Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

Alternatively, Guernsey could concede home advantage. I genuinely did not appreciate that they were behind the rugby club in the pecking order - goes to show how much notice I take.

Whatever the solution, this is fantastic experience for the CCL and FA in general should other islands choose to apply for election. Someone had to be first just as Headington Utd tried to play an FA Cup tie under floodlights many years ago. FFS, lay off Guernsey. They are a welcome addition to this league and I would rather have them on board instead of that disgrace of a club that uses a dump of a leisure centre in a small town near Woking.

Beggars the question,was this asked for by the League,as G.F.has said there is no game planned for the Saturday.Or was it a Club to Club Agreement?Who in their right mind would volunteer for a Sunday Fixture,no night on the Town for the players.

Thought at this level it was all about playing football then getting pissed?

T

Thought at this level it was all about playing football then getting pissed?

Where is there a mention of anyone getting pissed? Can you explain why to all of us,Guernsey have the best Website,the only TV Station in Non League,National TV and Media coverage,even get a mention on Sky Sports.Are Professionally run and all angles covered bar One.A Crap pitch,almost on a par with Chessington and Hook,who have taken plenty of stick on here,the reason I ask is 3 inches of rain is coming your way tomorrow.What have the powers that be,have planned to cover this.Tarpaulins would be a start,a few volunteers asked for,you have plenty of Fans,or just leave it to nature,which would be unwise as further rain is forecast Thursday/Friday.

Anybody who wishes to know who am I only have to ask politely. To be honest my name has been posted on here many times by you.

I thought you knew everybody who is somebody, Smudgy ?

The man in question is a scholar and a gentleman and always welcomed at Meadowbank !

I thought you knew everybody who is somebody, Smudgy ?

The man in question is a scholar and a gentleman and always welcomed at Meadowbank !

Not an acrobat?

So he's not the Pink Panther then...

A number of people seem to be bleating about taking time off to go to Guernsey but what about the Guernsey away fixtures that have been postponed. Do their players not have the same problems as players over here getting time off work ? At the end of the day the league WILL sort out the probem one way or another and if anyone doesn't like it then put yourself forward at the league AGM to take over the fixture secretary's position and see if you can do better !

Each club only has to go there once and it's no different to any other away game except in your own minds. Too many of you are looking at it as a free weekend away instead of just another fixture to be played. One possible outcome could be for Guernsey to say enough is enough and take away the free hotel stay which according to FA Rules they are I believe entitled to do. FA Rules state you can only claim an overnight stay if your journey is more than 8 hours from your base to the match venue so the fact Guernsey offer accomodation free of charge is only proof that they don't seek to gain advantage in any way by making you fly out, play and fly home on the same day which could be done quite easily with a 1 or 2 pm kick off !

When you've had to travel to Truro for a league game on a Tuesday night you can look at things like this a bit more realistically and the reality is they ARE in the league, postponements WILL happen, some clubs WILL have to play there midweek so DEAL WITH IT.

Every club in the league has a squad and many have reserve teams so if someone can't get the time off work then that opens the door for someone else which is what happens throughout the season if a player is working or can't get away on time for any other fixture so why is it any different if you're travelling to Guernsey ? We went there recently with 3 players missing through work or other committments but we dealt with it, as it happens on other occasions but, like I said at the beginning, treat it like any other fixture and forget the Jolly Boys Outing that goes with it and it is just that, another away fixture. It took us 50 minutes to drive to Gatwick and 55 minutes on the plane whereas our trip to Croydon last season took 3 hours for some !

Edited by Windsor_Sec

Where is there a mention of anyone getting pissed? Can you explain why to all of us,Guernsey have the best Website,the only TV Station in Non League,National TV and Media coverage,even get a mention on Sky Sports.Are Professionally run and all angles covered bar One.A Crap pitch,almost on a par with Chessington and Hook,who have taken plenty of stick on here,the reason I ask is 3 inches of rain is coming your way tomorrow.What have the powers that be,have planned to cover this.Tarpaulins would be a start,a few volunteers asked for,you have plenty of Fans,or just leave it to nature,which would be unwise as further rain is forecast Thursday/Friday.

Who in their right mind would volunteer for a Sunday Fixture,no night on the Town for the players.

You said the above, in my mind a night on the town usually means getting pissed!

The pitch managment is beyond the control of GFC as far as I know. The day to day managment is down to the Culture and Lesuire Department. You need some dry weather to be able to get on the pitch in the first place. When asked many have gone down to Footes Lane with forks etc. and worked hard to get the pitch playable, including players.

If you want to know direct from the club, I suggest you ask them! I have no direct connection to the club, just a mere supporter.

Edited by HKP

Not an acrobat?

So he's not the Pink Panther then...

I wouldn't go as far as that !

A number of people seem to be bleating about taking time off to go to Guernsey but what about the Guernsey away fixtures that have been postponed. Do their players not have the same problems as players over here getting time off work ? At the end of the day the league WILL sort out the probem one way or another and if anyone doesn't like it then put yourself forward at the league AGM to take over the fixture secretary's position and see if you can do better !

Each club only has to go there once and it's no different to any other away game except in your own minds. Too many of you are looking at it as a free weekend away instead of just another fixture to be played. One possible outcome could be for Guernsey to say enough is enough and take away the free hotel stay which according to FA Rules they are I believe entitled to do. FA Rules state you can only claim an overnight stay if your journey is more than 8 hours from your base to the match venue so the fact Guernsey offer accomodation free of charge is only proof that they don't seek to gain advantage in any way by making you fly out, play and fly home on the same day which could be done quite easily with a 1 or 2 pm kick off !

