Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

Although I haven't been up to Chipstead for a few days, it's clear that the snow will melt in the next day or so.

This leaves the risk of flooding, but High Road is really good for drainage. Chipstead played on Boxing Day and on 29th December when almost everyone else was off.

So, yes, I think it will be playable this Tuesday, unless we get a change in the forecast, but I'm hearing that the warm air is already in the west so must surely be coming.

You might have a wet and windy flight though!

As your unlikely to get a Home draw,it would make economic sense to withdraw.However as Guernsey have a squad of 30 players,it would common sense to me to send a weakened side,for 2 reasons

1. A great experience for fringe Players who have so far not featured.

2. Less chance of Experienced Guernsey players,getting a booking,which could mean they are banned from more important games,later in the season.And of course takes away the chance of them getting injured.The Financial benefit of losing to E&E,Could save them in the region of £3500 more than they could make out of winning the Cup.Personally I would just withdraw and take the Fine,a few teams over the past 3 years have failed to fulfill a fixture,and would of been nowhere in the region been fined £3500,and as no points can be deducted,Guernsey could be quids in.

Or GFC might see this game as a chance to actually give the players some game time....

Possibly, although your game tomorrow against Rye or Farnham will probably do that.

Interesting point raised about avoiding suspensions, but I suppose it mostly depends on whether you have players on the verge of a suspension.

Either way, i'm sure we'll give you a good game this week.

Latest on the Footes Lane pitch is that tomorrow's rugby fixture, Guernsey v Tonbridge has been called off due to an unplayable pitch........

Never!!!!!! what a shock.Fussy lot them Egg Chasers,does that mean they will have to play on a Saturday,between the Friay/Sunday footie fixtures?

Dig it Up,your the new Chessington of the CCL,HKP posted a pic the other day,the pitch looked fine.

Never!!!!!! what a shock.Fussy lot them Egg Chasers,does that mean they will have to play on a Saturday,between the Friay/Sunday footie fixtures?

Dig it Up,your the new Chessington of the CCL,HKP posted a pic the other day,the pitch looked fine.

Smudge, I saw the still that HKP posted the other day and I guess the phrase 'the camera never lies' is not quite so accurate in this case.

The patch to the left of the half way line has been a particualr problem area for getting on for a 12 month now and was a major problem at the time when the one game to be lost last season fell foul to the conditions. On the day though that was just one area of the pitch that would have been problematical.......there were other areas where the water was on or close to the surface.

We have had soem decent drying weather over the past five days, though as I type this it is raining heavily.

Maybe the groundsman anticipated problems tomorrow and to save the visiting rugby team a wasted journey the game was called off early.

Not sure what the fixtures for the egg chasers are but I assume they have the ability to switch any subsequent fixtures to one of the school pitches (as they did a fortnight ago).

As for Friday/Sunday football with rugby on the saturday that is going to happen.

There will be Friday GFC games at Footes Lane, the rugby on the Saturday and another CCL game Sunday.

Surely the prudent GFC man would have somewhere like the Track in reserve for the Sunday as a contingency.

All the above is guess work on my behalf but maybe close to the truth.....

As the boys from Ormering suggested earlier in the week, there appears to be some movement from local government to get the drainage fixed but of course that won't be before the end of the season...

...and that is always on the basis that the politicians are willing to spend money on sport and not on education, health etc etc

This issue of Footes Lane needs to be resolved, but it will not be resolved overnight and certainly not cheaply and is bound to cause plenty of reaction from those who do not buy into GFC

The situation is becoming more of a farce each week. Anyone with an ounce of brain knows that there is a serious problem with Footes Lane and what are the owners of the ground doing about it? It would seem nothing apart from waiting for it to dry out. Not the fault of Guernsey FC but the C&L department really need to give the groundsman a hand and get rid of the surface water.

I am told that next Saturday is almost certain to be off at Footes Lane and it could be a couple of weeks or more likely more before its playable again. Only other pitch that could be available is The Track but the home club have their backlog of fictures to get through and these rightly take priority.

Edited by Jade

With little help coming from other local Guernsey Clubs,as regards Guernsey FC using their facilities.Maybe it is time the League advised them that if Footes Lane is unplayable,that they should play their Home Games away at their opponents Ground.Maybe Horley could step into the breach and offer their facilities,if at all possible.Guernsey folk are getting a bit sick and tired that Guernsey FC are getting so much publicity in the press,even when they do not play.Is the dream coming to an end, one has to ask oneself.Nero Zimmerman played for Guernsey FC last Tuesday,and for Vale Rec(prialux) at the weekend.Footes Lane must have serious problems,about time someone came clean.l

Guernsey Deputy Darren Duquemin and season ticket holder i think, tweeted today

To answer tweets about Footes Lane pitch... I'm already on the case and will push Culture +Leisure board this week towards short and long term solutions!

So the local politicians are asking the same questions, of the Government Department in charge of the pitch, hopefuly we will get an answer.

this was also posted on the lions roar forum by SteveSpikey

I don't think the problem is so much the pitch surface - the main problem is the location of the ground itself. Footes Lane is located at the first bit of flat land to the north of Guernsey's central plateau which extends almost the whole way across the Island from, more or less where Beau Sejour is, to the Western escarpment just in land from Vazon. The plateau peaks at about 85 metres, but is generally between 65 - 75 metres. The plateau is actually slightly 'V' shaped, and unfortunately Footes Lane is located in the bottom of that 'V'.

All of the rain water that collects in the central part of the plateau and eventually runs north flows down a number of natural streams, and man made water catchments, around the Footes Lane area. Effectively it is the bottom of bowl.

When the ground becomes saturated there is nowhere for it to go - and as Footes Lane is so low lying the area does not drain very well. No amount of men with forks, water hogs etc etc will clear the water once the ground is saturated.

Until the ground has drained itself the only solution is to use another venue.

Nero Zimmerman played for Guernsey FC last Tuesday,and for Vale Rec(prialux) at the weekend.Footes Lane must have serious problems,about time someone came clean.l

How is this relevant?

Just a question - In previous seasons before joining the CCL were you not aware of the problems Footes Lane faced

It is only since for formaiton of GFC that football matches have been played there on a regular basis. Yes the Muratti was played there for a few years as well as the odd cup final and the odd representative game. Plus, this is the wettest winter I can remember and we (like everywhere else) also had a very wet summer.

It depends what the weather trends are going forward. From what I remember there were few (if any) postponements last season.

So if this winter is a one off then there would be little point in fixing the drainage problem if its an expensive fix. I can't imagine it will be a cheap fix and I can't see the states putting a huge amount of money towards it as money is tight at the moment anyway.

No chance of a 3/4G pitch (as bandied on twitter) due to athletics field events taking place. And that would be too expensive anyway.

Are we going to ask Chessington and Epsom Athletic to play their home games away as well?

For what it's worth, I believe yes they should.

There have been days this season when all games have been off. However, there have also been many occasions when lots of clubs have played, while two or three others have not. I was intrigued to see Raynes Park's plans for what they will do with their grant money didn't appear to mention anything about the pitch, and to be honest, why should they, as they could only be relegated if their ground is not up to standard. The bit in the middle doesn't seem to be part of the deal when it comse to ground gradings and that is just plain wrong. The surface is a leser priority across the board. Only when the authorities actually start including the surface in their deliberations will certain clubs spend money on the situation.

Don't get me wrong I still want to travel to Guernsey this season. However, if people are going to suggest that they should move their games elsewhere, then the same applies for certain teams on the mainland too.

There is a C&L (who manage the ground) today and part of the meeting will take place at Footes Lane so hopefully they will get things rolling.