Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

John Rains R.I.P.

E&E Rich

The former Assistant Manager and player for Epsom & Ewell in the eighties John Rains has passed away after a short illness. He was 57.

He was of course best known for his playing career at Sutton United and it would be wrong of me to do a full tribute here as this should be left to the Sutton United fans down the road, where he spent most of his career.#

In fact it is hard to find anyone comparable in our history that could match his achievements while playing for our local rivals. There were at least 600 appearances and a hatful of trophies, not to mention leading them out at Wembley for the 1981 F.A.Trophy Final.

John joined Epsom in early 1987 under our Manager Ricky Kidd. Obviously well connected to Kidd from Sutton, John played for a while and then became Assistant Manager before departing for Eastbourne in 1988. He had spells in Management at various places, one of which was at Molesey, where he was Manager to our own Lyndon Buckwell.

In recent years he was occasionally to be found at the Moatside when his son Matt occasionally played for us. I always found him a pleasant chap, and I can relate to the loyalty he showed to his club of choice.

The non-league world will be poorer for his absence.

Edited by E&E Ed

Johns brother Tony was captain and scored the goal when Sutton beat Coventry

John played over 500 games for Sutton and scored over 100 goals from CB! He was captain of the side when they won the Anglo italian Cup in 1979 the first british winners and was also the captain when Sutton were at Wembley in 1981 he also captained them to many league titles and cup honours in the 80's. He then managed Dorking and Carshalton before returning to Sutton and managed them for 10years winning the Ryman league in 1999. A true Sutton legend....RIP

I have known JR and his family since I met my wife back in 1995.

I used to help out on his soccer schools during the school holidays.

One of the nicest guys I have known in football anywhere.

Last saw John in August as his son, Matthew, had joined CWUFC.

We are all shocked at John' passing.

Our heartfelt commiserations to all of his family and friends.

RIP John.

Chris, Christine & Jane.

Very sad news indeed. Had many good chats with John when his son was in our youth team when I was Manager at Merstham.

My thoughts go out to his son Matt and all his family.

RIP John

I remember Matt so I probably have met John at some point without even knowing. My sympathies to his family. 57 is no age. :(

Played against John plenty of times, good player nice fella and much to early for him not to be here, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP John

Condolences from all at DFC.

I did get your text, Chris. Phone has been off for 24 hours.

Played against John and Tony a few times.

Never really chatted or knew them that well, but was well respected in the non-league player and management circles.

A real legend at Sutton....

My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends

John Rains - R.I.P

NG

Terrible news meet him a few time over the years always great to talk to about football remember game back in the 1980's when a game was abandoned with snow and we had a long chat about football

RIP

A tribute to the life of John Rains will be held as follows.

Wednesday 22nd February 2012 @ 3pm

North East Surrey Crematorium

Lower Morden Lane.

No flowers (except from family) - any donations to Royal Marsden Hospital please.

Reception at Sutton United FC afterwards.