Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chertsey Town

Weeble

This just shows the sign of the times, non-league football is becoming too expensive for a variety of reasons and the commitment required when jumping from Step 5 to Step 4 appears to some to be too big a jump.  In the CCL it is very rare you need to take the afternoon of work to attend a midweek game, but a common occurance in the Southern League.  It also shows, as I think we all know, that the sugar daddy is all very well until they get bored.  Would Chertsey have applied for promotion if they had known that Spencer was not going to stick around (not digging at Spencer for wanting to try his hand higher up, or Chertsey as you can never know one week to the next what happens in football if anyone tries to accuse me of doing so)?

It is well known that the non-league pyramid needs a radical overhaul but unfortunately I cannot ever see it happening.

I think the pyramid is fine down to Conf North and South except that play offs to Conf Prem should be one off matches.

Steps 4 to 5 need a radical overhaul (it is too complex and imbalanced) while steps 6 and 7 needs more flexibility, especially regarding lights. These last two levels should be the stepping stone into semi-professionalism, particularly for young up and coming players, and for those clubs with the ambition to go higher. Those clubs that are content at that level (mostly by being realistic) should be encouraged and supported more not penalised by the FA and their leagues for issues beyond their control and/or finances. We, as the custodians of football, should support clubs like Worcester Park, Farleigh Rovers and Sheerwater to stay at step 6 in the future. Basically, lights should not be compulsory at step 6.

I think the pyramid is fine down to Conf North and South except that play offs to Conf Prem should be one off matches.

Steps 4 to 5 need a radical overhaul (it is too complex and imbalanced) while steps 6 and 7 needs more flexibility, especially regarding lights. These last two levels should be the stepping stone into semi-professionalism, particularly for young up and coming players, and for those clubs with the ambition to go higher. Those clubs that are content at that level (mostly by being realistic) should be encouraged and supported more not penalised by the FA and their leagues for issues beyond their control and/or finances. We, as the custodians of football, should support clubs like Worcester Park, Farleigh Rovers and Sheerwater to stay at step 6 in the future. Basically, lights should not be compulsory at step 6.

Loving the last line.

16 team divisions at Step 6, 20 team at Step 5 and possibly Step 4.  Another sensible thought in my opinion.

Maybe the way forward is to adopt the South Park/Spelthorne approach slowly but surely.Facilities being the number 1 priority before paying players.Does make me laugh though the comment about 'should support other clubs' when will you all wake up,its dog eat dog even at this level bar the odd exception,Horley,Hartley Wintney,Cobham,at least they have raised their heads above the parapet and supported others.Take Chertsey's previous owner,if he really cared about them,surely he could of loaned them players to help them out,did he NO.Likewise he could of helped Mole Valley out by offering Phil Page to return to them,did he NO.Reason,no one helps anyone out,unless there is something in it for them.

Disagree with the last part Smudge. Spencer has helped out Chertsey in the past with players since moving to Farnbro. Unfortunately he's got his own problems & restrictions there and it is of course important to look after your own club first. If he could help, I know he would.

This is not a personal attack against Spencer Day but I wouldn't want him anywhere near any club I supported.

Not the answer but Godalming,Guildford city and Chertsey slide over to ryman that wuld make it more local with both waltons,Merstham and Chipstead too??

There needs to be more planning and flexibility in these leagues,with greenford we had to travel to st ives on Tuesday nite!!

Try this for a radical overhaul CC.

It reduces travelling, introduces playoffs at our level and also allows for the possibility of a second promotion place as well as reducing the number of dead matches towards the end of the season.

I've been working on this for a while now in conjunction with another colleague, and it is certainly true that only minor tweaks will happen in the near future. As for whether Croydon or Wembley get moved, and I'm certain Croydon will be, then that is unfortunate, but at least under this new system the travelling is reduced whichever Section you are placed in.

There are certain things you will never change, like the F.A. ground requirements, but this suggestion covers most of the other faults within the pyramid and deals with them.

http://www.eefconline.co.uk/base15.html

If that was put before our club, I am pretty certain we would fold the club up.

The travel logistics for us would be awful.

