Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

Yeah, firstly as I and others have stated before, Guernsey lost AFC Wimbledon Reserves/Squad players step 6 (same as CCL Div. 1) they could possibly be step 5, as opposed to the commentators opening line which 'could' be misleading to suggest that Guernsey were playing AFC Wimbledon 1st team, so my advice would be don't get too carried away Guernseyrites.

I cannot comment on the CCL Div. 1 clubs as I do not watch Div. 1 games only maybe in cup fixtures, but the other guys on this forum will compare the video highlights who have already commented

With regards to the interviews, I found it quite funny when Gayle was commenting on how the CCL play , '' They pass the ball around well, they're not a tradional CCL outfit' .... ... then quickly diverted to say say Guernsey will do well in the CCL. So whats Gayle refering to being 'not a traditional CCL outfit' that they 'lump it' but cleverly avoided saying that !

How many of you guernsey chaps speak Guernesiais and what exactly is it?

You're probably referring to Patois, EU !

A strange language consisting of part French, part English, part a mixture.

The pub my Uncle and I used to use lunchtimes had a few older guys, (fishermen, I think), who used to speak it in the bar between themselves. Absolutely fascinating.

I think it may well have died out.

Any thoughts, you Guernsey Guys ?

Don't want to rain on anyones parade but that is Wimbledons reserves... and as we played them 4 times last year that is the squad we faced ...All bar Jack Turner who only played in 2 of them.....

Maybe it was Wimbledons reserves and we will play Bristol City's kids/reserves this Saturday but this is a different level for us. When will you all understand that all of this is a new level to us. I don't hear about any other CCL Div 1 clubs playing friendlies against anyone of this standard so why keep putting us down??

I don't think anyones putting down Guru, I thinks its the “ were gonna come into this league and smash it” or top 3 finish easy. You haven't even seen any of us teams yet and believe me there are better teams in this league who are better than wimbledon ressies who you will have to beat to win this league! Good luck to ya but believe me if your gonna win it, your guna earn it!!

Listen guys since joining this site on 15 April I have heard so much cr*p that I thought it best to join them if you cant beat them. If you remember I tried the nice way, I made it clear that Guernsey would welcome you and that we would provide you with something no other club could. We are even paying for it. But after so much negativity I have just turned into one of you. I made a comment a few days ago stating that we would be delighted to finish mid table (my honest opinion) but even that got slated. So now I dont care I have joined the band wagon and as several posters have said will continue to spout bollox the same as everyone else

Guru that was one massive bite!. This forum is all about the banter so keep spouting the bollox and enjoy the banter

The pub my Uncle and I used to use lunchtimes had a few older guys, (fishermen, I think), who used to speak it in the bar between themselves. Absolutely fascinating.

JR i also think that patois is one of the languages spoke in the carribean. Just to add some culture to this thread!

Don't want to rain on anyones parade but that is Wimbledons reserves... and as we played them 4 times last year that is the squad we faced ...All bar Jack Turner who only played in 2 of them.....

Maybe it was Wimbledons reserves and we will play Bristol City's kids/reserves this Saturday but this is a different level for us. When will you all understand that all of this is a new level to us. I don't hear about any other CCL Div 1 clubs playing friendlies against anyone of this standard so why keep putting us down??

I don't think anyones putting down Guru, I thinks its the “ were gonna come into this league and smash it” or top 3 finish easy. You haven't even seen any of us teams yet and believe me there are better teams in this league who are better than wimbledon ressies who you will have to beat to win this league! Good luck to ya but believe me if your gonna win it, your guna earn it!!

Listen guys since joining this site on 15 April I have heard so much cr*p that I thought it best to join them if you cant beat them. If you remember I tried the nice way, I made it clear that Guernsey would welcome you and that we would provide you with something no other club could. We are even paying for it. But after so much negativity I have just turned into one of you. I made a comment a few days ago stating that we would be delighted to finish mid table (my honest opinion) but even that got slated. So now I dont care I have joined the band wagon and as several posters have said will continue to spout bollox the same as everyone else

You just need to be a little bit more realistic Guru,if you were not paying for it,you would not be in the League FACT.You are right on one point though, you are offering us something that no other Club could,a bloody long away trip.FACT Whilst your pitch is decent it is an Arena,no different to Croydon or GuildfordsFACT.Which if my sources are right Guernsey have never Won a game at, in the Muratti Cup after 8 attempts,hence the railings being installed behind the Goals to give the place more atmosphere FACT.I hope this has been cleared by the League or the F.A. as I think it could be a Health and Safety issue after seeing the pics on Channeltv.and the mention of noisy Abusive youths behind each Goal in the Guernsey Press.My main concern however is how the goalposts are slowly moving,when first mooted 25 were going to be paid for travelling cut to 22,if you take 15 players,A Manager,Ass. Manager,Coach,G.K.Coach,Physio,Kit Man,Thats 21,then you need a Matchday Secretary,,so the Chairman and any other hard working Committee Members will have to pay for themselves or the Club will.Each Club in C.C.L. Is given 6 passes by the League,for non playing staff to gain Free Entry to any C.C.L. Ground on matchdays.Then we get to moving Kick Off times,was this discussed before your entry into the League,as for as long as I can remember traditional games in the C.C.L. k.o was 3pm with lights,2pm without lights,but due only to financial constraints in my opinion,you want these moved to 1 pm.

