Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wembley FC

I still think people are missing the point. I don't have any problem with Budweiser sponsoring Wembley FC and using it for the benefit of the club. But it's the fact that the money, or a fair chunk of it appears to be going to a bunch of old pro's as part of a publicity stunt.

If they don't actually play that's one thing, but if they do it's an insult to the competition.

These people should be playing charity games. Budweiser should be investing in infrastructure and promoting Wembley FC's junior football setup.

Never happen with batesy,he's a realist and won't aloud the players too.

Everybody knows people will take great pleasure in beating us so we must raise our game and be level headed.

I agree with lee.

couple of questions for pearcey please, it seems the five or so ex pros have been coaching for four months at wembley

I assume there will have been some mixed training, and some practice matches.

were they involved,and if so would Wembley FC be a better side with them in it , or worse?

(over 90 /120 minutes on probably a shit pitch in August)

Also who is the guy Wembley/ el tel send out scouting,tall grey haired gent, ex pro?

ta.

They did train a couple of times,ray parlour was decent.Brian mcbride was great and caniggia still has it whether they will cope with attentions of a ccl centre back who knows.

I think we would be a better side with 1 or 2 but do worry if all were to play as fitness and lack of knowledge about this level may let them.

But I do believe they do their best as they don't want to damage their reputation

So the aim of all this is to get Wembley FC to play at Wembley stadium according to the reports in the media? Then why are they playing in the FA Cup, where they have zero chance of getting to the semi-final, surely if they were to play in the FA Vase then they would stand a much better chance?

What an opportunity for some of the wembely players !! especially if they are arsenal fans! that would be like me playing with keane bruce schmichael etc

Just being realistic,ccl champions is where we want to be its the bread and butter.if we get within a round of meeting a conference or league team then I start to get excited.the vase is the one for me,a chance to play at wembley stadium is a dream more realistic.

This conversation has gone away from what I intended,I love the fa cup I back spurs to win it every year(more heartache) but at our level it is a dream and this level is long forgotten which was my point regarding hanworth,I know a couple of lads there(morley,major,Leo and baines) and looked out excitedly to see if they beat slough and afc totton.ask yourself this did that run affect their promotion chance,the extra games the backlog of games to catch up with??? They had a good side and I watched them come to wembley and slap a wembley side 5-1 that had in previous weeks beaten Windsor and guildford.

I don't know who your involved with farming but what do you want out of the fa cup?

Think about Pearcey you may have this wrong, Hanworth's brilliant escapade in FA Cup, Vase and being filmed was brilliant for the players and club which earnt them over £20,000. They also came 3rd becuase of their good run towards the end of the season, which in theory was a two horse race from early doors between Guildford and Windsor, so getting promoted and being knocked out at the first hurdle of the Cup competitions, I ask those of Hanworth Villa what would they have preferred last season ? ;) .

I can say I will never forget the day Camberley got to the 1st Round and played at Brentford. No promotion will ever come close to that.

Just being realistic,ccl champions is where we want to be its the bread and butter.if we get within a round of meeting a conference or league team then I start to get excited.the vase is the one for me,a chance to play at wembley stadium is a dream more realistic.

This conversation has gone away from what I intended,I love the fa cup I back spurs to win it every year(more heartache) but at our level it is a dream and this level is long forgotten which was my point regarding hanworth,I know a couple of lads there(morley,major,Leo and baines) and looked out excitedly to see if they beat slough and afc totton.ask yourself this did that run affect their promotion chance,the extra games the backlog of games to catch up with??? They had a good side and I watched them come to wembley and slap a wembley side 5-1 that had in previous weeks beaten Windsor and guildford.

I don't know who your involved with farming but what do you want out of the fa cup?

Think about Pearcey you may have this wrong, Hanworth's brilliant escapade in FA Cup, Vase and being filmed was brilliant for the players and club which earnt them over £20,000. They also came 3rd becuase of their good run towards the end of the season, which in theory was a two horse race from early doors between Guildford and Windsor, so getting promoted and being knocked out at the first hurdle of the Cup competitions, I ask those of Hanworth Villa what would they have preferred last season ? ;) .

So Hanworth earnt a stack of cash for their exploits and enjoyed a wonderful experience they will remember for the rest of their lives, sounds pretty similar to what Wembley are getting guaranteed to them without having to do a great deal or the risk of falling at the first hurdle?

Most people who disagree with this situation, point to the Wembley players being the ones missing out here and how unfair it is but the only one who has posted completely disagrees with that and more than embraces the move. Did anyone leave Wembley when they heard the 'circus' was coming to town, that might tell a story, I doubt it though.

As former / current players would you not give up two years of FA Cup games (Which could easily be two games but conversely of course could be a very rare and unlikely Hanworth type run) for being coached by and possibly playing alongside the likes of these players who regardless of their age have a lot to offer the current Wembley players, enjoying the experience of being filmed for a documentry and most importantly vastly improving the club you play at and are a part of?

Of course Budweiser are using the situation for their own benefit, that's what most large sponsorship deals are about. Wembley have the opportunity to milk this and set their club up for years to come, good luck to them. Jeaousy has been mentioned, I for one am jealous of them, I wish it had happened at my club whilst I played or indeed now.

My only concern would be that the documentry may be derogatory about football at this level, I hope they don't feel the need to belittle the clubs who struggle week in week out to survive and are run by a huge amount of good people.

If Pearcey is representative of players generally then it's a shame that players have less affection for the FA Cup than most supporters. A lot players in my experience, certainly younger ones don't really give a sh*t about anything but themselves. Such is the way of 21st century England. I still maintain, as a 40something, that the FA Cup does have a romance about it even for those of us who have suffered pretty much immediate exit for successive years. I felt that way as a teenager.

