Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Why is Rooney different?

tempestward

In an international football one man kicks another man from behind in an act of mindless, reckless and sickening stupidity. He gets sent off for it. He feels it is unfair. So do his national FA and his club manager. The man's national FA lodge an appeal to a court that thinks that the standards that said national FA enforce on a regular basis when, say, a Horley Town centre back kicks Egham Town's Marcus Moody in the air, are too strict for an international player.

I am not sure the FA knows what standards are. I take it that the Horley Town centre back got a three match ban (I don't actually know) and I take it that if he appealed the same FA would have told him to do one. I would hope that said centre back would have taken his punishment on the chin. So now, should the same man react in the same way in his next league match, what would the punishment be, given that the mooted misdemeanour would be assessed by the same national FA? What about further down the league ladder? One rule for Wayne Rooney, for it is he, and one for a Horley Town centre back?

This is taken from the BBC site:

It is believed the FA argued a three-match ban that affects games in the finals of a major tournament is a harsher sanction than a suspension of a similar length which would just affect qualifying games.

Rooney had previously admitted the kick was "stupid" but maintained that the ban was "a bit harsh".

So if the sending off had happened in the qualifying, or in a friendly, would the FA have bothered? I am aware some people may think it terribly un-English to want our national team shorn of such a "talent" (he was rubbish last night when his club needed him) but it will be interesting to see how the FA tries to hold on to what is left of its authority in future.

whats sickening at this level is you're not even allowed an appeal unless you have video evidence, but of course in the Horley players case it would make no difference, so...............no appeal !!!

Absolute Billocks !!! Just a get out by the FA to protect the most inept bunch of referee's I've seen in my 43 years of playing, Refereeing !!! and managing, and currently watch at steps 4/5/6 and morden & district and redhill sunday leagues

Respect and the FA do not go together.

If it did they would never have let some theiving [censored] take Wimbledon away from , er Wimbledon and move them to Milton Keynes.

What I like about the CCL is it is so far removed from the Premier League and all that it stands for.

It means that now on every similar incident like that will get appealed and they'll have to reduce it, one rule for all and everything!!!

Well said Tempie (Can I call you that yet ?) and agree with everything said above.

Disgraceful on both the FA for appealing and UEFA for upholding it. Anyway to all the teams that reach a final this year let your players know they can go around kicking people for fun because they will not be suspended for the final because it will spoil it !!!!!

Whilst I think the FA were wrong to appeal two things worthy of note

1) The standard "sentence" for violent condict is two matches under UEFA rules, unlike in England where it is three matches

2) The Meerkat from Arsenal got two matches when playing for Russia a few years ago for a similar offence.

I dont get Rooney haters. The FA did what they could with in the UEFA rules to ensure their best player can be at a tournament. Something that every manager at every club would do I would think. UEFA rules are different from the English FA rules so the opportunity for appeal was their for this change and the president set by the Arshavin ban was two games.

Think we all need to realise that the English FA are not breaking their own rules they are doing what they can within the UEFA governance. As much as they would like to it is not the English FA that govern European or world football.

The likes of Dalgleish getting his nil value opinion on this to try and make the FA think differently about the pending situation with Saurez is ridiculous and desperate. He looks like a fool trying to discredit the FA so that his side can attempt to appeal when they throw the book at Suarez, who for all his quality is far more of a neusence than Rooney and a cheat as well as a trouble maker.

the meerkat didnt have all sorts of previous for similar offences,kicked the bloke once,which although stupid,is usually just frustration,rooney kicked out twice which shows his stupidity,the meerkat also took it on the chin,something rooney failed to do

But how many of Shrek's offences were under UEFA jurisdication and those would have been from a few years ago?

I dont get Rooney haters. The FA did what they could with in the UEFA rules to ensure their best player can be at a tournament. Something that every manager at every club would do I would think. UEFA rules are different from the English FA rules so the opportunity for appeal was their for this change and the president set by the Arshavin ban was two games.

Think we all need to realise that the English FA are not breaking their own rules they are doing what they can within the UEFA governance. As much as they would like to it is not the English FA that govern European or world football.

