Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Mo Farah

and perhaps they could teach Ashley Cole at the same time. Singing the National Anthem is nowt to do with success. I imagine when he is getting his gold he is not thinking about it ! We should revel in his success he is a fantastic talent gleaned from a lot of hard work and in my humble opinion what we witnessed over the past two weeks was the best ever. Leaving the Legacy in the safe hands of Seb Coe, combined with the retention of funding and a return to competitive sports at school should see the continued development of many more Mo's and Jessica's. Back Holly Bleasdale to win the Pole Vault at Rio!

and perhaps they could teach Ashley Cole at the same time. Singing the National Anthem is nowt to do with success. I imagine when he is getting his gold he is not thinking about it ! We should revel in his success he is a fantastic talent gleaned from a lot of hard work and in my humble opinion what we witnessed over the past two weeks was the best ever. Leaving the Legacy in the safe hands of Seb Coe, combined with the retention of funding and a return to competitive sports at school should see the continued development of many more Mo's and Jessica's. Back Holly Bleasdale to win the Pole Vault at Rio!

Not sure if a return of competitive sport to schools is a good idea. As Jessica Ennis said last week, the important thing is to get kids to enjoy sport first, the competitive side can develop later. Nothing could be worse than kids no longer participating in sport as soon as they leave school because they lost all self esteem when they weren't considered good enough in their formative years.

Dont share your optimism regarding Lord Coe being in charge of the legacy either. Its one thing being in charge of a complex organization when money is no object and you have the benefit of unprecedented hype, its a totally different ball game when you have to deal with financial cuts a hostile press when things start to go wrong.

Misunderstood- obviously we disagree on both these points. I am a believer in competitive sports ,as in my experience a lot of children actually develop self esteem through their success at sport. Academically ,they may struggle but once of the field of sport they excel. I agree there are some who may struggle and I feel for them ; but at some point strong and weak have to be separated. I think the point Jess was probably trying to make (did not hear the interview) is don't make them participate in competitive sport too soon so they have time to enjoy it. I believe last year at primary school is a good time to become competitive. I don't disagree with you entirely on this point because I have been saying for a long while, until kids are 11 they should not play competitive football ,the same applies to other sports.

As for Seb I think time will tell. I believe he will be a total success and has the ability (and bought a period of grace) to manage the press , the critical left and all the other finger pointers that will come out from beneath their stones. In my opinion Seb being successful is vital to the sporting framework of the country.Personally, I believe we have the legacy in very safe hands whatever the economics of the situation.

Edited by Stop Whinging

Children do actually like achieving, they get a huge sense of confidence from overcoming a challenge although most usually they do not fear it. Some people think they will break if you test them. They don't. No need to wrap them up in cotton wool and cater to the lowest denominator always fearing damaging a tiny minority, they'll just learn to write their own sick notes from their "mother". Competitiveness lets them know at an early age that that ferrari and dream lifestyle won't just be waiting for them when they leave school, no-one is waiting there to hand them the keys. [****!!****] sake you'd think British kids needed to be protected from a scrape on the knee these days.

What do you suppose went on folks immediately after the race on Saturday when Mo appeared to shun the flag his wife wanted him to parade following his 5000m victory, very strange and his wife looks quite miffed in these pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2187440/Did-Olympic-busybodies-shine-Mo-Farahs-wife-Tanias-celebration.html?ITO=1490

Misunderstood- obviously we disagree on both these points. I am a believer in competitive sports ,as in my experience a lot of children actually develop self esteem through their success at sport. Academically ,they may struggle but once of the field of sport they excel. I agree there are some who may struggle and I feel for them ; but at some point strong and weak have to be separated. I think the point Jess was probably trying to make (did not hear the interview) is don't make them participate in competitive sport too soon so they have time to enjoy it. I believe last year at primary school is a good time to become competitive. I don't disagree with you entirely on this point because I have been saying for a long while, until kids are 11 they should not play competitive football ,the same applies to other sports.

As for Seb I think time will tell. I believe he will be a total success and has the ability (and bought a period of grace) to manage the press , the critical left and all the other finger pointers that will come out from beneath their stones. In my opinion Seb being successful is vital to the sporting framework of the country.Personally, I believe we have the legacy in very safe hands whatever the economics of the situation.

