Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

I was convinced the Egham v Guernsey match would be played. The ref called it off and the Egham fans were left scratching their heads in bewilderment. If anything could of been done we would (as fans) volunteered to do whatever work was needed to get the game on. A real shame Guernsey and their fans had a wasted journey. Somethings are just inevitable I suppose.

Cheers mate, thanks for your concern

12 = Andrew Connor. Very good ref in our cup tie v South Park. Assts were Stephen Barry and Terry Pusey from Middx.

I am told the scheduled referee was changed on Friday. No idea who the stand in ref was tho but even then I dont like blaming referees as they get enogh stick as it is. No game tonight for Egham either....Im getting the shakes...need my football fix.

It's unfortunate it was called off. Everyone seems to be saying that there were no puddles therefore it was playable. Which suggests they might not understand what constitutes dangerous.

Had the game been played and someone got injured after slipping or being out of control in a slide tackle the referee would have been hammered for it.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Guernsey today plus 5 degrees clear skys light wind perfect for drying the footes lane pitch

same forcast for the next couple of days

no egg chasers this weekend

trouble is we will be away to a lumpy frozen pitch at Rye United and no doubt another cancellation.

Common sense is alive and kicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Catcher in the Rye

Rye Forum

I see Guernsey are getting a lot of stick from the Combined Counties posters about the state of their ground and also having to share with the rugby club,yes our ground and pitch is crap,but that is up to the council to put right who hire us the ground,but you will always get the sour faced losers like Horley Town who we beat far and square in an earlier round in the Vase whingeing about us.My suggestion if there is problems due to the weather this end and Guernsys pitch was playable on the day,switch it to their ground providing they made it worthwhile for us they will not like coming to us on a tuesday and browsing their forum they seem a good bunch of supporters,just like ourselves.

Then we could get to see a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Common sense is alive and kicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Catcher in the Rye

Rye Forum

I see Guernsey are getting a lot of stick from the Combined Counties posters about the state of their ground and also having to share with the rugby club,yes our ground and pitch is crap,but that is up to the council to put right who hire us the ground,but you will always get the sour faced losers like Horley Town who we beat far and square in an earlier round in the Vase whingeing about us.My suggestion if there is problems due to the weather this end and Guernsys pitch was playable on the day,switch it to their ground providing they made it worthwhile for us they will not like coming to us on a tuesday and browsing their forum they seem a good bunch of supporters,just like ourselves.

Then we could get to see a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An interesting 'quote' from the Rye Forum.

I await the Guernsey supporters comments with bated breath !. (And Horleys, come to that !)

I previously saw posted it was because of players contracts coming to the end by then?

Not that there would be many contracted players in the CCL I would guess but the expiry of a contract on the first Saturday in May just means the player can go on to a weekly contract if the club hasn't finished it's fixtures by then. I think [but may be wrong] that the shutoff date is May 31st for all league football. In the old days the shutoff was the FA Cup Final but money put paid to that as Sky dictated when it wanted games to be played/shown !

The downside of extending the season is that it applies to the whole league and any club who has fulfilled its fixtures on time then has to continue paying its' contract players until all clubs have finished playing which is why Chairmen generally vote against extending the season !

Aha, thanks for the explanation and perhaps I better understand the dislike of GFC by some! :)

Not that there would be many contracted players in the CCL I would guess but the expiry of a contract on the first Saturday in May just means the player can go on to a weekly contract if the club hasn't finished it's fixtures by then. I think [but may be wrong] that the shutoff date is May 31st for all league football. In the old days the shutoff was the FA Cup Final but money put paid to that as Sky dictated when it wanted games to be played/shown !

The downside of extending the season is that it applies to the whole league and any club who has fulfilled its fixtures on time then has to continue paying its' contract players until all clubs have finished playing which is why Chairmen generally vote against extending the season !

GFC dont have that downside as they dont pay their players. Your point does kind of needle me as we regularly hear from people on this forum with regard to the lack of funding that clubs have at this level and others continually trying to get GFC to pay for this or that for them on top of what they already provide (ie a free trip to Guernsey). Paying players when a ground is run down or the floodlights dont work or whenever a club is struggling with any kind of funding is wrong and crass to me. Any kind of payment to players at this level seems over the top, the standard is just not worthy of paying when these funds could be put to better use creating stronger foundations at individual clubs and supporting the volunteers who I would expect manage and do all of the administration for nothing other than their love of their club and their sport. I would have hoped that most players would have refused payment in these circumstances and I am sure there must be some who do, hopefully.

What a lovely idea GG!

However, back in the real world, it doesn't happen.

You might be able to get away with it on the island, but over here there is massive competition for players. You hear scary stories about budgets from time to time on this forum, and if you didn't have a budget of some kind, you'd never get anyone from a higher level to drop down or attract the better players at this level in most cases.

Are you also talking about non-payment of Step Four or maybe even higher, in which case you need to learn a simple rule of economics. It's called demand and supply. Of course pro footballers earn far more than any person should, but if you want the best in the entertainment industry then that is the going rate and the same applies to pop stars and actors etc. That theory filters down further and further these days.

And don't think it hasn't been happening for years because it has and I have stories from speaking to former players at this level back in the fifties, one I heard recently involving a very large cheque and a deposit loaned on a house! That's part of why the amateur status was dropped way back in the early seventies. Incentives, whether regular or bonus structured are part and parcel of this game even at this level.

Can I also point out that while I defend Guernsey a lot here on these forums, please don't make out that this "free trip" to Guernsey is done out of the kindness of your hearts. It is a league condition. You wouldn't have been voted into the league otherwise.

GFC dont have that downside as they dont pay their players. Your point does kind of needle me as we regularly hear from people on this forum with regard to the lack of funding that clubs have at this level and others continually trying to get GFC to pay for this or that for them on top of what they already provide (ie a free trip to Guernsey). Paying players when a ground is run down or the floodlights dont work or whenever a club is struggling with any kind of funding is wrong and crass to me. Any kind of payment to players at this level seems over the top, the standard is just not worthy of paying when these funds could be put to better use creating stronger foundations at individual clubs and supporting the volunteers who I would expect manage and do all of the administration for nothing other than their love of their club and their sport. I would have hoped that most players would have refused payment in these circumstances and I am sure there must be some who do, hopefully.

Like it GG you should have spoken to Windsor before the start of last season ..... LOL ;) !!!

Nice idea GG but never going to work, you can't not pay players at Step 5 and then suddenly start paying them at Step 4 for instance. Higher you go the more you get paid*.

* With the exception of GFC who are the true amateur's.

Like it GG you should have spoken to Windsor before the start of last season ..... LOL ;) !!!

Just the CAPS LOCK to go BG and you will be fully reincarnated as NICE GUY (who coincidentally hasn't visited this forum since 6th October - a few hours before you joined). You must have scared him off, but he will be proud that you've resurrected his Windsor "£65k" budget slur

Knowing our luck, it'd snow in July Newby!

I think it snowed in July 2007....

solution.................make football a summer sport with a months summer break so we can all feck off on holiday!!!

I thought exactly the same thing this morning !

Problem is, in lower Leagues, soome footy clubs have to 'share' with cricket teams !