Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
littlehampton

Chichester City FC / FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Posted (edited)

Thanks B10  I am very much obliged. I have raised the point before and it's the first time anyone has enlightened me. Thanks again. I am sure that it is written somewhere. Just laziness on my part after years having to read all the small print. I too have no criticism of how the Board operate and appreciate how much time and effort they put in on our behalf. Although I still have doubts if the playing side of things. But that's for another day. 

Agree Barney, it is a tragedy that agents call the tune. But I bet that the players have had to sign a contract in order to obtain their services. I also bet if scrutinised not many of these contracts would not stand up in court if challenged. That's the terrible irony of all this agent business. But then I am glad I don't have to get involved any more.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I remember when EFC received fees for players who moved up the pyramid (John Bailey and Paul Underwood spring to mind). I appreciate that this was some time ago, but larger clubs didn't seem to be put off making signings based on these fees - has that really changed now? Are clubs really unable/unwilling to pay a few £k in order to sign young talent?

Posted (edited)

Yes I believe that transfer fees are still paid to clubs for contracted players even at our level CC.  As I said earlier the use of contracts remains the same it just is now a matter of scale. Now it has to relate to the state of your finances and if entering into contract with players lies within your business plan.  The principle remains the same but now days the risk of getting a reasonable return is higher, brought on by the advent of agents.

During the 70/80s EFC  investment level was difference as they were owned by a shrewd entrepreneur with outside professional advisers. Most players were under contract. When Paul Furlong was let go by EFC they received several thousands of £s plus a % of sale on transfers. The flip-side to this was the purchase of Abbott, for his second tour with EFC, which cost the club in the region of £7000. Yes times were very  different then. 

Yes Steph, we got/paid fees for most players at that time. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I'm certainly not saying that players aren't on contract at non league level, I think most of the National League and at least some clubs in the National North and South will have contracted players. And 4WF is correct, in these cases, should they move on, the club that holds their registration is entitled to a fee. I think comparing Enfield FC back then with Enfield Town now isn't that useful - the old club at the time of Bailey and Underwood, despite being in the Isthmian (which was one step higher then than it is now) were still one of the top (and I suspect top paying) non league clubs, and could attract the best talent and afford to keep them on contract.

@Steph - I'm not saying that clubs higher up aren't willing to pay for players registrations, if a player is a good enough prospect, then they clearly will. That said, if they're looking at a number of possible prospects, they're less likely to take a risk paying a fee for the player that is contracted compared to one they can get for free (assuming they consider the players to be of similar standard). Players (and agents) know this, and this is why they elect not to sign a contract when offered. I can't believe we didn't try to get Cory on a contract for instance - as I understand it, he chose not to sign, at least partly because it would improve his chances of moving up the pyramid.

AS I said Barney it all comes down to choice. Whilst clubs continue to allow players and their agents to dictate terms there will be little change. However, as finances get harder for clubs in the Football League, the balance may start to swing in favour of those who are in the lower level to acquire players.

As I am now getting into the realms of supposition and,  as much as I have enjoyed the conversation,  I think I should bow out now until another topic comes up. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

sorry I don't think I explained myself correctly  I have no problem with players going  good luck to them , the point I tried to make was ,,,,,,,,,,,, we found out on this forum that Mo had gone to Bolton BEFORE the cup game and as yet NO OFFICAL CONFORMATION  on the website

Josh Davidson is he still on trial at Charlton or have the got him  again nothing from the club >>>>>>> surly they must know something

we have been told we now have Alex Reed  a very good player to have  and a striker on loan from Gillingham both got before the cup game

is it  like area 54 on a need to know  basis

for a fan owned club this is poor

come on board tell us what is going on !!!!

Do we really want players who are unwilling to commit to one solitary season with our club?

If they are not willing to commit,then maybe those players should be on expenses only.The lure of more money under contract would encourage them to sign.

Apparently Mo trained with us Tues and Thurs and is available for selection Saturday.

I would like to think he will stay for the season now but I guess when another trial comes up he will be of again.

Cant blame him though I guess.

10 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Season ticket holders and members commit for a season. Just saying.

We are supporters of the club and players ain't.