Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

Can someone please confirm, had Guernsey FC arrived at Eghams ground BEFORE the game was postponed, by it seems the match referee ? If so, did any of the Guernsey players/,management check out the pitch. Agreed the torrential rain came unnoticed without any pre-warning as far as I know during the early hours of Saturday morning, this is the only/main reason we were all surprised this morning when games were gradually being called off.

I thought I had already said... GFC were around 15 to 20 mins from the Ground when they received a phone call to say the match had been postponed by the referee.

I had not seen any reports that it had rained in the couple of hours prior to kick-off, overnight yes. Supporters of GFC and Egham officials that did see the ground were very surprised the match was called off. As far as I know no GFC official saw the ground.

Surprised the referee did not say to Egham try and get the areas of concern improved and I will take another look in an hour.

I am not asking for any different rules for GFC, just a bit of common sense. If after an hour or so the pitch was still (in the referee's eyes) still not playable then at least he would have given it a chance. If he feels its dangerous then of course he has to call the game off.

It would be the same of any team had travelled a long distance.

Edited by HKP

At some point you may want to remove those blinkers HKP. I'm sure the referee would have thought about that before making such an important decision. If it saved one of your players another long term injury then I'm sure you'll be pleased he called it off!! Can you imagine the furerour if Ross Allen suffered a broken his leg on an unsafe pitch......

Edited by Chubby Brown

All I was saying is he could have given it a bit more time to see if the conditions were safe. Surely that is reasonable?

How would that work for home matches? They need to play in the island to help fund the whole project.

HKP - there's some nonsensical stuff on here from people trying to get a rise, as well as some really valid arguments.

Don't rise to the bait pal. Any plea for common sense is going to be met by some of the forumites quoting "don't expect any special treatment".

Carry on regardless, as the players are clearly doing!

What do you mean?

Well for a start I have no doubt my club would have some difficulty in getting enough senior players to Guernsey for a mid week match, and the travelling costs alone could put the clubs fragile future in jeopardy. If we failed to fulfill the fixture because of genuine financial reasons we would probably be expelled from the league.

I suppose though that nothing else matters as long as Guernsey FC prosper, and the UK tax dodgers can see the occasional match on your lovely island.

You was voted in and these things happen and will happen again

What on earth do my comments have to do with GFC being voted in? All I am saying is that I personally spent an awful lot of money travelling for a game that if was in any doubt whatsoever the day before should have been called off then. Some have said that the deluge of rain that happened in the morning was not expected but I made it to the ground and there was nothing wrong with the pitch, I wish now that I had taken photographs.

With all due respect, this sort of thing happens quite a bit. Plenty of teams go to games for them to be called. Don't believe you should be treated any different.

I didnt say we should be treated any different but I would have hoped that a sensible approach to these situations would be adopted rather than your tough sh*t attitude

Well for a start I have no doubt my club would have some difficulty in getting enough senior players to Guernsey for a mid week match, and the travelling costs alone could put the clubs fragile future in jeopardy. If we failed to fulfill the fixture because of genuine financial reasons we would probably be expelled from the league.

I suppose though that nothing else matters as long as Guernsey FC prosper, and the UK tax dodgers can see the occasional match on your lovely island.

Please keep up, it doesnt cost you anything to visit Guernsey to play your games and keep your derogatory remarks on Guernsey to yourself

Edited by Guernsey Guru

HKP - there's some nonsensical stuff on here from people trying to get a rise, as well as some really valid arguments.

Don't rise to the bait pal. Any plea for common sense is going to be met by some of the forumites quoting "don't expect any special treatment".

Carry on regardless, as the players are clearly doing!

You are right NCEL fan, its just not worth it

Well for a start I have no doubt my club would have some difficulty in getting enough senior players to Guernsey for a mid week match,

What midweek match? Would your club be able to make a mid-week Vase/FA Cup replay up North?

Edited by HKP

Egham v Guernsey game will now be played on Tuesday 26 February at 7.45pm

Think Egham will be well happy with that !!! Guernsey having to make a midweek trip on which could be an even more important game than Saturday. By this time (FEB), the top of the league league will become more clearer........Eghams pitch looked alright to me ;)

I thought I had already said... GFC were around 15 to 20 mins from the Ground when they received a phone call to say the match had been postponed by the referee.

I had not seen any reports that it had rained in the couple of hours prior to kick-off, overnight yes. Supporters of GFC and Egham officials that did see the ground were very surprised the match was called off. As far as I know no GFC official saw the ground.

Surprised the referee did not say to Egham try and get the areas of concern improved and I will take another look in an hour.

I am not asking for any different rules for GFC, just a bit of common sense. If after an hour or so the pitch was still (in the referee's eyes) still not playable then at least he would have given it a chance. If he feels its dangerous then of course he has to call the game off.

It would be the same of any team had travelled a long distance.

The one photo I have seen of Eghams pitch on Saturday it looked fine, but looking fine can be deceiving as it may be boggy in areas further away from where the photo was taken, so really you cannot judge just by photo evidence alone, you really do need to walk on pitches....

Thanks HKP for verifying that....

What on earth do my comments have to do with GFC being voted in? All I am saying is that I personally spent an awful lot of money travelling for a game that if was in any doubt whatsoever the day before should have been called off then. Some have said that the deluge of rain that happened in the morning was not expected but I made it to the ground and there was nothing wrong with the pitch, I wish now that I had taken photographs.

Artificial pitches here we come

In a perfect World, thats all well and good Footy, but what non-league club (even lower pro club/s) can afford to pay for it from the outset ? Perhaps the FA and the Government can oblige.............yeah right ;) !

Its grass and mud for many-a-year to come I'm afraid...... but we live in hope.

I am all for 3g pitches, but it is madness that the Blue Square, the FA Cup (from 1st round on), Football league will not allow them but they are fine for Champions League and Internationals!