Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FAO Non MyFC Fleet Fans

Jeff

Originally Posted By: rsheard
I'm still with Tony on this one. The members should all select their team with the understanding that Liam has the final say. But this process has to go both ways; we have never had comprehensive, or even accurate information regarding players' status in the selector area, and Liam has never discussed team selection with us in general, or specifically for any one game.

Even with the very small numbers of people selecting teams now, the teams are very close to what Liam is fielding anyway, and would be even closer if we had injury information ahead of time. So the PTT issue for me is almost irrelevant, but points to the information gap that exists and goes a long way toward explaining why the members are apathetic.

This is absolutely correct Rob - you've summed it up exactly, as ever.

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
Originally Posted By: doheochai
Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast

No it isn't Dom, many members are prevented from picking the team because there is a, albeit very slim, chance that the members choice option will win and so we are forced to vote for the let Liam pick option.
If the option of Liam not having the final say was removed then I am sure many more members would be empowered to use the software.

Interesting point Tony

and I don't see any reason not to try it. It's not like the members choice will win any vote.

strange exchange of opinions there from the marxist myfcer who wants to own the club and pick the team and the hard line fleet supporter who supposedly doesn't.. !!

the members will never pick the team guys...you both know that so what is the point of continuing the discusssion and sticking your heads in the sand....or perhaps you have alternative agendas....? smile

You really struggle with understanding the written word don't you UU. Which bit of 'If the option of Liam not having the final say was removed' do you not grasp the meaning of?

Of course the members will never have the final say in the team that takes the field but there is absolutely no reason why the members shouldn't make their selections and present the results to Liam for his consideration when he picks the team.
As has been pointed out ad infinitum the team will be 95% the same as Liams anyway so he can take their advice on that 95% and explain the other 5%.
They might even get it right and he could tell them that it is their team that is playing that day but the important thing is that he will retain the final decision.

If that method of PTT was adopted I would certainly use the team selector but all the time that there is the slightest possibility that Liam won't have the final say I am forced to give my vote to Liam.

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast
You really struggle with understanding the written word don't you UU. Which bit of 'If the option of Liam not having the final say was removed' do you not grasp the meaning of?

Of course the members will never have the final say in the team that takes the field but there is absolutely no reason why the members shouldn't make their selections and present the results to Liam for his consideration when he picks the team.
As has been pointed out ad infinitum the team will be 95% the same as Liams anyway so he can take their advice on that 95% and explain the other 5%.
They might even get it right and he could tell them that it is their team that is playing that day but the important thing is that he will retain the final decision.

If that method of PTT was adopted I would certainly use the team selector but all the time that there is the slightest possibility that Liam won't have the final say I am forced to give my vote to Liam.

no dave/slarti... I don't struggle with anything (and please don't patronise me as you don't have the whereofitall to do so except on a forum as for certain you haven't got a clue about how to run a football club or how to deal with the current problems that could close one) but I do read your posts on here and on the other side and I actually wonder sometimes how you can be so duplicitous in your desire to please everyone....

quite frankly I think you sold out a while back for self congratulation and your judgement on what the members will put up with is frankly quite astoundingly arrogant...come february you may not have a club and yet your prime concern is to fck around with self serving posts that appease your old mates on here and your new ones on the cesspit.....

Spend time in our garden centre, with its many varieties of shrubs and plants - plus hanging baskets (seasonal). Add that finishing touch to your garden with our wide selection of Rustic garden furniture. Also for sale at the farm are plants, shrubs & hanging baskets, free range chicken and duck eggs, Rabbits and Guinea Pigs. Hutches can also be purchased here.

What are your suggestions...?

I won't try & emulate Dom & answer your suggestions from the previous page, paragraph by paragraph. However, I do think you have hit certain truths head on.

Fleet fans have to accept that MyFC is a fact. It is utterly pointless, in my opinion, fighting it or wishing for it to fail. If it fails, at best we drop several levels & become part time; Liam goes & so does the entire squad. If anyone believes that is better than what we have at present, then - ok, wait for it to go belly up & muck in with building the club again. Otherwise we have to work together now. There is a load of old c*ck talked on the MyFC forum (just as there is on here) but a bloody great deal of sense too. There is a lot of talent hidden amongst those 30,000 people. Stereotyping or ridiculing them all is self defeating & stupid.

Sometimes conflicts just blow over, which is perhaps how the powers that be in MyFC see this current state of affairs, but I think you are right in seeing this as a boil that has to be lanced now. I'd like to see a meeting, a forum if you like, at the Fleet or Fleet Leisure, or even a grander stage, where all the main players from MyFC got a chance to talk to the supporters, & maybe some members too, about their vision for the Club & where supporters get the chance to put their questions. We haven't had that. Bryan, Jason, Roly & co fielded one before Christmas, but we need Will Brooks, David Davis, John Moules, representatives from the Board, Liam & the players. Maybe the thing could even go out on a live feed so people who cannot attend can watch - possibly even participate. It couldn't be a free for all, but it couldn't be a stage managed stitch up either.