I just find it so odd that the people who make a real contribution to society like teachers, doctors and nurses, scientists and many others have to pay huge amounts of money in tuition fees etc, and then begin their careers ten of thousands of pounds in dept, and yet potential elite athletes receive grants and other freebies through company endorsement's, and if they do reach the top of their chosen path the rewards are far higher.

I suspect it all has a lot to do with the ridiculous celebrity culture we have in this country, and the photo opportunities it gives to our out of touch politicians who want to reflect in other people's glory.

I just find it so odd that the people who make a real contribution to society like teachers, doctors and nurses, scientists and many others have to pay huge amounts of money in tuition fees etc, and then begin their careers ten of thousands of pounds in dept, and yet potential elite athletes receive grants and other freebies through company endorsement's, and if they do reach the top of their chosen path the rewards are far higher.

I suspect it all has a lot to do with the ridiculous celebrity culture we have in this country, and the photo opportunities it gives to our out of touch politicians who want to reflect in other people's glory.

Completely agree there.

I made a comment once, on You Tube, about how we are so obsessed with celebrities and why don't we care more about people like doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen etc.

The response to my comment was quite shocking, but has made me see why there is the obsession:

'You, sir, are an idiot if you cannot see that celebrities bring in more money and business to charities and organisations. Children In Need, Comic Relief, NSPCC and all other major charities depend upon celebrities for their big donations and investments. Without them, charities and businesses would not gain as much clout and would lose out. Do you really want children and poor people to miss out on this money? Unless you are truly heartless, you will say no.

In fact, we need celebrities more than we need ordinary, boring members of the public like you who just don't get it.'

The author of this 'rant' works for The Guardian.

Completely agree there.

I made a comment once, on You Tube, about how we are so obsessed with celebrities and why don't we care more about people like doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen etc.

The response to my comment was quite shocking, but has made me see why there is the obsession:

'You, sir, are an idiot if you cannot see that celebrities bring in more money and business to charities and organisations. Children In Need, Comic Relief, NSPCC and all other major charities depend upon celebrities for their big donations and investments. Without them, charities and businesses would not gain as much clout and would lose out. Do you really want children and poor people to miss out on this money? Unless you are truly heartless, you will say no.

In fact, we need celebrities more than we need ordinary, boring members of the public like you who just don't get it.'

The author of this 'rant' works for The Guardian.

Oh dear, Im a Guardian reader and I would love to know who wrote such drivel.

My own long held belief is that taxpayers should not be asked to subsidise professional sport, and instead we should be financially supporting grass roots and sport development for children and teenagers. In my youth we had youth clubs, which gave us access to all kinds of sports and equipment that was relevant to a healthy lifestyle. We also had park keepers in all our local parks and our parents always knew we would be safe while out playing. I don't think thats the case now.

What do you suppose went on folks immediately after the race on Saturday when Mo appeared to shun the flag his wife wanted him to parade following his 5000m victory, very strange and his wife looks quite miffed in these pictures:

http://www.dailymail...n.html?ITO=1490

I’m quite surprised nobody has touched on this post as yet, for someone who’s husband has just done the 10,000 and 5,000m double, and secured their future financially for life, she doesn’t look particularly happy, you can see that Mo’s wife Tania, who is also his publicist, likes to wear the trousers can't you.

The link is dead for a start.

Rhodes is dead?

You mean it's a ghost posting? :bartshocked:

That's strange as it works for me. I didn't know that seven year old Rihanna is Mo's step-daughter, Tania's child from a previous relationship!:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2187440/Did-Olympic-busybodies-shine-Mo-Farahs-wife-Tanias-celebration.html?ITO=1490

Bit like the poster then

I read that and thought something had happened to him!

You mustn't start lying just to cheer me up.

Mo Farah does outstandingly well for Great Britain, and somebody in the Daily Mail wants to muck-rake.

:mad:

Apologies for getting your hopes up Loose

Forgiven, can't blame you for wishful thinking.

Bit of a non story, looked like Mo and Missus wanted another family photo with a flag she had lettered and a steward was concerned with keeping timings on track. Big Yawn.

Always going to be the odd idiot who wants to spoil a fantastic two weeks trying to big up a non event.

Bit of a non story

Actually I think there is more to it than meets the eye, why would Tania be so upset with Mo particularly after what he had just achieved