The likes of Dalgleish getting his nil value opinion on this to try and make the FA think differently about the pending situation with Saurez is ridiculous and desperate. He looks like a fool trying to discredit the FA so that his side can attempt to appeal when they throw the book at Suarez, who for all his quality is far more of a neusence than Rooney and a cheat as well as a trouble maker.

Just about to mention the Arshavin thing, you took the words straight from my mouth mate. Like alot of English people i'm very proud about our national team even if they don't do that well. The FA are always going to want whats best, so fair play to them for appealing.

Regardless of the offender, whether it be Rooney or Mother bleedin' Theresa, a 3 match ban in a tournament is disproportionate to a 3 match ban in domestic football.

Theoretically a player with a 3 match ban in England could miss a league game on a Saturday, a midweek cup game and another league game the following Saturday, so his ban is done and dusted in 8 days.

Whereas a 3 match ban within a tournament could effectively mean the player missing the whole tournament if they don't qualify through the group stage. This doesn't just punish the player but the country and the nation as a whole and therefore can appear harsh.

One of the reasons I gave up on premier and championship watching and took up following non league is because I was fed up with watching games that were stuffed so full of cheating that it seemed the cheating was the real game and the football was just the stage to play it on. Of course, there is cheating in non league too but on a much smaller scale. There is one team in particular in the CCL that rivals the "higher" level games for cheating (you know who you are) but for the most part watching CCL today is more like football used to be when I was a boy (except the players are all a lot more skillful now).

Reading between the lines in todays press, it would seem that Capello took most of the blame, saying that he shouldn't have played Rooney in the first place because of his 'family problem' at the time of the match.

Wether this is right or wrong, I'll leave up to you lot !

Edited by Big J R

In an international football one man kicks another man from behind in an act of mindless, reckless and sickening stupidity. He gets sent off for it. He feels it is unfair. So do his national FA and his club manager. The man's national FA lodge an appeal to a court that thinks that the standards that said national FA enforce on a regular basis when, say, a Horley Town centre back kicks Egham Town's Marcus Moody in the air, are too strict for an international player.

I am not sure the FA knows what standards are. I take it that the Horley Town centre back got a three match ban (I don't actually know) and I take it that if he appealed the same FA would have told him to do one. I would hope that said centre back would have taken his punishment on the chin. So now, should the same man react in the same way in his next league match, what would the punishment be, given that the mooted misdemeanour would be assessed by the same national FA? What about further down the league ladder? One rule for Wayne Rooney, for it is he, and one for a Horley Town centre back?

This is taken from the BBC site:

It is believed the FA argued a three-match ban that affects games in the finals of a major tournament is a harsher sanction than a suspension of a similar length which would just affect qualifying games.

Rooney had previously admitted the kick was "stupid" but maintained that the ban was "a bit harsh".

So if the sending off had happened in the qualifying, or in a friendly, would the FA have bothered? I am aware some people may think it terribly un-English to want our national team shorn of such a "talent" (he was rubbish last night when his club needed him) but it will be interesting to see how the FA tries to hold on to wht is left of its authority in future.

Hi tempestward,

Im glad you mentioned this as I was thinking the same. I was the so called centre back that kicked moody in the air(I dont think it was that bad) but still yes I took it on the chin served a 3 match ban and paid a £60 fine. To be honest I was gutted as I missed a few very important games 1 of them being away to winsor.

As you say its rediculous how Rooney apeals and gets it reduced, dont get me wrong I think he is a great player and England need him.

Blokes a to$$er as is terry,cole and a number of others.

As far as i am concerned it is an embarrasment that such "men" should represent our country whereas in other sports you have REAL MEN such as Sir Steve Redgrave,Michael Atherton etc etc who have respresented the country without a blot on their CV's

Rooney is constantly in trouble on and off the pitch,he is so far removed from your working man although behaves like he still lives on a council estate in toxteth.

From the minute these idiots move to a top club they have their bottoms wiped for them,no one ever says no to them therefore they take and take and take and behave like they are out on the p1ss in Romford.

Ashley Cole is another idiot who famously "nearly crashed my car when i was insulted with an offer of £65'000 per week" are these idiots for real???

Edited by Eastside Urchin