Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Potters Bar Town v Enfield Town

seemgee

Congratulations and well done everyone on an excellent result at Potters Bar this afternoon. Andy and our team did us proud, registering another away win and a clean sheet, before our final League match next Saturday, at home to Bognor, and the play-offs. Lots to look forward to, and a good chance for Town to make history !

I couldn't get to the match today, but I see that the attendance at Potters Bar was 562. Bearing in mind their average home attendance before today was 240, I guess there was substantial Town support at the match, which probably matched or bettered the home support, and would have really lifted our guys throughout the game. Well done all !

Todays results, which unexpectedly saw Worthing, Bishops Stortford, and Hornchurch all lose, goes to prove that, on their day, anyone can beat anybody in the Ryman League Premier Division. We have had an excellent season, which has exceeded many peoples expectation, and reaching the play-offs is a great achievement, in this highly competitive League. To finish the season on a high, we need three more top draw performances from our guys, starting next Saturday, and finishing with a win in the play-off final.

Can we do it?  You bet we can! Let's continue to give our guys maximum support and encouragement as they battle to deliver the results needed.

Good luck everyone.  COYT

4 hours ago, Albury_Walker said:

See you in the P/ O final ?

Glad to hear you're rooting for us in the Semi!

Interesting to read Stortford fans blaming today's loss on the pitch, Cheshunt's 'industrial' style of play and their missing players. Surely you've got to have the psychological edge now though?

A far more solid performance than the prior 2 games ...

We set up with 3 at the back - with Taaffe and Bilal wide .. (nice to see Andy reads the forum and took my suggestion on board!!!)

PK, LDV and Cunnington back in, with Sam & Mo subs (both a surprise to me!)

We mixed it up a lot more, and tried to pass it around a lot more 

LDV with the breakthrough after about 20 mins, scoring well from the edge of the box ...

We looked more solid the way we set up, and Nathan didnt have too many saves to make in the game .. and we harrassed and chased around, some good tackles and blocks

A  lovely Sam flick for Mo to end his drought was a nice end to the game ... 

LDV & PK looked more like their old selves, and I thought Taafe had another good game for us .. Bilal did ok but seems to be lacking in confidence - Ryan put in a good shift when he took over early in the 2nd half 

So the play off 4 are decided with Cheshunt winning v Stortford, whilst Hornchurch also lost! Had we taken just 1 more point in the previous 2 then 3rd would be in our hands. We can still do it if Wethers does us a favour and takes points off Hornchurch, but Bognor wont be easy. 

Regardless, I am now thinking that perhaps our set up will be better suited to playing away rather than at home v Hornchurch (although your stats suggest otherwise CC) .. and yes I would far rather play Cheshunt at home than Stortford away in the final !

The support was fantastic throughout and the players have commented about it on twitter - it is absolutely 1st class  (... but a bit less swearing wouldnt go amiss ?)

Hopefully Scott's injury not too bad? And any news on Harold? And assume we will have sub gk on the bench for the play offs which means someone else wont be involved on the day .. tough decisions!

9 hours ago, Raingod said:

A far more solid performance than the prior 2 games ...

We set up with 3 at the back - with Taaffe and Bilal wide .. (nice to see Andy reads the forum and took my suggestion on board!!!)

PK, LDV and Cunnington back in, with Sam & Mo subs (both a surprise to me!)

We mixed it up a lot more, and tried to pass it around a lot more 

LDV with the breakthrough after about 20 mins, scoring well from the edge of the box ...

We looked more solid the way we set up, and Nathan didnt have too many saves to make in the game .. and we harrassed and chased around, some good tackles and blocks

A  lovely Sam flick for Mo to end his drought was a nice end to the game ... 

LDV & PK looked more like their old selves, and I thought Taafe had another good game for us .. Bilal did ok but seems to be lacking in confidence - Ryan put in a good shift when he took over early in the 2nd half 

So the play off 4 are decided with Cheshunt winning v Stortford, whilst Hornchurch also lost! Had we taken just 1 more point in the previous 2 then 3rd would be in our hands. We can still do it if Wethers does us a favour and takes points off Hornchurch, but Bognor wont be easy. 

Regardless, I am now thinking that perhaps our set up will be better suited to playing away rather than at home v Hornchurch (although your stats suggest otherwise CC) .. and yes I would far rather play Cheshunt at home than Stortford away in the final !

The support was fantastic throughout and the players have commented about it on twitter - it is absolutely 1st class  (... but a bit less swearing wouldnt go amiss ?)

Hopefully Scott's injury not too bad? And any news on Harold? And assume we will have sub gk on the bench for the play offs which means someone else wont be involved on the day .. tough decisions!

Looks like you need to join the coaching staff?

23 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

Glad to hear you're rooting for us in the Semi!

Interesting to read Stortford fans blaming today's loss on the pitch, Cheshunt's 'industrial' style of play and their missing players. Surely you've got to have the psychological edge now though?

Bog off . Come on you Urchins ?????

Raingod if we had won more games getting a better goal difference we would have been in a much better chance at being champions . As I have noted on here before we needed more goals to boost our goal difference  poor defending  didn’t help

Hi OT,

Agree that we could have won more than we have.

Looking at the table now, I think it's fair to say Worthing are deserved winners - 13 pts clear of us and a GD over 20 better than ours! Plus they have played exceptionally well, and have been up there for the last 2 cancelled seasons .. yes we have given away some games this season, but overall play offs is fair for us .. At one point I did genuinely think we were gonna win it before our Feb blip! 

Seeing we are only a few points off 2nd, and level on points with 3rd shows how close we have been .. had we beaten Brightlingsea and Cray in the last week then we would now be in 2nd !!

However I have now talked myself into believing that we will win at Hornchurch and then have Cheshunt at home in the final!

We could spend a lot of time going through "what if?" scenarios, but ultimately over the course of a season you can't argue that we haven't finished where we deserved to on merit. Yes our style of play isn't the most attractive, but with Cunnington and Cass, at least we have the personnel to play direct football, and finishing 4th (or 3rd) is a fair reflection on the management and the players, and they deserve a lot of credit. As for the play offs, who knows what will happen over 1 or 2 games - as we've seen, anyone can beat anyone else on their day, so I think I'll sit on the fence as usual and give us a 1 in 4 chance of promotion ?