Next January/February is utterly crucial. As you say, it's no good just hoping people will renew. New people have to be encouraged to join - & that, Patman & Wobbly Wayne, is why you should too. Without MyFC members, the Fleet cannot now survive in its present form. Equally importantly, we have to hold on to those people who have no real affintity with the Fleet but believe in the idea of a club run by the fans. If we think they are all mad & it's a good laugh to ridicule them until they b*gger off we are doomed. It's also no good if they feel, as quite a few do at present, that they are being fobbed off with the pretence of democracy. Many thousands of people bought into an idea which has the potential to transform our club because of the huge amount of cash their collective belief produced. We have to hold onto that income - but in return they have to have something which honestly & realistically ressembles what they bought into. This has to be something that will work within the real world, but pays more than lip service to the project they signed up to.

Finding this middle way has to be thrashed out now, in a way that people feel involved & respected. Tinkering at the edges is no good; the nettle has to be grasped & to be seen to have been grasped before those renewals are due. It won't happen amongst all those confusing & interminable threads on the other place - a much more direct, simple & uncluttered way has to be found - which is why we need the brains that undoubtedly exist, not only out there amongst those 30,000 people, but quite possibly within our own litle asylum too.

Now that should have sorted out any insomnia problems for anyone else still struggling to sleep at this hour. countingsheep

Graham S

Graham, are you a MyFC member? If you are, please stand for the vacant Board seat which has just come about due to the resignation of Chris P. You'd be a real asset to the Society Board and to the members as a whole. Great posts today, thanks for the good sense and for extending the hand across the "divide". x

Graham - you have made some of the best sense I've seen on this forum for a long while; your posts here have been absolutely spot on - I just hope the majority of people can also see the sense you're talking; it's time to end the petty squabbles and mud slinging and pull together for the good of the club we are all supporting.

The only way MYFC could have worked was via direct and fast democracy as absolute as possible.The average MYFC member is internetbased.Without being fast and direct people lose interest via internet.

Now they have a controled forum,a bureaucratic way regarding proposals and an apathystruck membership.

Personally,I fail to realise just how WB and others in power ever thought that would work.

There is 20K plus members that doesn

Originally Posted By: Darter
Graham, are you a MyFC member? If you are, please stand for the vacant Board seat which has just come about due to the resignation of Chris P. You'd be a real asset to the Society Board and to the members as a whole. Great posts today, thanks for the good sense and for extending the hand across the "divide". x

I am a MyFC member, even have 3 articles to my name, but I'm not surprised you were not aware - my appearances are rather fitful. Which is why I couldn't possibly stand for the Board now or in the foreseeable future; I simply wouldn't have the time to do the job properly. As a secondary teacher with a senior management position, I just about have enough time & energy left to get to home matches & drink far too much before & after. If Gillian Shepherd hadn't put an end to our rather cushy traditional early retirement packages, I might be in a position to consider it about now; as it is, it's nose to the chalkface for another decade or so. Still, this time of year isn't too bad, though I did pop in today to sluice out my hole of an office.

Personally, I think 2 people immediately spring to mind:

Yorkfox: what a doer that guy is. No chance of him failing to deliver.

Dom: just to wind up the Wicked Uncle & Les - no, seriously, the guy has a great eye for detail & organisation; mind you, he's a teacher too, I believe, but maybe they go a bit easier on them over the water.

Cheers

Graham S

Originally Posted By: Graham S

What are your suggestions...?

. As you say, it's no good just hoping people will renew. New people have to be encouraged to join - & that, Patman & Wobbly Wayne, is why you should too.
Graham S

For me it is and always has been simple,
if PTT officially dies then I join MYFC, if it doesn't I don't.
If PTT comes in, I stop going to games, if it doesn't I carry on going.
I don't care much for people telling me what I should do.

But other than that , a fine post.

The Fleet have and will continue to get their money out of me, in one guise or another whether it has been buying shares, sponsorship or handing over to player pledges. My 35 quid ( sorry 27.50 ) will not make that much of a difference.

But I agree the MYFC 30,000 need to be brought into the fold better than they have. As i) there is potentially many talented football fans out there whom can play a great role in building our club in some guise or another and ii) they need to be getting something for their investment.

If I was in MYFC I would be petitioning for a change in the make up of the MYFC board, so that it can not get dominated by locals. Some say it is not democratic, but they should have insisted on quotas. ie at least 2 overseas members, 2 from more 'x' many miles away. And that half of board were members of MYFC before Fleet were the chosen club.

its not too late to make these changes , or at least put them to their members to vote on, for next years elections. ( I presume each Board member is up for election each year ? )

As you can see I don't want it to fail, I want it to flourish and build a club the football community at large can hold up as an example of how a club should operate.
If only that pesky PTT didn't get in the way..