Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Step 5 Restructuring

Yes GF the I was referring to the majority of Step Five clubs, but that is a huge groundswell of opinion.

Of course Step Four clubs won't want it, but they didn't get much of a say in these things when the first four steps were determined. Likewise very few clubs get any success with their appeals because they're in the wrong place.

The FA will decide this and all we can do is as Chris Conlon did yesterday, continue to advise that this current situation is patently and clearly unfair and will have a knock on effect. Also many Step four clubs see reprieves happening too often, so they must understand how dificult it could be for any clubs who do slip down.

It would require four down to get two up across the board, and that has to be the aim ultimately, but the number four wasn't mentioned once. As to how we would get those other teams up, that wasn't discussed. The Isthmian wanted to go with 24 club divisions to allow the three to go down, but the Combined Counties were against this I was told yesterday on the premise that they were against it was because there would be less Step Five clubs in the first place. I think I've got this right anyway. I think our position needs revision here though as times have changed, especially as the FA are currently looking to get 287 into 264. If 12 more were promoted that equation would be a lot easier to work out.

Also, yes the FA Council decision is binding, but I believe that in their heart of hearts there might just be a better way out there, so they are definitely listening.

Krooner I agree that this is the way forward because without it, we will remain in a very difficult situation. If that is what the clubs want, then so be it, but I imagine there are very few step five clubs who would not want to go up, if the opportunity arose on a plate. It may place some in a difficult position, but unfortunately the map of GB isn't a perfect shape!

As for which team had the playing costs of £66k no team name was mentioned. Whilst of course it could be one in our area, it would be foolhardy to simply assume that ours is the only area of the country where teams are paying lots for players.

Going forward and having given it some thought, I think that we are best served as a League by pushing for Step Four to have 24 clubs, at least for a five year spell while the FA get step six and maybe seven sorted out. It can always be revised in the future, but this is the best way to get a third or dare I say it, a fourth relegation spot. Bear in mind that with the current number of clubs folding each season, three down from six Step Four League might well be enough to get all interested runners-up promoted anyway.

Edited by E&E Ed

Thanks Ed. The Isthmian proposal of 24 Teams for their 2 Divisions with 3 relegated each season makes perfect sense if the status quo of 14 Step 5 Leagues is maintained - there are more feeder leagues in the Isthmian area. It would still mean only 1 promotion slot though, but at least all 14 Champions would have a guaranteed promotion place, which is what the aim of the exercise was really about. Just seems to me a much simpler way than all these proposed boundary changes etc

Personally I believe it would be great for Step 5 clubs if the re-structuring led further down the line to two promotion places. If the second promotion place was decided via play off's this would make the league (in it's restructured form) much more exciting and competitive. If you look at the table now over half of the teams have no prospect of staying up or going down with 40% of the season still left.

I'm sure the vast majority of clubs would take the additional ten miles a week onto their journey in return for their chances of obtaining promotion to Step 4 doubling.

Personally I believe it would be great for Step 5 clubs if the re-structuring led further down the line to two promotion places. If the second promotion place was decided via play off's this would make the league (in it's restructured form) much more exciting and competitive. If you look at the table now over half of the teams have no prospect of staying up or going down with 40% of the season still left.

I'm sure the vast majority of clubs would take the additional ten miles a week onto their journey in return for their chances of obtaining promotion to Step 4 doubling.

I am in complete agreement

Like almost every season in the CCL come the end of January, it will dictate who's in line to be champions of CCL Prem which I can see only 2 clubs Guildford and Windsor unless something drastically goes wrong, so as I normally do, I watch the basement clubs who are fighting for their lives to stay up, as opposed to watching boring middle placed clubs going thru' the motions in their game knowing they can't go up or down.

By the way Spy Dulwich v Bognor an excellent 0-0 chances for both sides. The pace, fitness and strength was all to see if Guildford, Windsor or whoever are to get promoted....big difference these top 2 teams !

