Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

One for the refs

Because premier league refs are allowed to exercise common sense where as refs at this level are either traffic wardens by day, nazis on a Saturday afternoon, or they are under such pressure and scrutiny from assessors that they have no choice but to be over zealous about things which are totally inconsequential

As mentioned on here before the ref at our game vs Holmer Green was one of the best ive seen. Yet he was ripped a new one by the watching Assessor due to our keeper midway through the 2nd half pulling up his sleeves to reveal a white under garment whilst wearing a green top.

Any refs out there fancy commenting on this, would be good to get your views. 

Come now Jonno - SSML officials are only human and as such maybe are prone to the odd mistake but please don't class all SSML officials in the same light. Overall the standard of officiating that I have witnessed in all my years associated with the SSML has been of the highest levels. Sure have seen the odd poor performance but after all we all have an off day now and again.

My favourite is video evidence required to appeal dismissals at Sunday league level.

Reminds me of the time i was playing when they introduced that trial of moving the ball forward 10 yards at free kicks for dissent. It wasn't on trial at our level, but after a player on our team said something the ref moved it forward 10 yards. I said you can't do that at this level and was then booked for dissent. Needless to say the referee then lied in the report.

Although most officials are pretty reasonable at this level, the standard has definitely fallen over the last couple of seasons in direct correlation with the amount of games being assessed. It can't be helpful for officials knowing every decision is being scrutinised from the stands and the result is fans and players suffering stop-start games littered with cards . . . not to mention the resulting fines from the FA!

How come David De Gea is allowed to wear a different colour under top, playing for Manchester United in the Premier league, but an ssml goalkeeper isn't?

The simple answer is that he should not have been allowed.

I would expect the Assessor at the game to have picked up on this.

Because premier league refs are allowed to exercise common sense where as refs at this level are either traffic wardens by day, nazis on a Saturday afternoon, or they are under such pressure and scrutiny from assessors that they have no choice but to be over zealous about things which are totally inconsequential

I note your comment comparing Referees to Nazis.

This I find extremely offensive.

I assume that you are still a Club Official of Hoddesdon Town.

As mentioned on here before the ref at our game vs Holmer Green was one of the best ive seen. Yet he was ripped a new one by the watching Assessor due to our keeper midway through the 2nd half pulling up his sleeves to reveal a white under garment whilst wearing a green top.

Any refs out there fancy commenting on this, would be good to get your views. 

Assessors are trying to help Referees progress to the next Level. Checking players' equipment prior to games is a thankless task. Have a look if they are wearing jewellery, incorrect undershirts / undershorts, colour of sock tape, colour of ankle socks, check the studs.

Picking up on the colour of the goalkeepers undershirt would be a development point for the Referee. I would be surprised if the Assessor tore into the Referee on this issue but instead offered guidance. 

A team names a side to the Officials prior to KO but 1 player has not arrived,so they start with 10 men,would he be classed as a sub when he actually enters the field of play?

No. If the player who arrived late was named in the starting 11 then he would not be classified as a substitute if he joined the game as the 11th player.

I note your comment comparing Referees to Nazis.

This I find extremely offensive.

I assume that you are still a Club Official of Hoddesdon Town.

Pete the Greek, I assume from this conversation you are a referee / Lino that officiates on the south Mids. I also deduce that you are seriously considering reporting "Jonno" regarding his comment.

Now, I am completely neutral and am not an official or current player with a South Mids team, but even I know his comment was tongue in cheek and in jest, and I don't even know the bloke.

Are message boards like this all about a bit of banter and light hearted fun? If you are considering reporting it, I'm afraid you are doing nothing for the rapidly increasing reputation that referees are currently over fussy, have zero sense of humour and cannot relate to football banter. A sad state of affairs.

Although most officials are pretty reasonable at this level, the standard has definitely fallen over the last couple of seasons in direct correlation with the amount of games being assessed. It can't be helpful for officials knowing every decision is being scrutinised from the stands and the result is fans and players suffering stop-start games littered with cards . . . not to mention the resulting fines from the FA!

I disagree with your point that, "it can't be helpful for officials knowing every decision is being scrutinized from the stands." The Referees in the Premier Division are Level 4's and they know that during the Assessing Year they will be assessed at least 5 times. They need these Assessments, and high marks, if they are to be promoted to Level 3.

What you may not know is that while they are assessed, the Assistant Referees on their games are also assessed (Development Form) and are marked accordingly. I don't change anything in my game when I'm officiating when there is an Assessor present. Do things properly and you will get rewarded with good marks. Likewise, make mistakes and you will quickly fall down rankings.

I think the standard at the top end is very high and this is reflected in the record amount of Level 4's promoted to Level 3 status over recent seasons. I'm not convinced that this season will be a great one below the top band of Referees but only time will tell if I am right.

People that moan about refs should have a go at being a ref and see if they can do a better job.

Assessors are trying to help Referees progress to the next Level. Checking players' equipment prior to games is a thankless task. Have a look if they are wearing jewellery, incorrect undershirts / undershorts, colour of sock tape, colour of ankle socks, check the studs.

Picking up on the colour of the goalkeepers undershirt would be a development point for the Referee. I would be surprised if the Assessor tore into the Referee on this issue but instead offered guidance.

I thought the purpose of Assessors was to comment upon the ability of the referee to officiate at their current level, and not just to help 'officials' to move up the ladder - even though some of the development pointers may help in this respect.

What upsets most players, supporters etc., is the referee who is perfect on jewellery, incorrect undershirts / undershorts, colour of sock tape, colour of ankle socks, etc. yet cannot get basic 'footballing' decisions correct.

I thought the purpose of Assessors was to comment upon the ability of the referee to officiate at their current level, and not just to help 'officials' to move up the ladder - even though some of the development pointers may help in this respect.

What upsets most players, supporters etc., is the referee who is perfect on jewellery, incorrect undershirts / undershorts, colour of sock tape, colour of ankle socks, etc. yet cannot get basic 'footballing' decisions correct.

It is annoying when Referees get the technical things correct yet missed the blatantly obvious fouls or fail to deal with 'industrial' language.

What people want, and that is Assessors and well as spectators, is consistency in the decisions.

I think its about time that players are assessed  :P

Not to be too Schrodinger about this but isn't that the ref's job Karen?

Don't care about sock ties or jewellery, just let the game flow and make the spectacle enjoyable for players and fans. That's all I ask.