By saying that "assuming Dorking was genuinely unplayable" I meant actually, genuinely frozen, rather than the referee not fancying it and calling it off himself because he wanted a night in front of the tv instead.

I was actually complimenting Dorking on trying to hold on as long as possible, even if it ultimately didn't work out. At least they tried. I would like to think most people understood this, but clearly the sh1t stirrer in the corner missed the point again.

Also full credit to Dorking's ref who Big JR says had a chat with the Managers before making his decision. That's exactly how it should be done. Ours made no effort to do this whatsoever. For that reason, they shouldn't be getting half a match fee as they haven't considered the circumstances fully.

In answer to the earlier question about how did the ref deem the pitch as unplayable, I have to say I don't know, as I felt certain that it would be on, so paid little attention to the three officials in the middle of the ground as I went around the pitch putting the flags out. I might look a bit closer next time!

I still think a disclaimer works, personally. The ultimate aim should be to try and get the game played if at all possible, and some people make more effort to do so. Since we have found out that Cove, Egham, Badshot Lea, Leatherhead, Whyteleafe and Corinthian Casuals managed to play, then clearly something went wrong here and we have to pay for it, as usual.

I'd just like to place on record that Nice Goat's interpretation of the words I used is, as usual incorrect. He was looking for something that wasn't there and just twisted the words to suit his own twisted mind.

By saying that "assuming Dorking was genuinely unplayable" I meant actually, genuinely frozen, rather than the referee not fancying it and calling it off himself because he wanted a night in front of the tv instead.

Then ED why didn't you say ''frozen'' that would have avoided any suspicion of what you meant. Do you think I was the only one who thought what I said, its just I've the bo**ocks to come out and say it and don't hide being a smoke screen.

I was actually complimenting Dorking on trying to hold on as long as possible, even if it ultimately didn't work out. At least they tried. I would like to think most people understood this, but clearly the sh1t stirrer in the corner missed the point again.

Also full credit to Dorking's ref who Big JR says had a chat with the Managers before making his decision. That's exactly how it should be done. Ours made no effort to do this whatsoever. For that reason, they shouldn't be getting half a match fee as they haven't considered the circumstances fully.

In answer to the earlier question about how did the ref deem the pitch as unplayable, I have to say I don't know, as I felt certain that it would be on, so paid little attention to the three officials in the middle of the ground as I went around the pitch putting the flags out. I might look a bit closer next time!

I still think a disclaimer works, personally. The ultimate aim should be to try and get the game played if at all possible, and some people make more effort to do so. Since we have found out that Cove, Egham, Badshot Lea, Leatherhead, Whyteleafe and Corinthian Casuals managed to play, then clearly something went wrong here and we have to pay for it, as usual.

I think it was Ron Atkinson who said

" I don't comment about referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat"

Instead of "referee", substitute, well you get the picture.

...... and with the weather set cold for the weekend again, we may well have more discourse on the above subject.

But it WON'T be Meadowbank - That I can safely say, even though NG might think there is a match scheduled there !