Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chichester City FC / FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

littlehampton

I had hoped that the long trek home would mellow my thoughts on Town's performance today. It has not.

First things first: well done Chichester City. They seem like a nice club who could do with the prize money and the publicity. So good luck to them!

In my opinion the only players who came out of today's game with any real credit were Sam Youngs, Jon Muleba and Nathan Macdonald. I may be being a little harsh on Alex Reed who held the ball up well at times and had probably only just met his team-mates. 

Chichester were well-organised. They sat back in the first half and kept things tight. Very sensible. Then in the second half two things happened:

(1) Town began to grow frustrated at their inability to break down CCFC;

(2) CCFC realised that there wasn't too much to be afraid of and took a few more chances going forward.

Tactically, CCFC were a cut above Town today. Individually, their players were no better. But they had a clear plan and executed it.

Time and time again we tried to thread a near impossible ball through to a forward. Perhaps Lewis Taaffe would have made the difference. We seemed to lack that bit of quality up front - Junior Mubiyai dwelt on the ball and rarely received it in a position to advance. Ken struggled for the most part - other than a break from the half-way line when his shot was well saved when a pass to Reed just inside the box might've created a far simpler chance.

The midfield completely lost control in the second half. Ryan Blackman was back to the 'headless chicken' player of early 2018. Passes from both he and Scott Thomas often went astray - but perhaps that was down to the organisation of CCFC?

Glen Wilson is a poor man's Mark Kirby.

We missed Faal and Weatherstone. It shows just how much those two have been carrying Town of late.

I hope the wage bill can still cover Bricknell, Faal and Reed now that a lucrative cup run is out of the question.

Ok, rant over. I think I feel better for that.

16 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

I hope the wage bill can still cover Bricknell, Faal and Reed now that a lucrative cup run is out of the question.

As far as I am aware the club only ever operates within its means and the money committed to the playing budget is what we can afford.We are very lucky to have a manager like Andy L who works within these constraints and controls his limited budget extremely well.

Disappointing result yesterday of course,but I am very proud of what our club has achieved so far this season.

COYT

While I was away I read the various comments including those euphoric ones by my old friend LH leading up to yesterday's cup tie. Having returned today I have had time to catch up with the further posts on the forum.

I have to say I was slightly perturbed at ready that AL had been engaged in further recruitment right up to the  day before the match. As he had a ready replacement for Mo, in Brown, who from what I have seen has fitted in well up front given playing time. However, since I was strongly in favour of getting Alex Read several seasons ago I hope that now is better late than never. Although his scoring has not been so prolific over the past few years.

Regarding yesterday, having been absent from the game, I am inclined to accept CC observations as to what caused defeat. Especially that we seem to a have lacked organisation, a certain player " like a headless chicken",and were tactically deficient etc.These criticisms tend to resonate with me. For it seems I have  seen similar words like these before before. I wonder where?

Surely one of our management team had read the reviews written about Chichester, because if they had they would have learnt that their format is to rely on a well drilled disciplined defence and to patiently wait until they can counter attack without putting their defence in jeopardy . THimple Sergia!!!!!!  I doubt if they have many headless chickens in their team nor many with a list of previous clubs as long as your arm.  No they seem to have a manager with the ability to formulate a team and to make them play to their strengths. I believe there are many out them out there waiting to be given a chance.

Let's hope a lesson has been learnt and we can put this behind us and maintain our position in the league. 

So far as 72W earlier comment is concerned I believe all our managers have had to work under financial restraint. Some more than others, as their budgets were set relative to the league they were in. Even so several helped us to gain promotion within a reasonable period of time. I am still reserving my judgement on our current one as he is now in his third year.

Good luck to MO mind you I hope his back give him an overdraft. I actually believe EFTC is more secure at the moment than Bolton.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Limited budget.

How many times have we heard this? Normally when we lose games when we should have won. I do not have stats to back up my claim, but I'm sure there are many teams running on a smaller budget than ours.

Surely it's what you do with the resources you have.

