Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

Fair point, I'm all for 3g pitches, it its good enough for the Champions League and International football...

With another match having been given a new date, Guernsey now face eight games in sixteen days. Does make you chuckle when someone on here said all this was being done to benefit Guernsey. :)

Guernseys undoubted success could be its downfall.Vase victories(please)from a selfish point of view,but League Cup games must be on the back burner surely,these will only worsen matters.Darryll what is the latest on the pitch,have the people who carried out the Inspection,given any reason why,the pitch floods so easily?

Smudge, I have not seen or heard any updates re the pitch and the verdict of the experts but I guess it is not as yet in the public arena. On 16 January the lads at Ormering who keep their fingers on the pulse wrote the following, -

The Guernsey Press reported a while ago that consultants had been in to review the pitch situation. Fair enough, but the report was delivered weeks ago and this wasn't the first time pitch consultants had been over to advise on Footes Lane. Rather than a piece on a bloke who everyone thinks should do miracles with a fork, the Press should be probing elsewhere, i.e. what's in the report C&L, did you act on advice previously given, did you really forget to ask the contractors to remove the old hard surface 10 years ago... and so on. Hey maybe we're overacting and it's just a good old fashioned Guernsey fudge job (wouldn't want to embarass the great and the good by letting the oiks know they made another cock up eh GP!).

......'a piece on a bloke' refers to a story the Press ran with the headline ''I'm Public Enemy Number 1' and featured Shane Moon the groundsman at Footes Lane.......it was argued that the article could have achieved much more had it been more of an investigative bit of journalism seeking answers as to why the pitch (the weather notwithstanding) has suffered so much as well as details of the experts report .

Thanks for the reply John.

Brings the question,if they have recommended improvements being made.When would they find the time to do them,by my reckoning Guernsey will not finish their Home games till early May.Then I presume the Athletics gets into full swing,till early August.Maybe Guernsey would then have to ask the League they are in,to play all their early fixtures away from Home,a la Molesey.

I don't think we've had that much rain in the last few days, but the water table is still high. This is the current state of the pitch...

2wgzksj.jpg

Edited by HKP

Guernseys undoubted success could be its downfall.Vase victories(please)from a selfish point of view,but League Cup games must be on the back burner surely,these will only worsen matters.Darryll what is the latest on the pitch,have the people who carried out the Inspection,given any reason why,the pitch floods so easily?

Smudge is there an option to withdraw from the Premier Cup? Not saying GFC would do it but just interested.

Smudge is there an option to withdraw from the Premier Cup? Not saying GFC would do it but just interested.

As your unlikely to get a Home draw,it would make economic sense to withdraw.However as Guernsey have a squad of 30 players,it would common sense to me to send a weakened side,for 2 reasons

1. A great experience for fringe Players who have so far not featured.

2. Less chance of Experienced Guernsey players,getting a booking,which could mean they are banned from more important games,later in the season.And of course takes away the chance of them getting injured.The Financial benefit of losing to E&E,Could save them in the region of £3500 more than they could make out of winning the Cup.Personally I would just withdraw and take the Fine,a few teams over the past 3 years have failed to fulfill a fixture,and would of been nowhere in the region been fined £3500,and as no points can be deducted,Guernsey could be quids in.

Just announced.... GFC will play Farnham Town in the CCL if the Vase tie vs Rye United is off. Decision to be made tomorrow. guernseyfc.com for more.

Just announced.... GFC will play Farnham Town in the CCL if the Vase tie vs Rye United is off. Decision to be made tomorrow. guernseyfc.com for more.

That must help !

Yep, at least means they get a game... Well done to Farnham for agreeing at short notice. We were meant to play them on Saturday until our Vase match was called off last week..

This might be far-fetched and mad (okay it is both far fetched and mad) but....

Could a local business (or businesses) sponsor the use pitch-protectors like the one currently up at Oldham Athletic, and allow CCL sides to use them.

I doubt that many (if indeed any) sides in the CCL could afford one outright, but getting a sponsor in could benefit both the company and the club.

Any idea what type of 'local' business would stump up the cash Simpleton? If you hadn't noticed we are in the midst if a recession and therefore funding, of any kind, is very difficult for clubs at this level.....sponsorship ain't what it used to be. Daft idea....but at least you recognised that at the outset!!

Fair do's Chubby, but we need to do something to try and keep the pitches in a playable state.

Otherwise, clubs will be playing until the end of May at this rate.

As your unlikely to get a Home draw,it would make economic sense to withdraw.However as Guernsey have a squad of 30 players,it would common sense to me to send a weakened side,for 2 reasons

1. A great experience for fringe Players who have so far not featured.

2. Less chance of Experienced Guernsey players,getting a booking,which could mean they are banned from more important games,later in the season.And of course takes away the chance of them getting injured.The Financial benefit of losing to E&E,Could save them in the region of £3500 more than they could make out of winning the Cup.Personally I would just withdraw and take the Fine,a few teams over the past 3 years have failed to fulfill a fixture,and would of been nowhere in the region been fined £3500,and as no points can be deducted,Guernsey could be quids in.

What about the 'magic of the Cup' though ? Ronnie Radford, Ian Porterfield, Sutton Utd, Pickles ?

If you're going to do that, please do it before Tuesday :)

Are the prospects for the game going ahead good Fred ? I think we had a new player or two in the squad before the first postponement, and I fancy this time it may be more. There are some real quality young lads over here, and I hope to see some of them, plus a couple of old heads, in our inevitable run of 10 homes games in 12 days towards the end of the season.