Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fa cup

72wemblyfinal

You can't ask for more than a home tie in the Emirates FA Cup, and everyone can look forward to another cracking match when we host Vanarama National League South side Braintree Town at the QEII Stadium on Saturday September 21, 3.00pm, for this 2nd Qualifying Round encounter.

A bit about our opponents, who we have played on a number of occasions in the past. The Iron are currently standing 8th in the Table, after 10 league matches, with 5 wins, 1 draw, and 4 defeats. They have lost away to Bath City (0-2), Dartford (1-2), Chippenham Town (1-2), and drawn at Concord Rangers (2-2). This Saturday (Sept 14), a week before they come to us, they are away to Havant & Waterlooville.

These days, as everyone well knows, there are no easy games in the FA Cup, and our guys will certainly need to be up for this one, if we are to progress, and make home advantage tell on the day. It will certainly be a tough match for both sides, in front of decent size crowd.  But upsets happen every year in this competition ……. so who knows, this might just be another waiting one to happen !!  COYT

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from a few days in France and Belgium, and am really looking forward to travelling up to the QEII Stadium tomorrow, to support our guys in the FA CUP against Braintree. Both sides are playing well, producing some good performances and results, so it is going to be a very close game, too close to call.

This is the FA CUP, it is a very important match for our Club financially, and we need everyone there tomorrow, getting behind The Town, making plenty of noise from start to finish, encouraging our guys to play out of their skin, and get us through to the next round.

Definitely not one to miss. Let's all be there, and let's hear it for Andy and our team. 'COME ON THE TOWN'.

Fantastic performance yesterday - sore throat from the constant singing (and boo ing their no 5!) and tired hands from the clapping! When was the last time we beat a team at a higher level? This game will go down in the memory alongside Tonbridge Away last year and the Grays Semi.

Few line up surprises .. Taafe not in the squad (not aware of an injury?) and then Billy getting injured in the warm up. Junior and Nathan must have expected to get the nod ahead of Charles, but he had a very solid game.

Strong performances all over the pitch - but Mo lead the line brilliantly - and ran from start to finish on a hot day. Ryan was a real driving force in midfield and it was a great run and through ball for both goals. Sam Youngs was all over the place and had some great touches too.

We had some nice passing moves and it felt like the team spirit really is there.

To beat a team in the level above who are almost in the play offs is a great result. Yes they were poor but I think we battled and did not let them play.

I have previously criticised sub timings but thought Andy got it spot on - giving Junior enough time to make an impact, and freshen things up when we were under pressure, and then bringing Nathan on towards the end - to see things out in the middle (fair play to his patience this season being mainly a sub).

Defence all  played well together - led ably by Wethers!!

If I had to pick areas for improvement, feels like the squad is lacking in depth - a couple of injuries and we could be in trouble. And we did panic for a while in the 2nd half when we should have tried to keep the ball more. Overall though a memorable day, much needed funds for the club. Any casual fan who turned up yesterday would surely have loved the whole matchday experience and come back for more. Special mention to the Ultras - their unwavering support is fantastic - was really proud to be a Towner yesterday!

So looking ahead to the draw, would like either lowest ranked team at home, or would love to get Ricay and turn them over!

@Raingod

Very well summed up.

LT has an injury not sure how bad.

We have signed a new central defender but his international clearance papers have not yet been approved by the FA.

Your comment about squad depth although true do not really concern me,as Andy is using players from u23s and u18s as cover,we have some very tidy players in both squads,and I feel this is the only way for our club to grow in a sustainable way given our limited budget.

I hear Wilson has also been released.

Yes the Ultras were superb  

Looking forward to the draw live on Talksport tomorrow at 12.30 ish.

COYT

2 hours ago, 72wemblyfinal said:

@Raingod

Very well summed up.

LT has an injury not sure how bad.

We have signed a new central defender but his international clearance papers have not yet been approved by the FA.

Your comment about squad depth although true do not really concern me,as Andy is using players from u23s and u18s as cover,we have some very tidy players in both squads,and I feel this is the only way for our club to grow in a sustainable way given our limited budget.

I hear Wilson has also been released.

Yes the Ultras were superb  

Looking forward to the draw live on Talksport tomorrow at 12.30 ish.

COYT

Shocked about Wilson as his celebration at mo's second and at the final whistle in the tunnel made me think he was with us for the near future.

But I guess it looks like he is a bit injury prone to be fair.

Wow! What a great day for the Town yesterday. They needed to play well to win against their National League South opponents Braintree, and our guys played supremely well, delivering one of their finest performances of the season in front of their own supporters.

This thrilling win was a day to cherish and remember for the Town faithful, who admirably got behind our team from start to finish, and were rewarded with a well deserved FA Cup triumph, which produced more much needed finance for our Club.

Early days, but Andy and the Boys are producing some impressive results, in both the IPL and FA Cup, having been beaten only once in all competitions. Keep it guys we are all behind you.

Well done everyone. 'UP THE TOWN'