Quite so CC. Yes the old mantra is out again Andy. Similarly we are continually being told AL has made another excellent signing only for him to be gone within a few weeks with an extra club to add to his lengthy CV. As you say Andy it is what you do with the resources you have in hand that counts, coupled with the ability to make them into a team unit. I also do not have any stats but it seems we must have turned over more players in the past two years than we have in the previous 4/5.  

We should keep an eye on Chichester's  manager. I am sure we will hear more of him in the next few seasons.

I was at the game on Saturday and even though I am one of AL's biggest critics, I don't think that he can be held responsible for Saturday's result. Missing 3 key players and then losing Taffe after 5 minutes won't have helped. Our biggest problem was that the 11 on the pitch didn't seem up for it I'm afraid.

15 minutes ago, Seaside Towner said:

Our biggest problem was that the 11 on the pitch didn't seem up for it I'm afraid.

If that isn't the manager's fault then I'm not sure what is?! Surely he can get the players motivated for the FA Cup - I mean, at the very least its the ultimate 'shop window' for some of the younger guys with ambitions to play higher. Chichester were absolutely up for the game. I'm still fuming that many of those on the pitch didn't give 110%.

What a disappointing result (pretty much ruined my weekend, and I'm still thoroughly annoyed with how things played out). I'm told by a couple of reliable sources that went to the game that we were much the better side on paper, played OK first half, but switched off and invited pressure in the second, effectively trying to play for a replay for the last 15... That said, that's cup football - teams in lower leagues can and will raise their games and come into fixtures like this treating it as their 'cup final' - we did exactly the same to Braintree, and it's really frustrating that our players didn't seem to have the same mindset that they’ve shown over the previous games that's seen us win two really difficult cup ties and climb up the league table. 12 months ago, I'd possibly be questioning Blackman if he'd had a bad game, but given the fantastic performances he's put in over the previous few games, I've got no issue whatsoever - the dive, mobility, commitment and attitude he shows more than makes up for any shortcomings in my opinion - at this level, playing like he has been, he's a very good player that I’m proud to see wearing a Town shirt.

For me, it's how we respond to this that's key - bounce back against Cray with the same attitude, organisation and commitment that we've shown over the last month and we'll be fine, let this setback affect us and it will be doubly disappointing. It's up to the management to get our players mindsets back in the right place, but more so up to the players to have a long hard look at themselves and know that Saturday wasn't nearly good enough and it absolutely can't happen again regularly if we are going to progress.

Regarding player recruitment, I don't think there will be many Town fans that will a) begrudge Mo a move up the leagues (as shaky as Bolton are financially) or b) be unhappy that we signed him in the first place, given that he's contributed considerably in his time at the club. He's a player that can play higher in my view, so good luck to him. Ultimately if he didn't want to sign a contract with us, then what can we do - bottom line, doing so would severely hamper his chances of progressing, and from what Andy has said, it was always clear that he was looking to get into the professional game at some point. Signing Read to me looks like pretty shrewd business, with Bricknell injured (any update?), and now Mo departing. It's very easy to say that we should have signed him way back when, but if another club offered him better terms, what can we do?

Lastly a shout out to Littlehampton, who's 'euphoric' comments upthread were for me all about drumming up support, interest and enthusiasm for a really important cup tie for the club - if doing so encouraged just one extra fan to make the trip down south, or the ultras to sing just a tiny bit louder, then his efforts were more than worthwhile. Most fans are excited, positive and encouraging about the club, win or lose (and clearly we will lose games along the way - we're not Liverpool), but I do wonder whether some are more content with us playing badly as it justifies their preconceptions about the management, style of play and direction that the club is going. Food for thought…

An excellent post Barney and I find very little to disagree with. The minor exception is your comment on those with preconceptions about the management. If you read my observations at the time of AL appointment I gave my view on him, based purely from a football management perspective, from my own previous experience. 

As I said recently I am still reserving my judgement on him. It appears that several others are now seeing some of the things I mentioned then. None of of this means we want him to fail, because if he does the team does. I may be critical but I am not stupid. If I were, why would I pay to be a member and Season ticket holder when for personal reasons I will probably only be fit enough to see home games and that is only when I feel up to it.

As for LH our tit for tats has been going on in for several years. I too admire his optimism but I don't believe every advert I see or that every dish I taste is absolutely delicious.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals