Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

and then the issue of 'WHAT IF' flights home are cancelled, weather issues grounding flights or missed flights due to other issues. It could cost someone their job or if self employed, a days work! Going up to St Neots on a tuesday night is not even close!

Well, if it were me, I'd book the day after the game as leave as well so a delayed flight wouldn't cause me grief at work. If a flight was grounded for more than 24 hours, most employers would accept that as an "exceptional circumstance". Players who are self-employed always have a difficult decision with the longer range away days, as travel to the game will also potentially cost them work.

Well, if you can do a better job, put yourself forward for election as Fixture Secretary at the League's AGM. It's not as if the people running the League are doing it as a full-time occupation, they're volunteers like most of the people running the clubs. I'm sure the League would welcome the help!

Beano you are close to contradicting yourself. Volunteers cannot afford for flights or games to be cancelled abroad. Please remember at most clubs it is the players that get paid and not the "volunteers".

Well, if it were me, I'd book the day after the game as leave as well so a delayed flight wouldn't cause me grief at work. If a flight was grounded for more than 24 hours, most employers would accept that as an "exceptional circumstance". Players who are self-employed always have a difficult decision with the longer range away days, as travel to the game will also potentially cost them work.

There you go again, speaking for other people. At you or have you ever been self employed? Are you a boss of staff? I know for one that my boss would go ape if I didn't return to work.

Beano. I think the current climate is enough proof don't you? Not everyone has the luxury of 800+ fans and there own tv channel.

Too true! Ashford's attendance yesterday was 85, and was one of the better crowds in our division on the day.

The thing is, now that GFC are in, they're not going to be kicked out, so my point is that clubs need to be aware of that and plan accordingly. Because of the FA rules about travel to the Channel Islands in their competitions setting a precedent, GFC will almost certainly have to pay travel and hotel costs until they either reach Step 2+, or withdraw from the system. None of the Step 4 leagues will accept their clubs paying for travel to league games when it's covered by GFC in The FA Cup/Vase/Trophy, so I hardly think their presence in any league will be bankrupting the other clubs.

I am not self-employed, although I was briefly as a young man. But I have managed large teams of staff for major retailers and every firm I have worked for has a policy to allow for "exceptional absence". I'm not saying it's an ideal scenario, but in the jobs I've done, if I knew the day before I was due back at work I couldn't get there, I'd phone my boss and explain the situation. It would then be dealt with afterwards.

Edited by Beano

Oddly enough, Smudger, this WAS discussed, (seriously) in the Meadowbank bar a few days ago and it seemed a possible way forward.

So what, Guernsey players would need to take a week off work?

Too true! Ashford's attendance yesterday was 85, and was one of the better crowds in our division on the day.

The thing is, now that GFC are in, they're not going to be kicked out, so my point is that clubs need to be aware of that and plan accordingly. Because of the FA rules about travel to the Channel Islands in their competitions setting a precedent, GFC will almost certainly have to pay travel and hotel costs until they either reach Step 2+, or withdraw from the system. None of the Step 4 leagues will accept their clubs paying for travel to league games when it's covered by GFC in The FA Cup/Vase/Trophy, so I hardly think their presence in any league will be bankrupting the other clubs.

Clubs should should all refuse to travel and just say they can't get a squad out

HTFC your deluded like alot of other people they should not be allowed in this league and believe me that this project will fail and then everybody will be saying well it was a laugh RUBBISH

kick Guernsey out of mainland football

Why not be honest and let us know the reasl reason for you hatred of GFC? You sound like a certain ex MP...

The planning of the league fixtures has been a joke for example the vase dates should have had Guernsey away in the league so if they progress which they have then Guernsey have to travel midweek not the mainland team. That alone would have saved so much hassle

So the entire fixtures should be written around one team and sod the rest of them?

DK and JJ I make you both correct , Beano your deluded and I'm guessing one of the fools who voted them in. Guernsey will not last

I didn't vote them in, my club plays at Step 4.

Maybe Guernsey won't last in the system. I have no preference either way, but I do think some of the moaning and misinformation that gets put about in the name of "debate" about them is rather tiresome.

More name calling as well, I see. I'm sorry that my opinion, which is based on actual football experience, upsets you so much.

Clubs should should all refuse to travel and just say they can't get a squad out

And give the three points to GFC and risk explusion from the League?

I'm sick to death of all this whining. I'm thinking that continuing to bother with this forum is a waste of time. bobuk, especially, seems to have a massive axe to grind with no good words to be said for Guernsey.

We are having our wettest year I can ever remember. Last year we had only one game lost before Christmas to weather.