Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v. East Thurrock Utd

Crusty Lee

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I'm excited about this one. With respect to Seemgee, I felt we needed to promote this game earlier and get some momentum going into it.

The table suggests we should win this one but we all know it's not so simple. We're in the midst of a blip, having slipped from top of the form guide to one game from falling out of the playoffs completely. East Thurrock's winning streak didn't last long but importantly they're not relegated yet. I cant see this one ending 8-0 but anything-nil would be good.

I reckon the performance is as important as the win. Rely soley on schoolboy kick 'n' rush and we can kiss goodbye to the playoffs. What I'd like to see :

Play with composure and make better choices when playing out from the back. Stretch the opposition and make them run. By all means, play a long ball if you can execute it and it's genuinely on.

I'd like to see the wingers take the ball into the box - there's always the chance of a penalty. Also scud hard and low across the goal - always a chance of an own goal. Cunnington did just this few games ago. Missed everyone but so close and exciting.

Corners - how effective are they? How about overhitting them beyond the back post, have someone head it either back in to create more mayhem or to someone on the edge of the box to lash it home.

Shots - practise keeping them low!

Just my serving suggestions. What do you think? What strengths should we play to?

Come on, Town. Time to saddle up and climb back on the playoff horse. Giddyup!

Crusty

59 minutes ago, Crusty Lee said:

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I'm excited about this one. With respect to Seemgee, I felt we needed to promote this game earlier and get some momentum going into it.

The table suggests we should win this one but we all know it's not so simple. We're in the midst of a blip, having slipped from top of the form guide to one game from falling out of the playoffs completely. East Thurrock's winning streak didn't last long but importantly they're not relegated yet. I cant see this one ending 8-0 but anything-nil would be good.

I reckon the performance is as important as the win. Rely soley on schoolboy kick 'n' rush and we can kiss goodbye to the playoffs. What I'd like to see :

Play with composure and make better choices when playing out from the back. Stretch the opposition and make them run. By all means, play a long ball if you can execute it and it's genuinely on.

I'd like to see the wingers take the ball into the box - there's always the chance of a penalty. Also scud hard and low across the goal - always a chance of an own goal. Cunnington did just this few games ago. Missed everyone but so close and exciting.

Corners - how effective are they? How about overhitting them beyond the back post, have someone head it either back in to create more mayhem or to someone on the edge of the box to lash it home.

Shots - practise keeping them low!

Just my serving suggestions. What do you think? What strengths should we play to?

Come on, Town. Time to saddle up and climb back on the playoff horse. Giddyup!

Crusty

Football’s a simple game really.

Would be nice to think that some of what Crusty says is acted upon. But I am not holding my breathe. Especially has I have given similar views, from a coaching prospected, during each year of AL's reign. Often receiving quiet strong abuse.

I have pontificated on such things ...as retaining the ball... wasting energy chasing long balls.... team method.....ad infinitum.... something we were taught to us way back in the 50s.

I still recall a statement made by Brian Clough in the 70s,which is still true today " If God wanted football played in the sky he would have made the grass grow on clouds"!!!  

Finally I still stand by my assumption that we need at least 80pts to ensure a 2nd or 3rd place to get a home tie. Yes another 21pts. That is 7 wins out of 10 game which, if everyone wants it enough, is not impossible. Let's see if the management, players and supporters are up to the challenge.   

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

We will have to give 150% tomorrow nothing less it’s a banana skin game  like the other games that have been said are easy games 

no more long balls let’s play on the ground 

So any feedback on the game today ?? 

Last week the Worthing thread was full of negativity before the end of the game, today no comments nearly 2 hours after the final whistle?

Wasn't there, but looks comfortable with an early goal, we kept a clean sheet .. Andy being prepared to make the changes after our poor run to shake up the line up ... bold move dropping Cass that could have seen criticism had it backfired ..

Great to see Maja back in the 11 too ...

Be good to hear everyone's views 

.. Lewes & Stortford drop points, and the predicted final table expects us to finish 3rd ...

Uninspiring performance in difficult conditions against a poor Thurrock team, cunnington started upfront which meant a more direct style of play to his credit he set up the first two goals you could only see Thurrock scoring from a defensive mistake which we seem to make more often than not, Maja started but in my opinion looked very rusty, our 3rd goal was a wonderfully struck free kick by Lyle the main positive to take from this game was that we won

Not a great spectacle. East Thurrock were poor and I can't see that we will be playing them next season. That being said, they had 2 or 3 very good opportunities (including a weak header back by Gyebi putting their striker in on goal only for him to panic and pass the ball to Nathan!). They also kept us penned in our half for long periods in the second half.

I know Sam Youngs got it, but Maja was my man of the match. He covered a lot of ground defensively and won plenty of ball. Scott Thomas also had a pretty good game. 

We are going to need to play much much much better if we are to come away with anything from Hornchurch. The problem is, I suspect we'll revert to the long ball game which will be all too easy for the opposition to handle. 

Nice to see your back to being world beaters again .... Albeit for a few days ?

4 hours ago, Albury_Walker said:

Nice to see your back to being world beaters again .... Albeit for a few days ?

31st December, Albury wrote: "See you in the playoffs ...Thats if you have the staying power ????"

Just curious, how's that working out for you, AW?

4 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

31st December, Albury wrote: "See you in the playoffs ...Thats if you have the staying power ????"

Just curious, how's that working out for you, AW?

We got blighted by the Trophy run . Our own fault ? . Then again we all had great afternoons out at St Albans and Stockport. You should try it sometime when your good enough ?