Krooner I agree that this is the way forward because without it, we will remain in a very difficult situation. If that is what the clubs want, then so be it, but I imagine there are very few step five clubs who would not want to go up, if the opportunity arose on a plate. It may place some in a difficult position, but unfortunately the map of GB isn't a perfect shape!

Sorry I don't get what you are saying here. This whole thing about it being important that there's a guaranteed 12 places for all champions is so bizarre when there's never been more than 12 eligible or wanting promotion.

And what does say to the people who run the CCL? Sounds like some don't really care what league they are in. Not saying that this league is perfect but from what I've seen there are some far worse run leagues around.

2000!

Edited by bomaya

Sorry I don't get what you are saying here. This whole thing about it being important that there's a guaranteed 12 places for all champions is so bizarre when there's never been more than 12 eligible or wanting promotion.

Witham lost on promotion two seasons ago due to points per game.

Last season there would have been 13 eligible but three failed their ground grading.

This season there could be 13 or 14 eligible - we'll have to wait and see but I'd hate to be the 13th club and lose out because a team in a different league got more points per game. That's a ridiculous way of deciding who goes up and it can only lead to step 5 clubs paying more money for players - you're not just competing against the 21 teams in your division, you're competing against two or three other teams in all the other leagues around the country as well.

As for £66K budgets - plenty of leagues have teams paying that sort of money at step 5. St. Neots last season paid £25000 (allegedly - they'll only admit to 'a five figure sum') for Stefan Moore. Kings Lynn can't be shy of a few bob either but they lost out to St. Neots last season. Plenty of teams in the Northern League are paying loads of money out as well.

Edited by VPCTFC

Because I truly believe it is the only way there will be more promotion places available is to get down to 12 leagues. In a Utopia I would like 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 but that isnt going to happen.

I really do not understand why people want the status quo where there is actually a danger of a Champion club not being promoted even with the ground grading.

People should not be scared of change.

You're right that people shouldn't be scared of change but they are. Some people are blowing this up out of all proportion regarding travelling. Look at the mileages involved. The majority of teams across the country will be playing in virtually the same leagues. People are using overall mileage figures to support their view but not mentioning these are for 24 or even 25 team divisions for the first season. That'll only be temporary and they're forgetting it'll also mean more home games = more revenue. The average mileage per away game is hardly any different for the majority of teams and plenty of teams will be seeing a drop. Virtually everyone who's in the current Hellenic who are listed in the new Central division are doing less mileage for instance.

Bring it on I say - the benefits outweigh the risks.

Do Camberley benefit by the changes by any chance?

In terms of mileage - no. We'll be doing more. In terms of not having to go on the M25 - yes.

Our reserves used to go to Leighton Buzzard and places like that, our youth go to Oxford City and places like that. Can't see why the first team shouldn't manage it.

He he. Just had a look at that.

Thatcher state funeral to be privatised

Responsible department: Cabinet Office

In keeping with the great lady's legacy, Margaret Thatcher's state funeral should be funded and managed by the private sector to offer the best value and choice for end users and other stakeholders. The undersigned believe that the legacy of the former PM deserves nothing less and that offering this unique opportunity is an ideal way to cut government expense and further prove the merits of liberalised economics Baroness Thatcher spearheaded.

28079 signatures so far.

http://epetitions.di...petitions/18914

Edited by VPCTFC

From the CWUFC point of view, it isn't so much the extra mileage, it is the type of journey.

Many of our current trips are via the A3 (actually they all start on the A3 obviously) and relatively easy to get to.

One would hope for common sense when fixtures are arranged ie Shoreham, Lancing etc home and away being played on a Saturday wherever possible.

Unlike Camberley, and others in that area, we cannot eradicate the M25 syndrome no matter what league we are in.

Still, a long way to go before we know our fate!

Witham lost on promotion two seasons ago due to points per game.

Last season there would have been 13 eligible but three failed their ground grading.

My apologies....it's happened once!!

And as more clubs get their grounds in order it will happen more and more. although 1 is completely unacceptable.