Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Harefield United....

Please don't start me off or are you doing it purposely, Firstly Bobby Moore's arrest and jailing in Colombia for allegedly stealing a bracelet, the group stages, Guadalajara, England's matches with Romania, Czechoslovakia and the match of all time in my book against Brazil which only seems like yesterday, Bobby Moore's performance and 'that tackle', Banks save, 'Jair's' goal, Moore and Pele embracing and exchanging shirts at the end and, best of all, David Coleman's commentary. Then there was Brazil's 4-1 masterclass over the Czech's, Jairzinho's solo goal, Pele 'doing a Beckham' and just missing and his dummy. That was only the tip of the iceberg of what was to come later in the competition.

neither beat 1982 in my books people.

The Samba football from a great Brazil side..........Falcao's strike.....Gerry Armstrong v Spain.....Bryan Robsons goal after 31 seconds....Algeria beating the Germans....The Jocks having the temerity to go 1 up v Brazil......and Maradona being kicked out of the game by the Italians.

apparently the great Gentile fouled Diego a world record 23 times in that match. He'd have been sent off 10 times in todays football I reckon... wink

Originally Posted By: samuelsmiles
Originally Posted By: The Doog is King
was it a decent game sam? deserved defeat?
no alarm bells ringing i hope...

No....I blame the referee, the assistant referees, Hertford and Rhodes. mad

Interesting game. Hertford came prepared to attack and to give Harefield a lot of posession. They did little with it in the first half and Hertford had the best chances.

Harefield looked more potent in what was a better second half and myself and MB thought they should have got more out of the game. They certainly would have won if Drake had scored when he rounded the keeper then saw his placed shot cleared off the line. Credit to Hertford though for a spirited performance throughout and taking the the chances that came their way.

Oh as for top world cup well I have to say 1974 apart from the cheating West Germans conning their way past us in the 'semi' then psyching the Dutch out with the fabricated "women in the tub" story.

78 was special and imo the last great world cup...the atmosphere in BA was nothing short of electric and the hairs on the back of my head stood up as the teams entered that great stadium to the ticker tape welcome...kampes was pure genius in a magnificent game....

but most certainly rhodsey was responsible for hollands defeat that night...grin

Originally Posted By: Lato

Oh as for top world cup well I have to say 1974 apart from the cheating West Germans conning their way past us in the 'semi' then psyching the Dutch out with the fabricated "women in the tub" story.

Lato - I knew talk of past World Cups would act as a carrot and finally tempt you out of the woodwork, you're right as 1974 was also a classic but don't believe Poland v Holland would have been such a memorable final somehow.

From Preston Park, Harefield to the Estadio Azteca, Mexico.....marvellous?

I'm going for 1970. Evocotive of a greater age Isn't it....Pele...Jairzinho....Banks....Moore....That save....That tackle....Sweaty shirt swapping....Airtex....Humidity....Communist Italy....

and what about Bonetti?...Chelsea Twat....Germany 2-3....Muller....Charlton substituted by Ramsey?....Best England team ever going home....

Football eh? Marvellous Isn't it. grin

1982 was pretty special as I recall, the Brazillians with Junior, Zico, Falcao & Eder. Italy with Rossi, Bruno Conti & Marco Tardelli & an England squad featuring Steve Foster !!! lol. Belgium beating El Salvador 10-1, David Narey's strike v Brazil. Three British teams, the unlucky but excellent Honduras team, Germany losing to Algeria & me swapping my Action Man for about 20 stickers so I could finish my Panini Espana 82 album. Ahhh happy Days.

Got good memories of Italia 90 as I was there in Sardinia & saw the 3 group matches before flying over to Bologna for the Belgium game & Platty's goal at the death.

Best England team ever going home

To be fair I think the heat in Leon got to us in the end, we were cruising at 2-0 but West Germany had played their group games there and knew the score, they were as fresh as daisies at the end.

The 'Club' Secretary of England you mean, does such a person exist.

Wasn't David Stacey the England Secretary at one point

and saw the mighty Oxhey Jets win 3-0 at the Conference South club. shocked

I think you'll find that St Albans played a weakened side so it's no real surprise:

http://www.sacfc.co.uk/content/view/773/338/