I have never put a club down in my life.... It was just a statement.... I think you did well as we never beat them in 4 attempts last year either.....

JR i also think that patois is one of the languages spoke in the carribean. Just to add some culture to this thread!

That's right, it's certainly spoken on St Lucia where my father-in-law is from.

Think this is getting a little silly now all round - Guernsey fans don't know what they are going into. I know they will have a rough idea of the standard and how that stacks up against their players previous exploits in the Island Games, county cups etc., but any predictions should be made with caution given the fact that they know virtually nothing about the clubs they will face. On the other hand, there's some naughty comments on here like the one above from Smudge which if its not there to get a reaction is a tad harsh. GFC have done so much, a really terrific job all round, to get through the considerable hoops in front of them. This "goal posts changing" seems to be unfair - the CCL league accepted them on the terms they agreed upon - the CCL are accountable for all decisions, not GFC. If there is a perception that things have changed, the CCL polices such matters though I bet Guernsey are more accomodating than any other side in the league - they do have the CCL to thank for being allowed into the pyramid for which they are xtremely grateful I'm sure, so they won't be trying to cut corners and make enemies now.

I think you should have your little battles on here but when all's said and done, the CCL is one league everyone else is watching this year and you should all be grateful for the exposure, interest and hopefully improved standard as a result.

I thank you.

You just need to be a little bit more realistic Guru,if you were not paying for it,you would not be in the League FACT.You are right on one point though, you are offering us something that no other Club could,a bloody long away trip.FACT Whilst your pitch is decent it is an Arena,no different to Croydon or GuildfordsFACT.Which if my sources are right Guernsey have never Won a game at, in the Muratti Cup after 8 attempts,hence the railings being installed behind the Goals to give the place more atmosphere FACT.I hope this has been cleared by the League or the F.A. as I think it could be a Health and Safety issue after seeing the pics on Channeltv.and the mention of noisy Abusive youths behind each Goal in the Guernsey Press.My main concern however is how the goalposts are slowly moving,when first mooted 25 were going to be paid for travelling cut to 22,if you take 15 players,A Manager,Ass. Manager,Coach,G.K.Coach,Physio,Kit Man,Thats 21,then you need a Matchday Secretary,,so the Chairman and any other hard working Committee Members will have to pay for themselves or the Club will.Each Club in C.C.L. Is given 6 passes by the League,for non playing staff to gain Free Entry to any C.C.L. Ground on matchdays.Then we get to moving Kick Off times,was this discussed before your entry into the League,as for as long as I can remember traditional games in the C.C.L. k.o was 3pm with lights,2pm without lights,but due only to financial constraints in my opinion,you want these moved to 1 pm.

Again Smudge you really do appear to bashing Guernsey at every opportunity. I think the majority of the Guernsey posters have been more than realistic on the whole.

• It may be longer than normal, but the costs are being covered so that no player is any more out of pocket, than they would be travelling to Horley FC, so what's the issue?
  • How would this be a H&S issue? The barriers seem no nearer than at most clubs and if anything they appeared to be quite a bit further back than at some.
  • You get that at most grounds where they have a bit of a crowd, so again I see no issue. As long as it's not physical what's the problem?
  • I don't know of any team in the CCL that has a specific kit man. It is usually someone who does plenty of other things on a match day......just ask Duncs :waytogo: :bounce:
  • One last thing, I'm pretty sure any club can change the KO time, even the date, as long as both teams agree and the League also. How is that Guernsey changing the goalposts?

You might not mean to Smudge, but you do appear to be trying to find issues/problems where there really aren't any. How about letting things settle down and then if at the end of the season it has been a big balls up, then feel free to turn round and say a big "I TOLD YOU SO" to us all.........I'll then ask you for the lottery No's as you can obv predict the future!!!

Edited by bomaya
quotes

Jurgs my dear friend,have you viewed, the video,the railings behind the goals did not go right across the ground,just to either side of the goals,and with 2000/3000 people expected to attend would of been unsafe,how many stewards were present,I saw 1.Players may well not be out of pocket as you state,but a Club is not just about Players,there are many people at all non league Clubs who work hard,some even pay for the priviledge,who would like to go for Free,but will be unable too due to the cost.

Those Highlights look awesome - might go for a trial at Guernsey :futbolbud2: ;) Pitch looks lovely too.

If i play this season will be looking forward to that game!....Or i could Join up with TRS this season and commentate ........cheesy%20(2).gif

Smudge, I can't imagine all 2/3k fans will be camped behind the goal mate! There didn't seem that many the other day out of a crowd of 1k. Personally think 22 is plenty with a split of 15 players and 7 managers/officials

You are just impossible Smudge. I know many will say that I have taken the bait, but I am so sick of your comments that I just cant be bothered anymore