Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cameron comes under fire!

Cameron says re-elect me and I'll give you £7bn in tax cuts (shh, by the way, rich mates will get double), meanwhile he has no idea yet which services he'll cut to find the money.

Actually the so called proposed tax cut at the lower end is less in cash, and percentage terms than the previous five years. That people could actually believe he is looking after the interests of the poorest members of society beggars belief, but it seems that as usual they do, and I believe could re-elect them next year. Watching shadow minister Stella Creasy on Question Time last night questioning how the so called tax adjustment  would be paid for was embarrassing as she doesn't seem to have a clue how the UK tax system works. IMO the calibre of MPS and prospective politicians is at an all time low, and I despair for the future.

Cameron says re-elect me and I'll give you £7bn in tax cuts (shh, by the way, rich mates will get double), meanwhile he has no idea yet which services he'll cut to find the money.

Actually the so called proposed tax cut at the lower end is less in cash, and percentage terms than the previous five years. That people could actually believe he is looking after the interests of the poorest members of society beggars belief, but it seems that as usual they do, and I believe could re-elect them next year. Watching shadow minister Stella Creasy on Question Time last night questioning how the so called tax adjustment  would be paid for was embarrassing as she doesn't seem to have a clue how the UK tax system works. IMO the calibre of MPS and prospective politicians is at an all time low, and I despair for the future.

If you want to get the unemployment figures down and protect the worse off in society, then put the minimum wage up - that will mean more taxes to the exchequer, less benefits paid and will give UK residents a more level playing field with cheap foreign labour. It will also help with people's self-esteem, something that the Conservatives don't take any acknowledgement of as being an issue. The Conservatives are just trying to push people off benefits into the lowest paid jobs out there and as a result make them live in abject poverty.

I don't subscribe to this argument that it will mean employers will have to lay off staff, that hasn't been the case in the US. It just allows unscrupulous employers to maximise profits with cheap labour.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see what all the fuss is about following Lord Freude's forward thinking comments on the disabled, there was no malice intended and surely it's a good idea to get more disabled people working, albeit below the minimum wage, rather than sitting idle at home feeling worthless:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2793896/miliband-calls-welfare-minister-lord-freud-sacked-saying-disabled-people-not-worth-minimum-wage.html

I don't see what all the fuss is about following Lord Freude's forward thinking comments on the disabled, there was no malice intended and surely it's a good idea to get more disabled people working, albeit below the minimum wage, rather than sitting idle at home feeling worthless:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2793896/miliband-calls-welfare-minister-lord-freud-sacked-saying-disabled-people-not-worth-minimum-wage.html

Do you piss yourself laughing when you write all this rubbish. If not you must have an amazingly strong bladder.

Cup of Tea – I thought Glenn Hoddle’s comments about the disabled, that got him dismissed from the England job, were far worse than Lord Freude’s who meant well.

It's clearly meant as a wind-up Alan. I don't think anyone in their right mind would seriously suggest that we punish people financially just because they are disabled.

Indeed.

Loosely - I wondered how long it would be before you reared your head, I suppose you disagree with Lord Freude's comments.

Loosely - I wondered how long it would be before you reared your head

After two other posters it seems.

I think you are entitled to an opinion, particularly any that demonstrate either very poor trolling or if sincere, mental illness. 

Which is it? Could be both I suppose.

I think you are entitled to an opinion

And Lord Freude's not you mean, he made a valid point as it would, as I said, get more disabled people working rather than sitting idle at home feeling worthless

Yeah - I think he's as entitled to make a fool of himself as you are Rhodesly. He works for the Government and due to the (almost) universal condemnation with regards to his suggested pay levels he'll either have to resign or the Conservatives become an even bigger laughing stock/ It's win win really for their opponents, own goal either way. Something the Tories are getting good at lately - losing party members or ministers. Good times.

Cup of Tea – I thought Glenn Hoddle’s comments about the disabled, that got him dismissed from the England job, were far worse than Lord Freude’s who meant well.

Got no time for Hoddle either, both comments were at best, ill-advised.

both comments were at best, ill-advised

Maybe Freude was ill advised to speak out at a fringe meeting at the Tory Party Conference however, like I said, his intentions were honourable, he made a perfectly valid point as it will get more disabled people working rather than sitting at home feeling totally un-wanted and worthless

The article states that he (Freude) made a full apology and stated that everyone should be entitled to the minimum wage.

Cup of Tea - I don't think Freude needed to make an apology at all for his comments let alone resign his position and I hope that won't be the case

There is an excellent letter in today's Metro folks which says it all really:

'While Lord Freude's remarks were clumsy, I find the deliberate misinterpretation of them for Political reasons sickening. He was speaking in the context of trying to help very disabled people who want the chance to work to get the opportunity to do so. This was not an attack on the vulnerable as the hypocrytical and shameless Ed Miliband desperately tried to suggest'.

Fascinating stuff Rhodesly.

Personally I wonder how much Stephen Hawkins enjoyed the comments by Freude, whether he agrees that he's worth 2 quid an hour. My next door neighbour's nephew back from Afghanistan 3 years ago without his legs, re-trained as a software architect can't wait for the pay cut. Meanwhile almost universal condemnation for the lack of thought put into Freude's "thoughts" elsewhere:-

"Lord Freud , a multi-millionaire former investment banker, is a deeply unpleasant creature who has spent the last few years trying to dismantle the welfare system.  He  has nothing but contempt for people who are ill or disabled.  Cameron & Duncan Smith should kick him into touch today, making it clear that obnoxious individuals like Freud have no place in a Government which claims to be 'inclusive'."

"Sack him now.

How is Cameron ever going to rid the Tories of the "Nasty Party" gag if he keeps him in place?

Having said that, what was Blair thinking when he appointed him in spite of his dodgy reputation?

Yet another example of the disreputable political elite who are driving people into the arms of UKIP."

"The Tory mentality in a nutshell - when ever anyone is tempted to think, "they are all the same these politicians" here is the difference between the two Parties - the two mentalities."

"Yet another example of the Tory mentality who largely have no idea about how those outside the political elite have to survive on minimum wages and sometimes for minimum hours. He should try living on minimum wages for a week. I bet he wouldn't survive beyond lunchtime on day 1. 

Was this the same person who tried to explain the rise in use of food banks as people grabbing a freebie rather than as a result of the failure of Government policy."

Surely the point of the minimum wage is not to reflect the value of the work done: it is the bare minimum needed to survive.  In some cases this perhaps allows necessary but uneconomic jobs to exist, in some others it perhaps gives organisations the excuse to underpay.

However, to suggest that the disabled should be assessed and paid less, is to send a cruel message that they are worth less than the more fortunate.  Furthermore, those who choose to work are likely to have better mental health than those isolated through unemployment as well as, perhaps, their disability, and to have the opportunity through work to develop improved coping strategies."

Just a sample, you could fill pages.

Final thought, what happened to Remploy, the agency tasked with getting the disabled in ALL of their various disabilities back into work? Oh yes, the Conservative Government shut it down. 

Loosely - The letter in today's Metro concedes that Lord Freude's comments were clumsy which they were but, and sorry to sound like Jeremy Paxman interviewing Michael Howard, his intentions were honourable. Freude made a perfectly valid point as it will get far more disabled people working rather than simply sitting at home feeling miserable and worthless, surely you agree that £2 an hour is better than not working at all.