Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

It depends what the weather trends are going forward. From what I remember there were few (if any) postponements last season.

So if this winter is a one off then there would be little point in fixing the drainage problem if its an expensive fix. I can't imagine it will be a cheap fix and I can't see the states putting a huge amount of money towards it as money is tight at the moment anyway.

No chance of a 3/4G pitch (as bandied on twitter) due to athletics field events taking place. And that would be too expensive anyway.

As I mentioned before, statistics show that four of the wettest years in recorded history have occured in the last 12 years. Whether you believe in climate change or not, current science suggests we will have more years like this as we go on.

One of the Board members has said in today's local paper that the pitch has only been available once for Football and four times for egg-chasing since the 10th November. He also said that he favours a serious look at a 4g pitch, would need to be 4g for the egg-chasers.

Some sensible info re the water catchment issues. Nice to be able to deal in facts.

For example there were several cricket matches over the road from Footes Lane last April / May which were called off as the grass was dry but the east side of the outfield was actually ankle deep in water. I think there were some specific contributory factors, but it does indicate an underlying issue.

Related to that my understanding is that in an off season there is some kind if second level drainage which could be put in which would help the situation.

Nice to see an honest and open assessment of the Footes Lane problems.I honestly do wish them well,in overcoming their problems,maybe Sunday Home games at Horley,could help.After all Clubs never voted them in for the Free Trip surely?We are a Community League after all,where Clubs dig in to help others.

I've dipped in and out of these thread - but given Guernsey FC's severe 'backlog' of fixtures, I'm surprised to see that they are are not playing midweek, this week, and gain are not playing Midweek in the week commencing Monday 18th February.

There's obviously a reason - anyone know why?

No one for them to play. This week it was just Camberley and Guernsey without games. Guernsey have already played at Camberley.

The other week you mention there's only the choice of Camberley again, Egham (they've got them the following week) and Windsor who they've got on April 1st.

In the past few weeks there have been a few teams re-arranging games at very short notice if a match is postponed but Guernsey can't do that either home or away.

Short of redrawing the whole fixture there's not a lot anyone can do as, if you mess with one team's fixtures it affects another, which in turn affects another etc.

Local BBC report on Footes Lane

Guernsey could install a synthetic pitch at Footes Lane

Guernsey's government is investigating whether to replace the grass pitch at Footes Lane with a synthetic surface.

The stadium's pitch has been largely unplayable for the past two months because of heavy rain, meaning Guernsey FC have played just one home league game since the middle of November.

"We're investigating a 4G synthetic surface," said Culture and Leisure Board member Darren Duquemin.

Football, rugby and athletics are all played at the government-owned ground.

"It's a possibility rather than a probability at his stage, but everything's on the table," added Duquemin to BBC Guernsey.

Footes Lane was rebuilt for the 2003 Island Games and has been the island's main stadium since.

The Culture and Leisure Department Board will meet at Footes Lane on Tuesday to see the damage to the pitch for themselves.

Guernsey FC have not played a home game in any competition since beating Erith and Belvedere 4-0 in the FA Vase back on 9 December.

It has caused a major fixture pile-up and led to concerns that the end-of-season Muratti clash with Jersey could be postponed if Guernsey's best players are still in Combined Counties League action.

Guernsey FC face playing at least 20 games in March and April, with Saturday's postponed game with Chessington and Hook United and the match with Rye United next week, which is off due to the club's FA Vase clash at Spalding United, still to be added to that tally.

"The weather this winter has been exceptional, there have been weekends when Footes Lane has virtually been under water and been a lake really," Duquemin said.

"There's one problem area and that meant the postponement at the weekend and it's that area which needs to be addressed."

But Duquemin, the Guernsey States member for Castel, was quick to praise the ground staff who have been trying to get Footes Lane ready.

"Shane Moon's being doing a brilliant job. Footes Lane for the past 10 years has been a superb surface and a tribute to the efforts of him and the rest of the Culture and Leisure team, but he's been fighting a losing battle this year.

"It has been a freak year and the weather has been exceptional, but there appears to be something working not quite right with the drainage.

"We need to find out exactly what the problem is and fix it in the long term, but in the short term we have to do all we can to ensure we don't have any more postponements as the impact on the football and rugby team is unfortunate."

For us locals, the Muratti is as if not more imporant than the CCL. But all it needs is for the match to be moved, hardly rocket science... The Muratti has been around since 1905 and is the biggest sporting fixture in the calendar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muratti

Obviously as far as the CCL and the FA are concerned it matters very little.

