Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Amanda Knox - Guilty or Innocent

An interesting article in today's West Seattle Herald, describing our heroine as 'a Political football':

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2013/03/26/news/amanda-knox-back-railroad-job-hell-investigator-1

An interesting article in today's West Seattle Herald, describing our heroine as 'a Political football':

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2013/03/26/news/amanda-knox-back-railroad-job-hell-investigator-1

All I could find was some article over a year old. Still think the dirty old slapper is as guilty as hell though.

I think 'Political football' sums up Amanda's plight to a tee, it's quite apt isn't it with this being predominantly a football website/forum.

Here's a very interesting link folks stating in no uncertain terms that it should have been an open and shut case whereby a burglar (Rudy Guede) breaks into the flat through an upper window; a resident (Meredith) comes home unexpectedly and the burglar fatally stabs and sexually assaults her, the burglar flees leaving his prints and DNA at the scene, the burglar is later found, arrested and convicted, no credible evidence whatsoever points to anyone else, indeed the victim could have quite easily been Amanda herself had she returned to the flat instead of Meredith.

The excellent article is also extremely critical of the Italian Justice system which, according to the World Bank’s annual report in 2007, ranks 155th out of 178 Countries surveyed for efficiency of justice, it must be even lower now some eight years later. Italy currently has a backlog of around nine million legal cases, 5.5 million civil and 3.4 million criminal, the State paid €84million in compensation for miscarriages of justice and legal delays in 2011 alone, another €46million was paid out to people un-justly thrown in jail such as Amanda and Raffaele. Perhaps the worst statistic of all though is that there are 1.39 Italian Judges for every 10,000 inhabitants in Italy compared with the average of 0.91 in other European Countries. I rest my case:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/amanda-knox-italian-justice-on-trial/14599#.U-dMfkBXe9v

Another old article from - judging by the comments - 6 months ago. 

Perhaps these things are best left to 'Manda's personal PR team who at least make a coordinated if just as desperate an effort.

the Italian Justice system which, according to the World Bank’s annual report in 2007, ranks 155th out of 178 Countries surveyed for efficiency of justice, it must be even lower now some eight years later. Italy currently has a backlog of around nine million legal cases, 5.5 million civil and 3.4 million criminal, the State paid €84million in compensation for miscarriages of justice and legal delays in 2011 alone, another €46million was paid out to people un-justly thrown in jail such as Amanda and Raffaele. Perhaps the worst statistic of all though is that there are 1.39 Italian Judges for every 10,000 inhabitants in Italy compared with the average of 0.91 in other European Countries

Loosely - It's funny how you don't touch on any of the above facts

Sorry to jump in there Loose

Here's a report showing Italy 29th - Dated 2014

http://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index

I thank you for jumping in there cup of tea. Yes, I note that out of 99 countries in the Rule of Law Index Italy is 26th (not 29th - Greece), The US 20th, the UK 10th and Germany 9th, with Denmark 1st.

It would appear that Denmark is perfect. It's almost a shame that Meredith Kercher wasn't killed in Denmark, the case would be over and Knox and Sollecito would be serving their time albeit a shorter one.

One wonders what sort of sentence would be handed down by a US judge, you do hear of the silliest sentences involving hundreds of years.

I wonder if you could find which system reported the most miscarriages of justice cup of tea.

Maths was never my strong point :)

We can't all be maths nerds cup of tea. Oh I see you took the figures from page 172.

I wonder if you noticed that in both corruption in the judiciary and police services that the US scored more poorly than Italy cup of tea? Some amazing statistics available.

Edited by Loose

I thank you for jumping in there cup of tea. Yes, I note that out of 99 countries in the Rule of Law Index Italy is 26th (not 29th - Greece), The US 20th, the UK 10th and Germany 9th, with Denmark 1st.

It would appear that Denmark is perfect. It's almost a shame that Meredith Kercher wasn't killed in Denmark, the case would be over and Knox and Sollecito would be serving their time albeit a shorter one.

One wonders what sort of sentence would be handed down by a US judge, you do hear of the silliest sentences involving hundreds of years.

I wonder if you could find which system reported the most miscarriages of justice cup of tea.

Sounds like a script from Blackadder :)

the Italian Justice system which, according to the World Bank’s annual report in 2007, ranks 155th out of 178 Countries surveyed for efficiency of justice, it must be even lower now some eight years later. Italy currently has a backlog of around nine million legal cases, 5.5 million civil and 3.4 million criminal, the State paid €84million in compensation for miscarriages of justice and legal delays in 2011 alone, another €46million was paid out to people un-justly thrown in jail such as Amanda and Raffaele. Perhaps the worst statistic of all though is that there are 1.39 Italian Judges for every 10,000 inhabitants in Italy compared with the average of 0.91 in other European Countries

Loosely - Never mind the over rated Blackadder, you still haven't commented on the above and that the victim could have quite easily been Amanda herself had she returned to the flat instead of Meredith.

Loosely - Never mind the over rated Blackadder, you still haven't commented on the above and that the victim could have quite easily been Amanda herself had she returned to the flat instead of Meredith.

Hey Rhodesly - I wonder how those figures compare to the US. Do you think you could find those eh?

Loosely - For your information Amanda and Sollecito were held in custody for a year before they were formally charged, in the Land of the Free (USA) suspects have to be charged within two days or released, in Italy, when you are in custody you are unable to speak to the media or defend yourself and you are unable to liaise effectively with your lawyers to prepare your case. The Prosecution in Perugia took full advantage of this, they continued to play tricks on our heroine and Sollecito in order to pressurise them into implicating themselves and each other.

You got those figures yet on the US for comparison yet Rhodesly? - No, I thought that would be an issue.

Loosely - In Italy a complicated, unlikely crime scenario such as this one involving our heroine is much preferred to a straightforward one, the Courts are untouchable and provide a counterbalance to corruptible and frequently changing Governments. Just to recap, Amanda and Sollecito were convicted in 2009 and rightly acquitted on appeal in 2011, in 2013 however the Italian Supreme Court overturned the acquittal and ordered a fresh appeal at which it demanded that a guilty verdict be reinstated, following a brief 'kangaroo' trial the Appeal Court happily complied. Respected American commentator Tom Zupancic commented ‘the take home message is that this Court never had any intention whatsoever of providing a fair and impartial appeal trial where “reasonable doubt” could be a factor, rather, it was simply a judicial formality, a staged exercise to provide a format to announce a predetermined decision'. I rest my case.