Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

i dont think they need a weakened team to play against to still win the league.

Bobuk seems quite a bitter person. Im obviously doesnt play!

HTFC your deluded like alot of other people they should not be allowed in this league and believe me that this project will fail and then everybody will be saying well it was a laugh RUBBISH

kick Guernsey out of mainland football

HTFC your deluded like alot of other people they should not be allowed in this league and believe me that this project will fail and then everybody will be saying well it was a laugh RUBBISH

thats your opinion.

if they do fail,which i think they wont, at least they gave it a go.

they have given lots of players lots of fun and pleasure on the island,with 1200 plus supporters watching them,which most if not all will never experience again. Just let them got on with it and if u get a chance watch them as they r a good team.

There's too much riding on Guernsey FC for them for their project to fail.

Not saying it won't, or can't, but Steve Dewnship (or whatever his name his) and Mark Le Tissier cannot afford to let the Guernsey project fail.

If anybody is that concerned, why not drop Steve and Mark a line at Guernsey FC? I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss things.

There's too much riding on Guernsey FC for them for their project to fail.

Not saying it won't, or can't, but Steve Dewnship (or whatever his name his) and Mark Le Tissier cannot afford to let the Guernsey project fail.

If anybody is that concerned, why not drop Steve and Mark a line at Guernsey FC? I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss things.

Or not, as the case may be !!

The planning of the league fixtures has been a joke for example the vase dates should have had Guernsey away in the league so if they progress which they have then Guernsey have to travel midweek not the mainland team. That alone would have saved so much hassle

As has been said countless times before, Guernsey FC were voted into the League by the member clubs, having spent most of the previous 12 months meeting with the CCL, FA and various other parties to try and ensure as many variables were covered as possible. Now they're in the League, they are members of the National League System and so The FA will determine which League they play in moving forward. If the clubs didn't want them, they had the chance to say so, as did The FA, Guernsey FA and the League's Board. Therefore, GFC have every right to play in the League.

Why? Because it's a bit tricky to get to the away game and it might get called off if the weather's bad? Look at the League's name: the Combined Counties League, as in more than one. This is senior, regional football and therefore the odd tricky journey is to be expected. Following your logic, we might as well go the whole hog and exclude Devon & Cornwall, the North-East and Cumbria from the system and the FA Competitions.

The planning of the league fixtures has been a joke for example the vase dates should have had Guernsey away in the league so if they progress which they have then Guernsey have to travel midweek not the mainland team. That alone would have saved so much hassle

It's not always that easy, though. The needs of other clubs need to be taken into account, as do those of "host" clubs where groundshares exist. Lazarus has been doing the League's fixtures for nigh on 30 years, I think he knows a bit more about it than you do!

How the hell you can compare playing a game in Guernsey to playing on mainland uk is just pathetic. Clubs at a higher level will go bust because on Guernsey FC. Clubs are just about staying afloat net alone having to fork out for games abroad. Imagine a team paying out for hotels and flights then the game gets cancelled. Will they have to fork out again for the rescheduled fixture?? In all fairness to Guernsey they applied and got accepted its the FA that should take up the slack.

Edited by bomaya

No, it's a reasonable example. How long would it take a Chertsey or Ashford to get to Rugby, Woodford or further afield midweek? How do the players get there?

In both travel time and the need for players / officials to take time off work, the effects on clubs are similar. At present, the visiting club does not have to pay for the flights and hotels you cite as a problem and I've not seen any suggestion that they would next season so that is not an issue at present.

I've spent more than 20 years involved at clubs higher than the CCL at Board/Committee level so I know exactly how hard it is for clubs to stay afloat. All the while GFC pays for travel and accomodation, going there midweek would only be slightly more difficult for a Step 4/3 club than a normal away game - the overnight stay requiring more time off work, for instance.

I know that I'd rather go to Guernsey on a Tuesday night than Cinderford or St. Neots - both midweek games Ashford have played at Step 4 without all the moaning indulged in on here.

Oh and there is also the difference between paying £400 for a coach to get to a game on main land uk as appose to god knows how many ££'s for cars to the airport, parking the cars, flying over to Guernsey and for the Hotel. No comparison at all between the two other then a round ball

Edited by Doorknob

At Step 4 and above, travelling to away games is a fact of life. All clubs at that level will include travel costs into their budget and if a club knows it has GFC in its League, it will allow for that in its financial planning (or will if it's being run properly).

I never claimed to speak for anyone but myself, I merely pointed out some of the facts as they exist and respond to your point without the name calling you resorted to. I have first hand experience of the travelling my club has to do, which informs my view.

As for the costs, I say again: as it stands, there is no evidence that clubs would have to pay for flights and accomodation if and when they go to Guernsey at Step 4. Let's say 16 players, 4 football management and four officials of a club car share from Ashford to example. Would the petrol costs and 24 hours parking at Gatwick cost more than the coach fare (which is usually nearer £500 than £400 these days)?

I do take your point that, IF clubs had to meet the flight and accomodation costs themselves, that would be a significant problem for most clubs below Step 2. But where's your evidence that they will?

Edited by Beano

It's not always that easy, though. The needs of other clubs need to be taken into account, as do those of "host" clubs where groundshares exist. Lazarus has been doing the League's fixtures for nigh on 30 years, I think he knows a bit more about it than you do!

Clearly not

and then the issue of 'WHAT IF' flights home are cancelled, weather issues grounding flights or missed flights due to other issues. It could cost someone their job or if self employed, a days work! Going up to St Neots on a tuesday night is not even close!

Clearly not

Well, if you can do a better job, put yourself forward for election as Fixture Secretary at the League's AGM. It's not as if the people running the League are doing it as a full-time occupation, they're volunteers like most of the people running the clubs. I'm sure the League would welcome the help!

I don't even think you'd even be able to get insurance cover for the eventuality.

Well - I suppose it IS possible but probably cost prohibitive !

and then the issue of 'WHAT IF' flights home are cancelled, weather issues grounding flights or missed flights due to other issues. It could cost someone their job or if self employed, a days work! Going up to St Neots on a tuesday night is not even close!

Cannot agree more. As I stated in a previous post, the Guernsey faithful live in this little bubble and don't really care about the smaller man! Teams will go bust!!!!