Edited by HKP

After 791 posts,finally a solution has been put Forward.A rather expensive Solution to say the least.The whole Footes Lane surface,needs digging up.However in hard economic times,who is going to pay for the work to be done?The Island C&L through the Taxpayers? William Hill who have taken over Sporting Bet?Hard enough to get a £50 bet on with them,let alone them stumping up £1000's. Not everyone in the Island out of a population of 65,000 is a Guernsey FC FAN,many are/were hostile to the forming of the Club at all.The local Prialux clubs have hardly bent over backwards to help them out,in their time of need.

Then you get to the interesting bit,lets say the Money was found,when could the works be carried out?Both Rugby/Football have a backlog of Fixtures to complete this Season,which will not finish till early May.

However when they finish,the Athletics season starts,will the Javelin,Discus,Shot Putt throwers be happy to throw their implements into a Building Site.Of course not,would you.So unfortunately all concerned with Footes Lane(bar the groundcrew)have Egg on their faces,because they are Damned if they do,damned if they do not,carry the works out.Best of Luck to GUERNSEY FC.this coming Saturday at Spalding,purely for my own personal gain.I LOVE GUERNSEY!!!!

It would be down to C&L to fund any work out of their budget. I guess timing would need to be discussed between the various parties.

I do like the idea of a 4g pitch though, has so many pluses for the whole of the island. The facility could be used 7 days and evenings a week, by clubs and schools.

Edited by HKP

For us locals, the Muratti is as if not more imporant than the CCL. But all it needs is for the match to be moved, hardly rocket science... The Muratti has been around since 1905 and is the biggest sporting fixture in the calendar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muratti

Obviously as far as the CCL and the FA are concerned it matters very little.

Just goes to show the Love shown between the Toads,Donkeys,F.A's for not coming to an amicable solution over moving the Muratti.After all you would think it is a Life or Death game.

I totally agree, whether some like it or not the Muratti will need to be moved. Sadly some seem to want to force the players into choosing between the Muratti a CCL game or hopefuly the Vase final, or just as bad ask them to play three matches in three days. It is down to the Alderney FA, Guernsey FA and Jersey FA to move their match, there was already an agreement in place to move the Muratti if GFC reached the Vase final. Even th Jersey coach is happy for it to be moved as he wants to play the full Guernsey team. When even a Craupaud can see sense you have to wonder about the sanity of some!

I totally agree, whether some like it or not the Muratti will need to be moved. Sadly some seem to want to force the players into choosing between the Muratti a CCL game or hopefuly the Vase final, or just as bad ask them to play three matches in three days. It is down to the Alderney FA, Guernsey FA and Jersey FA to move their match, there was already an agreement in place to move the Muratti if GFC reached the Vase final. Even th Jersey coach is happy for it to be moved as he wants to play the full Guernsey team. When even a Craupaud can see sense you have to wonder about the sanity of some!

Yeah,read Sam Cochranes post on the Guernsey Press comments page,a very intelligent response.However Guernsey FC Players will get slated by non Guernsey FC Fans,if they choose them over the National Side.Hardly fair after 9 months graft and hard work.

Yep, hes a good lad who clearly just wants the best for his island. Sadly, some still can't accept GFC is here to stay. We all need to work together for the good of Guernsey football at all levels.

It would be down to C&L to fund any work out of their budget. I guess timing would need to be discussed between the various parties.

I do like the idea of a 4g pitch though, has so many pluses for the whole of the island. The facility could be used 7 days and evenings a week, by clubs and schools.

I would be amazed if we get a 4G pitch, reasons being:

Cost. Not exactly huge amounts of spare cash floating about at the moment unless a big sponsor can be found. Any figures you can probably find you will have to add 20% for the usual guernsey premium!

Recouping outlay: hiring it out will be expensive and not many clubs/sports will be able to afford it. The astro at st Sampson's is expensive enough to put a lot of clubs off using it so this would be even more than that. All well and good letting schools use it but they won't be paying for the use if they have their own facilities.

Fa cup: I believe fa cup matches have to be played on grass? I recall reading that somewhere on another forum. So 4G = no fa cup.

Athletics: it's an athletics track first and foremost so having 4G means no field events.

In a perfect world: yes. In this world: can't see it happening.

I'm not a fan of 3G or 4G at all. Joint injuries are supposed to be more common on those surfaces. Drainage is what is needed, and maybe some sort of undersoil heating. Obviously that will cost a fortune so might have to do with sorting the drainage for now.

We might have to end up having home matches on the mainland this season, but I hope not