Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

The GFC directors have confirmed that it is Marcus Gayle that is managing the AFC side coming over here.

Therefore it will no doubt be a mixture of reserve and youth players.

In fairness, it would have been better in my opinion for Guernsey to have accepted an offer from one of the many CCL sides - I know we offered - to travel across the water for a friendly. This would have at least given the CCL a chance to get some feedback from one of their clubs. The game is now just another friendly - against a reserve side - whereas playing a CCL side would have potentially been of major

benefit to all concerned.

I must add though, I think it is good for the CCL to have invited them in - and we certainly voted yes - but to ignore the many offers they must have had is, for me, a PR error.

It matters not how good, or not Guernsey are. They are in, so live with it !

If I had the money, now that I'm retired, I would spend all summer there. Unfortunately, this country seems to have a big downer on working class retired people. END OF THAT RANT !

Personally, I wish them well and will watch their progress with interest. Hopefully, we will greet them to Meadowbank next season.

(dons tin-hat !)

In fairness, it would have been better in my opinion for Guernsey to have accepted an offer from one of the many CCL sides - I know we offered - to travel across the water for a friendly. This would have at least given the CCL a chance to get some feedback from one of their clubs. The game is now just another friendly - against a reserve side - whereas playing a CCL side would have potentially been of major

I must add though, I think it is good for the CCL to have invited them in - and we certainly voted yes - but to ignore the many offers they must have had is, for me, a PR error.

Hi Manager 50 - as this venture is the start of something very new for Guernsey I gather that it was thought that AFC Wimbledon, after their start in the CCL and amazing success, would provide a very fitting first fixture (dont forget this is GFCs first game ever) as they are what what we all aspire to be

The friendlies will be down to the Manager who I think would prefer not to play any CCL sides until the league commences, so Knaphill will be the first to have news when they return to the UK in a couple of weeks. Also due to the Island Games it would have been very difficult to fit in games in the UK, that is why the pre season friendlies are being played in Guernsey

gather Guernsey are planning 3 pre season friendlies, obviously Wimbledon, Bristol City and another (not sure who) but the players have been continually playing for over 3 years now without a break so match fitness is not an issue - Guernsey are fully ready now. As I stated in an earlier post there are a further 5 players, in my opinion, who are almost automatic selections who decided that the 3 years was too long without a break, decided to spend some time with their families and therefore did not go to the Island Games. They have now joined the squad and are in full training

We have agreed to a 1pm kick off against Guernsey on the 20th August.

We felt that there was potential for us to attract additional spectators from other local clubs and also ground hoppers. This will be Guernsey's first Saturday CCL match on the mainland, so it might be of interest to others. It will also allow us to catch up with Steve and Mark and their players in the bar after the game before their flight home.

Personally I've been very impressed with the presentation and planning they have put into this project and I'm looking forward to speaking with them to find out how things are going.

From a Guernsey FC perspective this will also allow them to fly over and back on the same day.

We have agreed to a 1pm kick off against Guernsey on the 20th August.

We felt that there was potential for us to attract additional spectators from other local clubs and also ground hoppers. This will be Guernsey's first Saturday CCL match on the mainland, so it might be of interest to others

I think you could well be right. Where are the nearest grounds to your Daniel?

Hi Manager 50 - as this venture is the start of something very new for Guernsey I gather that it was thought that AFC Wimbledon, after their start in the CCL and amazing success, would provide a very fitting first fixture (dont forget this is GFCs first game ever) as they are what what we all aspire to be

The friendlies will be down to the Manager who I think would prefer not to play any CCL sides until the league commences, so Knaphill will be the first to have news when they return to the UK in a couple of weeks. Also due to the Island Games it would have been very difficult to fit in games in the UK, that is why the pre season friendlies are being played in Guernsey

gather Guernsey are planning 3 pre season friendlies, obviously Wimbledon, Bristol City and another (not sure who) but the players have been continually playing for over 3 years now without a break so match fitness is not an issue - Guernsey are fully ready now. As I stated in an earlier post there are a further 5 players, in my opinion, who are almost automatic selections who decided that the 3 years was too long without a break, decided to spend some time with their families and therefore did not go to the Island Games. They have now joined the squad and are in full training

Our 3rd Friendly is Away @ Horley Town.

G vs AFC ... What a crowd that could be ! Bigger than some football league attendances !

I'm not expecting a huge crowd for this game. We will prob get more for our 1st competitive league game.

My predication for the AFC Wimbledon game - maybe 1,000 ? I hope I'm wrong and we have more though.

G vs AFC ... What a crowd that could be ! Bigger than some football league attendances !

I'm not expecting a huge crowd for this game. We will prob get more for our 1st competitive league game.

My predication for the AFC Wimbledon game - maybe 1,000 ? I hope I'm wrong and we have more though.

GD I didnt realise we were playing Horley but it is a good call as they have been so willing to help with car parking etc. There seems to be a lot of people on here who wanted GFC to play a CCL club so this will also sort out this potential PR issue. Vancey did tell me that he did not want to play any team from the league before the season but must have changed his mind - I am pleased that he has and that he has chosen Horley who seem to have supported and even helped in the set up of all of this

I think we will get an awful lot more than 1000 for the Wimbledon game even if they are only bringing their youngsters. The publicity machine is already running and with the important inclusion of Rob Batiste to the whole thing will ensure it gets the coverage. Sportingbet are determined for this to be a fully supported community thing so I think they are literally going to go all out to ensure all GFC games are really well supported and this being the first one I think it will be a real party

GD I didnt realise we were playing Horley but it is a good call as they have been so willing to help with car parking etc. There seems to be a lot of people on here who wanted GFC to play a CCL club so this will also sort out this potential PR issue. Vancey did tell me that he did not want to play any team from the league before the season but must have changed his mind

Well strictly speaking there aren't from the same league...they are CCL Prem not CCL1. :)

GD I didnt realise we were playing Horley but it is a good call as they have been so willing to help with car parking etc. There seems to be a lot of people on here who wanted GFC to play a CCL club so this will also sort out this potential PR issue. Vancey did tell me that he did not want to play any team from the league before the season but must have changed his mind - I am pleased that he has and that he has chosen Horley who seem to have supported and even helped in the set up of all of this

I think we will get an awful lot more than 1000 for the Wimbledon game even if they are only bringing their youngsters. The publicity machine is already running and with the important inclusion of Rob Batiste to the whole thing will ensure it gets the coverage. Sportingbet are determined for this to be a fully supported community thing so I think they are literally going to go all out to ensure all GFC games are really well supported and this being the first one I think it will be a real party

I hope you are right !:)

How come guernsey are playing high profiled clubs! Le tisser connection maybe?

The Bristol City Chairman (or possibly owner) lives on Guernsey.

Thanks Trebor!

Thanks Trebor!

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_sportnews/displayarticle.asp?id=493353

Bristol City Chairman to stand down

Guernsey resident Steven Lansdown is to quit his role as the Chairman of Bristol City Football Club.

He'll leave his position on 31st May.

The self-made millionaire Lansdown says he will continue to invest money in the club, if it's appropriate.

The Channel Islands have other strong links with the club, with Bristol City funding Guernsey's School of Excellence.

Our 3rd Friendly is Away @ Horley Town.

Looking forward to it and I am sure you will enjoy your stay at Horley Town FC.