When you've had to travel to Truro for a league game on a Tuesday night you can look at things like this a bit more realistically and the reality is they ARE in the league, postponements WILL happen, some clubs WILL have to play there midweek so DEAL WITH IT.

Every club in the league has a squad and many have reserve teams so if someone can't get the time off work then that opens the door for someone else which is what happens throughout the season if a player is working or can't get away on time for any other fixture so why is it any different if you're travelling to Guernsey ? We went there recently with 3 players missing through work or other committments but we dealt with it, as it happens on other occasions but, like I said at the beginning, treat it like any other fixture and forget the Jolly Boys Outing that goes with it and it is just that, another away fixture. It took us 50 minutes to drive to Gatwick and 55 minutes on the plane whereas our trip to Croydon last season took 3 hours for some !

Steve,I like the way you bring Croydon FC into this thread,and the 3 hours travelling by SOME.You personally thanked me for the direction details I pm'd you on this site,when you informed me, that the trip you took 1hr 15 mins.You even bought me a coffee in appreciation.As this season has proved,at least when SOME spend 3 hrs getting to the Arena,they are guaranteed a Game,unlike RPV were.As for your comments about overnight stays,this was I believe the only reason Clubs voted Guernsey in,I could be wrong though.

Steve,I like the way you bring Croydon FC into this thread,and the 3 hours travelling by SOME.You personally thanked me for the direction details I pm'd you on this site,when you informed me, that the trip you took 1hr 15 mins.You even bought me a coffee in appreciation.As this season has proved,at least when SOME spend 3 hrs getting to the Arena,they are guaranteed a Game,unlike RPV were.As for your comments about overnight stays,this was I believe the only reason Clubs voted Guernsey in,I could be wrong though.

Smudge, I only brought Croydon in to the equation as it was a fact that it took some of them 3 hours to get there. Had it taken that amount of time to get anywhere else I would have mentioned it. If I thanked you and bought you a coffee then someone is impersonating me as I was unable to make the away game myself last season but I have [too many times] experienced the nightmare of a trip to the Arena during the time when Croydon and Windsor & Eton were in the Isthmian ranks. LOL. Do you honestly believe clubs voted Guernsey in simply on the promise of an overnight stay ?

Beggars the question,was this asked for by the League,as G.F.has said there is no game planned for the Saturday.Or was it a Club to Club Agreement?Who in their right mind would volunteer for a Sunday Fixture,no night on the Town for the players.

of course there is smudge, go out on the saturday night!

After reading through the many pages on this thread it does look like there is not going to be a solution that will keep everyone happy as with many of the possible solutions people will argue for and against all day long. I am a bit miffed that a club with extra baggage ie flights, over night stays and obvious possibilities of cup runs would be voted into the CCL without actually having there own ground, 1st option on the pitch or at least a back up pitch to have the best chance to fullfil all fixtures with minimal disruption. It does smack of people just seeing this as a nice little trip in the spring or summer and not actually looking at the bigger picture. I do think that Guernsey have been a welcome addition in many ways and hope someone can sort something out before it starts to become disruptive to the whole league in what could be a very interesting 2nd half to the season.

If it takes you 3hrs to get to Croydon, you got to be a wally. It never takes us 3hrs to get to any ground.

Took me and my young lady well over 3 hours to get to the Arena last year. OK, there were a few detours via certain drinking establishments on the way but it still took over 3 hours :alc:

After reading through the many pages on this thread it does look like there is not going to be a solution that will keep everyone happy as with many of the possible solutions people will argue for and against all day long. I am a bit miffed that a club with extra baggage ie flights, over night stays and obvious possibilities of cup runs would be voted into the CCL without actually having there own ground, 1st option on the pitch or at least a back up pitch to have the best chance to fullfil all fixtures with minimal disruption. It does smack of people just seeing this as a nice little trip in the spring or summer and not actually looking at the bigger picture. I do think that Guernsey have been a welcome addition in many ways and hope someone can sort something out before it starts to become disruptive to the whole league in what could be a very interesting 2nd half to the season.

We have several excellent pitches. But they are all suffering from the rainfall. I myself play in one of the local leagues and have only had 3 league games so far. 3 or 4 others have been rained off.

I will probably be ripped a new one for this, but here goes:

After looking on Reg Miles' website, perhaps (that is not definite, but maybe for the benefit of our rotund member from Hook) the outstanding Guernsey fixtures could be arranged thus:

Guernsey v Camberley Town (March 26th)

Guernsey v Epsom & Ewell (April 16th)

Guernsey v Farnham Town (April 23rd)

Guernsey v Raynes Park Vale (April 30th)

Guernsey v Sandhurst Town (May 4th/Star Wars Day)

Guernsey v South Park (May 7th)

Before you all get angry, it's a suggestion.

Game will be in doubt Saturday aswell looking at the forecast? Not only for Guernsey but quite a few mainland sides aswell

Its piddling down here at the moment and very dark.

I will probably be ripped a new one for this, but here goes:

After looking on Reg Miles' website, perhaps (that is not definite, but maybe for the benefit of our rotund member from Hook) the outstanding Guernsey fixtures could be arranged thus:

Guernsey v Camberley Town (March 26th)

Guernsey v Epsom & Ewell (April 16th)

Guernsey v Farnham Town (April 23rd)

Guernsey v Raynes Park Vale (April 30th)

Guernsey v Sandhurst Town (May 4th/Star Wars Day)

Guernsey v South Park (May 7th)

Before you all get angry, it's a suggestion.

Can't believe you would even suggest playing a game on Star Wars Day