If some starstruck players are happy to give their shirt away in exchange for a few hours with someone they watched on Match of the Day 15 years ago then good for them.

I just don't understand what the Wembley FC/Budweiser plan is. Bring in some once high profile retired players and make a TV show for a cable channel? A bit of fun for those involved – great. Will it sell any more Budweiser? Doubt it. Will it serve as a great foundation for Wembley FC's future? Maybe, if they get beyond the lovely new car park.

Any sponsorship by any Company is most welcome at any level,in some ways Wembley have hit the jackpot, for being where the Club is situated.Nothing more, nothing less.What do the Club gain,a NEW CAR PARK,NEW DRESSING ROOMS,REVAMPED CLUBHOUSE,NEW MINI BUS,NEW KIT/EQUIPMENT,WIDE MEDIA COVERAGE.Now lets get to the Players who do not give sh*t,Wembley have not paid Players at this level,and have some long serving players in their squad,who obviously give a sh*t about their Club.They will most likely play in the Cup games,so they will not miss out.For the rest SHORT TERM PAIN,FOR LONG TERM GAIN FOR THE GOOD OF WEMBLEY F.C.Would be a nice gesture though if Budweiser could throw a few quid the C.C.L.'s way in some form of Sponsorship.Maybe if they were approached they would?

Farmie your beginning to get boring,we get it! You don't rate budweiser you doubt rate wembley as they've sold out.you mock my comments regarding the car park.as for the magic of the fact cup it's still there i trained with mark newsome,Gary smith and Gary Phillips of stevenage when I was barnet and if they beat spurs I would've been pleased,that's what the fa cup should be about but it's not every club is interested in the money!does your club give back the money they get from winning each round,no course they don't they pocket it just like hanworth did with the 20,000.so don't give its all about the magic when you take all the you can get!

I'll ask the same question AGAIN.

What would you do if it were offered to your club????

lets try to stop going round in circles and reach agreement?

Budweiser sponsor wembley because its called Wembley a well known football stadium. good/bad? fair enough I say

El Tel appointed advisor good/bad? more publicity, smart move

Budweiser improve ground infrasctructure. Good/bad? good for lucky old wembley. no prob from me.

Its all being filmed, and a group of ex pros help training etc Good/bad? hmm not sure, lets see the programmes, and see how wembley fare next season as a side

People at budweiser and the club realise wembley may get stuffed in August fa cup and decide getting half a dozen ex pros will ensure progress good/bad? interesting one for me.

will a mid table side with a few ex pros really be a much better side? a few reputations on line.

I assume el tel thinks it will improve the side enough. If hes right then we will know what standard "our" level of football is.

If they get stuffed then maybe this will be seen as a little bit arrogant and commercial.

I hope whoever wembley draw arent then sponsored by the sun or Magners and we get gascoigne lineker etc lining up against them recreating the 91 semi final

lets try to stop going round in circles and reach agreement?

Budweiser sponsor wembley because its called Wembley a well known football stadium. good/bad? fair enough I say

El Tel appointed advisor good/bad? more publicity, smart move

Budweiser improve ground infrasctructure. Good/bad? good for lucky old wembley. no prob from me.

Its all being filmed, and a group of ex pros help training etc Good/bad? hmm not sure, lets see the programmes, and see how wembley fare next season as a side

People at budweiser and the club realise wembley may get stuffed in August fa cup and decide getting half a dozen ex pros will ensure progress good/bad? interesting one for me.

will a mid table side with a few ex pros really be a much better side? a few reputations on line.

I assume el tel thinks it will improve the side enough. If hes right then we will know what standard "our" level of football is.

If they get stuffed then maybe this will be seen as a little bit arrogant and commercial.

I hope whoever wembley draw arent then sponsored by the sun or Magners and we get gascoigne lineker etc lining up against them recreating the 91 semi final

Reach an agreement !!! You have no chance TSF.

Would I like my club to do it. No.

Would the club do it if it came their way despite my views. Yes

Would I fall out with anyone about it. No

Will I no longer like Pearcey or Ian for that matter because thir club did it. No

Will I be jealous of Wembleys new road. Of Course I will next time I drive over our pot holed one.

It is happening. We have aired our views and in my experience of this forum now we have done that by repeating it all again will only mean things get personal.

Hi All,

Being a player of a step 5 club in Essex I can only agree with what pearcey says. I can also understand you saying my opinion is not valid! I tweeted about this when it was announced on twitter, and got a similar amount of negative feedback from the non league community on there.

As a player it may be a little annoying to not play in the FA cup for the next 2 years, but players have to look at the opportunity being presented to them and make the most of it! most of us would dream of being part of a pro club and this may well be the closest some of those Wembley players get. I would be willing to travel the whole way round the A406 3 times a week to play/train around those ex pro's.

As a club, if this was my club they would jump at it no questions. Nowadays getting somebody to put there hand in there pocket even to sponsor an advertising board or programme page is hard work. The Essex Senior League hasn't even got a ball sponsor or benchwear sponsor in the last 5 years. For someone to come in and just provide some ground/facilities upgrading and kit would take alot of pressure off the club and able them to focus more on other areas of the club for a long term future.

I can only hope the whole non league community backs this and we can get more people involved/supporting/aware of non league football and the massive part it plays in the uk. Wouldn't all clubs like just 1 extra person to help out due to seeing this in the news or on the telly and wanting to get involved?