Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SATURDAY PROSPECTS

Thats my biggest fear CC and thats what makes the old "real grass and plastic" opinion safe,wouldn't it be great though to work all week and then know for near on certain that you could go and watch your favourite non league team whatever the weather,it will change but maybe not in our lifetime cos their are still to many NLNs to argue against it,sad .

Trained on 4g this morning it's the nuts

Do you know what Redders in the future ,say 30 or 40 years players will fall over laughing when they see the way our clubs and the brilliant volunteers had to battle against mother nature to get a game on when they have a far better option. Edited by duncs

I went to Gothenburg a few years ago and they had loads of 3G pitches that were free for kids etc to use. Basically instead of park pitches,they had 3G pitches that could be used all year round.

On a day like today,kids could still be able to play football,which in my eyes is a good thing.

I agree that for clubs it would provide consistent income. As more and more clubs have them though,the revenue will reach a finite maximum. Presently there is a shortage,so they would be fully booked. As more are available,it is inevitable that they can not all be used all week.

Will be interesting how this develops over the next 5-10 years

I went to watch my Grandson and Grandaughter (they are cousins and play for Cove under 8s)on Coves 3g pitch this morning and although it was bucketing down and howling a gale they were still able to play,I am biased but they are both good little players and they have the added confidence of knowing their match will be on every week,their focus is on the match not the weather,now if we can do this for our children why oh why not for the taxpayers of the country.

The usual drama on here when a few games get called off. No doubt 3G pitches are on the rise but it's not the same as grass.

As for clubs going to the wall when a few games get called off , that's rubbish. Clubs have coped for years with this and will continue to do so.

I went to watch my Grandson and Grandaughter (they are cousins and play for Cove under 8s)on Coves 3g pitch this morning and although it was bucketing down and howling a gale they were still able to play,I am biased but they are both good little players and they have the added confidence of knowing their match will be on every week,their focus is on the match not the weather,now if we can do this for our children why oh why not for the taxpayers of the country.

My team got a game on a 3g pitch yesterday morning and it was great. It got 30 boys out playing football instead of being inside going square eyed.  Also the football is technically better and unless we start providing these sort of facilities England will never get better.  Someone should pop along and look and the pitches that Youth coaches have to teach kids how to play on.

You will never beat playing on a natural surface but as time goes on 3g is the way forward in my opinion.

I would like to apologise for agreeing with Duncs though ;)

Pretty sure within the last year there was a fresh consultation by the FA regarding getting 3G allowed at the higher echelons. Anyone know what happened to that?

Fine in principal, Tris, BUT   -   Who does the financing ?

Without big sponsorship or F.A./local Council help, it just ain't going to happen !!

Fine in principal, Tris, BUT   -   Who does the financing ?

Without big sponsorship or F.A./local Council help, it just ain't going to happen !!

This subject always rears its ugly head when we have rain interrupted seasons.  

BJR you are so right.  In principal what Duncs suggests would be fine but 3G doesn't give you the same effect as grass (ie) sliding to make a goaline clearance, players don't want a massive grass burn on their thigh so do try to stop it, but on grass they will. I personally like 3G dont get me wrong but its not realistic to a certain extent, its sort of too perfect and doesn't give you the excitment of ''grass'' football with its various surfaces.. 

On the subject that every club should have one...FINANCES !  Which club can afford or get a loan for a full size 3G which costs in the region of £400-600k where 4G can go upto £800k ? Impossible !.. so it won't happen.  Even if you think the council can help, well what will the council do with (ie) Camberley and associated clubs in their vacinity, one would presume those clubs all come under the same council ?  So the council will build a 3G for each club ! 

Sorry guys, whilst all good intentions, its simply not going to happen.... anyway, we would be putting hard working groundsmen out of a job !!! 

the grass burns from 3G are not as severe as what you get at the beginning or the end of each season.

Saying that, I find that 3G is less forgiving on ankles, especially ones held together by mecanno

Played 2 games on 3G pitches this season. Seen 2 broken ankles and 1 broken leg and not a tackle in sight for any of them not including my own double break last year on one again no tackle made just controlling a ball from the air. It might just be a horrible coincidence but the grip you get is far to unpredictable especially when wet. I hate games being called off but its not like you really miss out they still have to be played.

Played 2 games on 3G pitches this season. Seen 2 broken ankles and 1 broken leg and not a tackle in sight for any of them not including my own double break last year on one again no tackle made just controlling a ball from the air. It might just be a horrible coincidence but the grip you get is far to unpredictable especially when wet. I hate games being called off but its not like you really miss out they still have to be played.

seen 20 games on 3g and not one serious injury so what can we take from that,you lot always fight against change if it threatens your comfort zones,grass burns, broken legs,twisted ankles, no injuries, are all a part of football and for someone to say you have an even bounce as an objection just about takes the biscuit,its funny how watching the up and coming footballers love the 3/4g surfaces and prefer it to grass maybe from amongst them will come the change in attitude that is needed to change things,i'm sure it will the more the youngsters get used to it.

seen 20 games on 3g and not one serious injury so what can we take from that,you lot always fight against change if it threatens your comfort zones,grass burns, broken legs,twisted ankles, no injuries, are all a part of football and for someone to say you have an even bounce as an objection just about takes the biscuit,its funny how watching the up and coming footballers love the 3/4g surfaces and prefer it to grass maybe from amongst them will come the change in attitude that is needed to change things,i'm sure it will the more the youngsters get used to it.

But Duncs you are really missing the point here.  I'm not completely  against 3G/4G infact I think its great for small kids to improve their balls skills etc., and its not about change its about FINANCE... you have not answered that question.  How are clubs at step 4.5.6 going to be able to finance (buy) a 3G/4G at the costs mentioned above on my previous post ?

Please answer me that 'cos I would be very interested to know?   

Duncs, I'm not against change I just prefer playing on grass that's all. Like I said its most likely just a bad coincidence but it starts to plant the seed of doubt in your mind. I love the idea of 3G the fact you get an even bounce and a true running surface is brilliant but for me its just not the same.