Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

I don't think this would be an option as the Airport closes at 9pm, only stays open later if flights are delayed. Plus at the moment a lot of work is being done overnight to improve the runway etc, part of an £80m upgrade to it.

Isn't there a ferry at 3am from Southampton?

I'm sure tonights has been cancelled though!

How about Guernsey agree with the League to play their Home games at Horley,then they could play Monday,Wednesday,Friday,Sunday,some of you lads will miss out on an away day,but at least the fixtures would be played.One of Guernseys sponsors are Hilton,so they could give them reduced weekly rates.

Surely that defeats the purpose of them having a ground of their own at Footes Lane?

Agreed, it's a pain, but unless we all take up Chemtrail Studies then we cannot control the weather.

Isn't there a ferry at 3am from Southampton?

There is a day ferry from Portsmouth but that leaves at 9am and takes 7 hours to cross. Return one leaves Guernsey at 5pm I believe and gets in at 6am.

I don't see it being a problem in the long run. There are enough players to field two teams if needs be so I imagine there will be some imaginative fixture scheduling whereby GFC can put out a strong team in the league and play a 2nd string in the cup (or vice versa with the vase) on the same weekend.

Now that is a sensible suggestion

7 hours you having a laugh it must be a paddle boat

It's a convential ferry, there is also a fast ferry from Poole that crosses the channel in around 3 hours.

Guernsey as far as i am aware have offered to play friday and sundays so im sure they will be ok. There are other clubs in our league that are in the same situation who have a backlog of games, but they also have reserves and youth teams also behind on games. So im sure it will be ok.

Guernsey as far as i am aware have offered to play friday and sundays so im sure they will be ok. There are other clubs in our league that are in the same situation who have a backlog of games, but they also have reserves and youth teams also behind on games. So im sure it will be ok.

Yes but they don't have rugby teams playing on there pitch

The Friday / Sunday is a viable option but only when they haven't already got games scheduled on the Saturday. There are only 2 such Saturdays before the end of April (1 of those an FA Vase SF date), so most likely these " 2 in a weekend" matches will be in May (they have the Muratti 1 of those weeks). At the moment with 6 rescheduled home games to fit in they will need the other 3 weekends in May - if they win through 2 more FA Vase rounds then another option will be needed. One thing I'm certain of, no game will take place in June. Good luck to them - trying to sort the logistics out won't be easy

This is only my observations, not an answer to the problem, but all this talk of lost money and time off work - doesn't anyone get annual leave with their jobs. Playing at this level shows great commitment for something the players are obviously keen and passionate about - so is it really too much to ask players to take a days leave just once in a season? I would imagine that the Guernsey players and management must use up a lot of their annual leave to play midweek ( or even weekend ) matches. I understand that not everyone will be able to travel, but I am sure most will, after all it is well documented that the Guernsey midweek team is not as strong as it's Saturday team. If you have a team in your league, then surely you want to have as level a playing field as possible for ALL teams, and if games are lost to weather ( beyond anyone's control) or due to progress in The FA Vase or FA Cup ( which should surely be celebrated) then I think it would be unfair to penalise any team in that situation be it Guernsey or any other team. As I say these are only my observations, and it could become a problem, which I am glad I do not have to solve - I only hope whatever method is used it is FAIR to EVERYONE.

What about self employed people?

One way or another all the fixtures will be played, I am sure there will be some difficult hurdles to overcome but that is part of the challenge of being involved in Football.

Do you think that the CCL, the FA and indeed GFC had not given due consideration to the possibility of a fixture backlog before agreeing to GFC participation in the non-league pyramid?

It is a shame that so many look at the negatives rather than all the positives that GFC have given CCL. All the various club officials, players etc. that I have actually met have been so positive and the players that have actually visited the island have been nothing but positive. Shame some on here obviously have a real issue with GFC and some have not even visited the club.

Edited by HKP

Problem is HKP what is the point of taking an understrength team to play mid week get your arses kicked upset your employer and lose money at work,take the positives out of that if you can find any,it also looks like Guernsey will probably win the league because of it and thats a shame because they are a good side.

How about Guernsey agree with the League to play their Home games at Horley,then they could play Monday,Wednesday,Friday,Sunday,some of you lads will miss out on an away day,but at least the fixtures would be played.One of Guernseys sponsors are Hilton,so they could give them reduced weekly rates.

Oddly enough, Smudger, this WAS discussed, (seriously) in the Meadowbank bar a few days ago and it seemed a possible way forward.