If you swapped us with East Grinstead or Lingfield I'd go for that!

Our place north of the A3 corridor should be considered.

The basic theory including play offs is very good though.

Edited by Chris Clapham

The NPL statement did throw a spanner in the works... the team "deemed" to be bottom might be classified as such because they resigned, expunging a record isn't required.  This happened in the Central Division a couple of years ago when Atherstone resigned well before the end of the season, then finished second bottom anyway but were deemed to have finished last because, having resigned, they were then ineligible for a reprieve.

The FA said some time ago they wouldn't reprieve clubs that finished last in the table but have now been contradicted by the NPL's statement.  When Ashford were offered a reprieve in 2010, it came so late that it was conditional on going into the Southern League Premier Division, which at that time would have been financial suicide. This is an entirely different scenario. 

GF is right that if we get a point more than Chertsey do on Saturday, we would be in line for any within-division reprieve. 

But Beano, do Ashford (Mx) acxtually want to stay in the Southern League ? I've heard that that don't and want to go in the CCL 'cos of travelling ?  If this carries on, what a league the CCL Premier will be next season !  I understand that Guildford are pleased to get relegated as they too wanted to go back into the CCL.

Whilst the league was quite light this season (South Park took their opportunity) it will be alot stronger next season. I believe we may see some surprises fighting relegation next season....

So the CCL are quietly going about their stuff and with the introduction of Guernsey over previous seasons giving the league a high profile its getting bigger and stronger ! 

Well done CCL......its going to be interesting thats for sure... ;)

Try this for a radical overhaul CC.

It reduces travelling, introduces playoffs at our level and also allows for the possibility of a second promotion place as well as reducing the number of dead matches towards the end of the season.

I've been working on this for a while now in conjunction with another colleague, and it is certainly true that only minor tweaks will happen in the near future. As for whether Croydon or Wembley get moved, and I'm certain Croydon will be, then that is unfortunate, but at least under this new system the travelling is reduced whichever Section you are placed in.

There are certain things you will never change, like the F.A. ground requirements, but this suggestion covers most of the other faults within the pyramid and deals with them.

http://www.eefconline.co.uk/base15.html

Rich me eyes aint what they used to be but could not find Dorking or Epsom and Ewell in the proposed Leagues,do you know something we do not? Dorking Wanderers and Epsom Athletic were though.

Disagree with the last part Smudge. Spencer has helped out Chertsey in the past with players since moving to Farnbro. Unfortunately he's got his own problems & restrictions there and it is of course important to look after your own club first. If he could help, I know he would.

Are you still going to be managing JJ surely the club didn't have relegation in mind when you were appointed,not just Chertsey but it seems ok now for managers to not do so well,boy how things have changed since my cove days LOL.

How long ago was I appointed Duncs? 3 seasons we've held our own in a division boasting minimum budgets of £1000 a week and up to. £3000 a week. We faced a Dunstable striker last week who's wages were more than our whole expenses. Punched above our weight for 3 years and sadly going back to a level that suits the clubs current financial position. The whole club has done a great job in maintaining step 4 status for so long but now it is the right time to be rejoining the CCL. Whether it is with me or not , is not my decision.

not having a go mate just asking the question,always amased how everyone knows what the budget from other clubs is i just think its a load of rubbish and makes people feel better when they lose,it will be just as difficult in the CCL Prem don't think it will be easy or you will get a shock. 

It's no secret what other teams budgets are give or take a few quid.

You may remember Duncs but I spent 11 years in the CCL and it's a tough division to get out of so know what the level is like. With Guildford and Chertsey in it next season - even tougher!

Thanks for the lesson though .

Well at least there won't be too much speculation about Chertseys budget next season ;) What will BG have to talk about now? Oh yeah, someone mentioned play offs in another thread.

It's no secret what other teams budgets are give or take a few quid.

You may remember Duncs but I spent 11 years in the CCL and it's a tough division to get out of so know what the level is like. With Guildford and Chertsey in it next season - even tougher!

Thanks for the lesson though .

Lesson what lesson,is that a way of you telling me you have learnt it all,don't go all big time it don't suit you and you have to have won something apart from relegation to be taken seriously,