Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

The 3g pitches view will change HKP and I believe that by the time you get to that level it won't be an issue.

Miisunderstood. Don't bother. You're two weeks too late and we've already discussed your argument. Frequently.

I am a bit confused here though. We have one person from Guernsey moaning that the game should have been called off on Friday, and another saying the pitch looked fine. In other words, one says it should have been played, while the other says you shouldn't have even bothered trying.

If you want to get your games played this season you will have to take a chance from time to time, and that means travelling over on a day when limited rain was forecast, otherwise you'll never finish the season. We've all had games called off at short notice and there have also been many where it looked like it would be off but they were played in the end. You can't make game decisions that early unless the forecast is minus six and it's already below freezing.

As for whether the pitch was playable, that's a different issue and I'm getting a bit fed up with the number of postponements just for a bit of rain and an occasional puddle. It's a winter sport, officials, let them play. Elf and safety is getting beyond a joke. Who was the official, by the way?

Badshot Lea's pitch was perfect and many other clubs managed to play too. Egham's pitch is certainly better than some others, and even Dorking's pitch was playable so I very much doubt that it was dangerous at Egham or that the ball wouldn't roll, like we all saw with the England match in Poland. Now THAT was a downpour. This was just a heavy shower and we have to remember that you are allowed to get wet out there!

I agree with other posters that it has to be down to the referee, you can't let the club's coaches involved. On this occasion I am surprised that he did not give the pitch time to dry out. At least say, itf it does not improve a fair bit then I have no option but to call the game off. To be fair to the officals, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Just seems a little bit of commonsense was needed here.... The home club (who saw the pitch), thought it was quite playable. Most clubs are usually very protective if their pitches.

The 3g pitches view will change HKP and I believe that by the time you get to that level it won't be an issue.

Miisunderstood. Don't bother. You're two weeks too late and we've already discussed your argument. Frequently.

I am a bit confused here though. We have one person from Guernsey moaning that the game should have been called off on Friday, and another saying the pitch looked fine. In other words, one says it should have been played, while the other says you shouldn't have even bothered trying.

If you want to get your games played this season you will have to take a chance from time to time, and that means travelling over on a day when limited rain was forecast, otherwise you'll never finish the season. We've all had games called off at short notice and there have also been many where it looked like it would be off but they were played in the end. You can't make game decisions that early unless the forecast is minus six and it's already below freezing.

As for whether the pitch was playable, that's a different issue and I'm getting a bit fed up with the number of postponements just for a bit of rain and an occasional puddle. It's a winter sport, officials, let them play. Elf and safety is getting beyond a joke. Who was the official, by the way?

Badshot Lea's pitch was perfect and many other clubs managed to play too. Egham's pitch is certainly better than some others, and even Dorking's pitch was playable so I very much doubt that it was dangerous at Egham or that the ball wouldn't roll, like we all saw with the England match in Poland. Now THAT was a downpour. This was just a heavy shower and we have to remember that you are allowed to get wet out there!

You are not listening, what I am saying is call the game off if you want too but give everyone plenty of notice (ie the day before or very early on the actual day). If there is any gamble at all that the game is not going to happen then call it off before everyone travels. Because what is double disappointing is to travel that far, as I always do, get the game called off so close to the kick off (I was at the ground when it got called off) and for it to be called off on a totally playable surface. Everyone that I spoke too was astounded and if there was any surface water on the pitch I certainly couldnt see it. If there was it would have surely taken someone five minutes to mop up a couple of patches (if they were there as I could not see any) and there was never an issue of the ball not being able to roll. This game should have been played period. If that pitch is not playable then we will never get this season finished because we need perfect sunshine to ensure that the pitches are bone dry. I am not asking for special treatment here I just want us to play our games and get this god forsaken season out of the way

If they start calling games off earlier then there will be even more postponements than there are at the moment. And if it improved unexpectedly then you would probably moan that it had been called off too early without giving it a chance.

And just because the ball rolls across the pitch it doesn't mean that it is a safe surface to play on.

Ultimately the officials are damned if they do/don't and its just unfortunate it's cost us £4,500 when it does happen.

If they start calling games off earlier then there will be even more postponements than there are at the moment. And if it improved unexpectedly then you would probably moan that it had been called off too early without giving it a chance.

And just because the ball rolls across the pitch it doesn't mean that it is a safe surface to play on.

Ultimately the officials are damned if they do/don't and its just unfortunate it's cost us £4,500 when it does happen.

That is our unfortunate situation. To try to get games played there may be future close calls. I feel a great deal of sympathy for any fans who paid out to travel, but its going to be a risk we face I'm afraid.

Well for a start I have no doubt my club would have some difficulty in getting enough senior players to Guernsey for a mid week match, and the travelling costs alone could put the clubs fragile future in jeopardy. If we failed to fulfill the fixture because of genuine financial reasons we would probably be expelled from the league.

I suppose though that nothing else matters as long as Guernsey FC prosper, and the UK tax dodgers can see the occasional match on your lovely island.

Is this a wind-up?

There is no solution to suit everyone. I am sure the management of most teams affected voted to admit Guernsey to the CCFL and therefore have themselves to blame.

So with regard to next year will things change?

Will Guernsey be admitted at a higher level?

Are the CCFL stuck with Guernsey or can they be discarded by CFL teams?

Will Guernsey be admitted at a higher level?

I wasn't aware that teams eligible for Promotion had to apply for election into Leagues? I understood the FA put them where they saw fit?

Edited by HKP

I was convinced the Egham v Guernsey match would be played. The ref called it off and the Egham fans were left scratching their heads in bewilderment. If anything could of been done we would (as fans) volunteered to do whatever work was needed to get the game on. A real shame Guernsey and their fans had a wasted journey. Somethings are just inevitable I suppose.

Thanks UK Sub, great to see such a positive attitude. We have done the same here when its been wet, some of the players have turned up to help fork the pitch. Why the referee could not have at least try to get the problem areas sorted is beyond me.

Unless there were any short notice changes, the officials for the Egham game were 12, 207 and 335. I don't have a handbook near me but I'm sure someone does. In the interests of balance it would be really interesting to hear their views as to why it was so "dangerous" as to prevent this game going ahead.

Unless there were any short notice changes, the officials for the Egham game were 12, 207 and 335. I don't have a handbook near me but I'm sure someone does. In the interests of balance it would be really interesting to hear their views as to why it was so "dangerous" as to prevent this game going ahead.

12 = Andrew Connor. Very good ref in our cup tie v South Park. Assts were Stephen Barry and Terry Pusey from Middx.

That's ok, no rain between now and then if it stays that cold I would imagine.

As long as it has been rolled, which for one of their biggest ever matches you would think they might have done, then you never know.

I understand your paranoia after Egham and it would be rotten luck for the same thing to happen twice, but be positive :)